Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good ole Disco. Another 0 apr year, and lower permanent apr

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Good ole Disco. Another 0 apr year, and lower permanent apr

That's what I do i have alert through my calendar every 6 months to remind me for all my cc's and shoot for lower apr and spend bonus. So far I've been offered something every 6 months. Lucky I guess
Message 11 of 17
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

That's great.

I'm rather disappointed because I hoped they would give me extra cashback, and they seem to be fine with losing me as a customer completely rather than give me an extra something. (I also have checking and savings with them, but I don't really use the savings yet.) I feel like my history with them has been good enough that they should give me extra cashback, but I guess they don't care since my score isn't great and other factors.

I probably have to stop using them for a while and then try, but it's inconvenient at the moment because some of my plans got delayed. I wanted to get extra cashback now before I purchase a couple things.

I do AZEO.
Message 12 of 17
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

@CA4Closure wrote:

I have a high FICO score with Discover with <1% utilization and they will not lower my APR from 15.9% to 12%! They also will not give me a CLI even though I have an exemplary payment record with them. I am using my NFCU credit cards as my daily drivers now. Plus, Discover no longer has balance transfers for me. Every time they promote it on my profile I do not need it. When I need it, it is not available for me to use. 

So I am sock drawering the Discover card for the holidays in favor or NFCU Cash Rewards and AMEX Go Rewards cards.

Hmm, wow. Their loss.

I do AZEO.
Message 13 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Swatch wrote:

That's great.

I'm rather disappointed because I hoped they would give me extra cashback, and they seem to be fine with losing me as a customer completely rather than give me an extra something. (I also have checking and savings with them, but I don't really use the savings yet.) I feel like my history with them has been good enough that they should give me extra cashback, but I guess they don't care since my score isn't great and other factors.

I probably have to stop using them for a while and then try, but it's inconvenient at the moment because some of my plans got delayed. I wanted to get extra cashback now before I purchase a couple things.

Getting extra cashback offers after initial promo, which is a really good promo by the way, is not very common and in no way shows uou how Discover " feels" about you. Discover is great about allowing us to request lowering of our apr permanently or given additional 0% purchase promos and we should be thankful because most lenders do not do this. Most lenders you are stuck at your apr given at opening of your credit card. Best way to look at people getting promos is to remember everyones experience may vary, YEMV/YMMV .

Message 14 of 17
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Getting extra cashback offers after initial promo, which is a really good promo by the way, is not very common and in no way shows uou how Discover " feels" about you. Discover is great about allowing us to request lowering of our apr permanently or given additional 0% purchase promos and we should be thankful because most lenders do not do this. Most lenders you are stuck at your apr given at opening of your credit card. Best way to look at people getting promos is to remember everyones experience may vary, YEMV/YMMV .

But it's a fact: they would rather have me close my account than give me an extra 1% for 6 months or 12 months. I explained to them that I really can't make use of the 2% or 5% categories, so it's basically a 1% card to me. They can look at my history, my cashback earnings would be down around 1.03%.

I know that it's just a computer algorithm and a business, and I don't have a great credit score like some others. But my view of the company and my interest in their products has changed because of this single interaction with this rep.

I'm trying to decide between companies for business checking and a business card (which could earn a company good money), and Disco is a bit less interesting to me now. (Besides, they report to personal and don't offer business checking. But I do not qualify for some of the better cards due to my personal score, so I may have to consider ones that report to personal.)

(They also apparently cannot convert me to the Miles card without HP which is something they used to do for customers.)

I do AZEO.
Message 15 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Swatch wrote:

But it's a fact: they would rather have me close my account than give me an extra 1% for 6 months or 12 months. I explained to them that I really can't make use of the 2% or 5% categories, so it's basically a 1% card to me. They can look at my history, my cashback earnings would be down around 1.03%.

I know that it's just a computer algorithm and a business, and I don't have a great credit score like some others. But my view of the company and my interest in their products has changed because of this single interaction with this rep.

I'm trying to decide between companies for business checking and a business card (which could earn a company good money), and Disco is a bit less interesting to me now. (Besides, they report to personal and don't offer business checking. But I do not qualify for some of the better cards due to my personal score, so I may have to consider ones that report to personal.)

(They also apparently cannot convert me to the Miles card without HP which is something they used to do for customers.)

You cant base your feelings off one experience with a single csr, who often times dont even know  their own companies policies,  i honestly can say its not fact that Discover would prefer you close your account than offer you more cash back for 6 months.

Discover cards are structured and their terms are plain  and simple . When one applies , they should read what it entails which is usually double cash back 1st year, either 2%, 5% , or 3% on Miles than resorts to either 1% or rotating cats. 

We cant force them to give us promos that often are as random as a cli. At the end of the day you can choose to go which ever route you like but if you stay on that road you might find a wallet with no lendersSmiley Wink. Their terms their game. Wish you the best going forwardSmiley Happy

Message 16 of 17
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

You cant base your feelings off one experience with a single csr, who often times dont even know  their own companies policies,  i honestly can say its not fact that Discover would prefer you close your account than offer you more cash back for 6 months.

Discover cards are structured and their terms are plain  and simple . When one applies , they should read what it entails which is usually double cash back 1st year, either 2%, 5% , or 3% on Miles than resorts to either 1% or rotating cats. 

We cant force them to give us promos that often are as random as a cli. At the end of the day you can choose to go which ever route you like but if you stay on that road you might find a wallet with no lendersSmiley Wink. Their terms their game. Wish you the best going forwardSmiley Happy

Yes, I was aware that the cashback would drop down after a year (and I planned to stop using the card after a year). My initial post was just to say that I am one with the opposite experience: that I'm disappointed (and will have to stop using that card) as I had gotten my hopes up about Discover cashback recently.

It's interesting that others seem to find them and Citi to do "random" bonuses and CLIs. I think that they must use algorithms.

I do AZEO.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.