cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good customer service --it still exists!

tag
newstart2010
Blogger

Re: Good customer service --it still exists!

I actually had great customer service from a new millennium CSR of all things.  All over the net people say you have to pay to talk to them, that if you do not have an account setup you will never get to talk to them, that there is no help from them, that most of them don't speak english, etc etc.

I applied for the cards, they took my set up fee out of my account, and I wanted to call and see if there was anything I could to to expidite the cards being sent out.  I know that verification of my address and name was required.

I called the main bank, and they politely transfered me to credit card services.  The woman i got (Elaine) was extremely nice.  The name on my license does not match with the name on my bill, and the name I applied in.  Social security thinks its funny that after being married for 10 years they still won't change my name in their database, no matter what I do.  So my license shows my maiden name.  She tells me that I need to send in a copy of my license, my social security card, my bill, etc.  I told her I did not have a copy of my SSN card, she said a W-2 would do.  I explain the situation with my name, and she gave me a fax number and told me to fax everything directly to her.   I faxed it in and she handled all of the identity verification herself to make sure that it did not get delayed.

Sub-prime card, yes.  But I have heard tons of horror stories and felt bad about having to use them.  So far my experience is starting out great with them!!

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 11 of 24
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I received some good customer service out of the blue the other evening, and after recovering from the shock, I figured I'd share.

(Die-hard Chase haters, you might want to skip this next part.)

As I've posted before, I had a Chase Borders Visa that was phased out and replaced with a Chase Freedom. This was last August, as in 5 months ago. I immediately tried to sign up for the 3 rotating rewards categories, but every time I tried, I got a message that I needed to put in some special code. CS told me that marketing would e-mail me the code, doubtless any day.

I kept calling once or twice a month, increasingly irate that my Freedom card was a complete dud, having only the so-called Ultimate Rewards program on it. At various times, I had CSR's scold me for being pushy, tell me that my account must be in sorry shape or I would have been given the code already, claim that they would send an e-mail, give me phone numbers that were disconnected, or flat-out tell me that there was no such thing as the rotating rewards, that it was all Ultimate Rewards.

Two evenings ago, I finally got lucky, reaching a front-line rep who passed me up to a supe almost immediately. The supe went in, checked my account, and came back to say that he had no idea why I hadn't been given the rewards, and that he saw no e-mails from CS regarding this, and that he was e-mailing marketing immediately to ask that they look into this. This cheered me up pretty well, and then out of the blue, he added that he was crediting my account $15 in apology for any rewards I might have missed out on during the past 5 months. Now that was going the extra mile.

Anyone else been surprised recently by good service?

It's nice to hear that someone, somewhere goes the extra mile to address customer concerns.  That's such a rare thing these days that I make sure that the extra effort by the employee is brought to the attention of management, in the hopes it'll start a trend of every employee willingly going that extra mile as standard operating procedure.

Maybe that's wishful thinking, but you never know!  :smileyhappy:   A little appreciation for good service received goes a long way.

Message 12 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So you are saying that creditors have the obligation to offer a phone recon or individual credit consultation with an underwriter? 

And that a credit card issuer has the obligation to split your limit on one card and give you another card without so much as an inquiry?

Nice dream.

We'll see how long you remain enthralled with Chase and Barclay CS...
Message 13 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Uborrow-Upay wrote:

It's nice to hear that someone, somewhere goes the extra mile to address customer concerns.  That's such a rare thing these days that I make sure that the extra effort by the employee is brought to the attention of management, in the hopes it'll start a trend of every employee willingly going that extra mile as standard operating procedure.

Maybe that's wishful thinking, but you never know!  :smileyhappy:   A little appreciation for good service received goes a long way.

That's a good point!

I usually make a note of CS names, but I was so startled to have two people who were actually apologetic and helpful that my brain froze up. I'll send an e-mail citing my phone call and the professionalism of the employees.

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Sorry, but I'm not too impressed. All they did is do what they should have in the beginning. We've really been condition to settle for very inferior service. While I've managed to get what I want from Chase CS when I've asked for something I am very unimpressed with the process. Whenever you get something they let you know they're doing you a big favor. Balderdash!

CWCID, I agree that this should be the norm. But in fact, in most cases, it's not. I posted because I thought it might be an indicator that banks are possibly moving back toward acting in a businesslike manner, aka treating customers with a little respect.

Either that, or my CSR's were brought up right. Smiley Wink (This relates to the ultimate insult from a Southerner: "You must not have been brought up right." Not only does it insult the person you're talking to, but also his/ her mama and daddy, both sets of grandparents, assorted aunts and uncles, older siblings, teachers, Sunday School teachers, scout leaders, the next-door neighbor who paid you to cut their grass and watch the cat while they were gone, and anyone else who might have had some input into the raising of this child.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Either that, or my CSR's were brought up right. Smiley Wink

I'm pretty sure this is the case. A proper upbringing can overcome some of the obstacles even the most ridiculous bureaucracy can impose.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So you are saying that creditors have the obligation to offer a phone recon or individual credit consultation with an underwriter? 

And that a credit card issuer has the obligation to split your limit on one card and give you another card without so much as an inquiry?

Nice dream.

We'll see how long you remain enthralled with Chase and Barclay CS...

Withh Chase it has been a loooong, loooong time now.  Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Making you quite the exception to the rule!
Message 17 of 24
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I hate to disagree with you HTSU, but your story shows how bad Chase's CS is. You had to call more than one time to resolve simple issue, you had to talk to more than one CSR, till you found one who would get up and do what he/she is paid to do.

When I decided PC my Chase card, I had to call 6 or 7 days, 4-5 times a day to get them to do what I asked them to do. Last CSR was sweetest and most polite person I ever spoke to, but still I call it bad, unprofessional CS.

I received some good customer service out of the blue the other evening, and after recovering from the shock, I figured I'd share.

(Die-hard Chase haters, you might want to skip this next part.)

As I've posted before, I had a Chase Borders Visa that was phased out and replaced with a Chase Freedom. This was last August, as in 5 months ago. I immediately tried to sign up for the 3 rotating rewards categories, but every time I tried, I got a message that I needed to put in some special code. CS told me that marketing would e-mail me the code, doubtless any day.

I kept calling once or twice a month, increasingly irate that my Freedom card was a complete dud, having only the so-called Ultimate Rewards program on it. At various times, I had CSR's scold me for being pushy, tell me that my account must be in sorry shape or I would have been given the code already, claim that they would send an e-mail, give me phone numbers that were disconnected, or flat-out tell me that there was no such thing as the rotating rewards, that it was all Ultimate Rewards.

Two evenings ago, I finally got lucky, reaching a front-line rep who passed me up to a supe almost immediately. The supe went in, checked my account, and came back to say that he had no idea why I hadn't been given the rewards, and that he saw no e-mails from CS regarding this, and that he was e-mailing marketing immediately to ask that they look into this. This cheered me up pretty well, and then out of the blue, he added that he was crediting my account $15 in apology for any rewards I might have missed out on during the past 5 months. Now that was going the extra mile.

Anyone else been surprised recently by good service?

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 18 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I hear ya, and I'm not saying that the regular CS is any good. I was just amazed that when I was finally able to get beyond the basic level, someone finally figured it out.

It's a sad state of affairs when good CS is defined in contrast to the usual (bad) CS. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

That was the point I've been trying to make and I'm sticking with it!
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.