cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good rewards cards from non major banks with no annual fees and preferably a sign up bonus?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Good rewards cards from non major banks with no annual fees and preferably a sign up bonus?

@MacCreed wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
oops! Check Synovus, BBT and BBVA.

Thank you!   Is Synovus related to Synchrony?  I will check it out!  

BTW is BB&T merging with SunTrust?  Will the cards stay the same after merging?  I got pre-approvals on their site for 3 cards.  The cash back one sounds great just no bonus.  

Synovus and Synchrony are as different/separate as Chase and Comenity (i.e. not connected at all).

Yes, BB&T is merging with SunTrust, and it's not known what will change/stay the same after the merger. 

BB&T has soft-pull approvals right now (SunTrust doesn't) so many people are getting with BB&T for that reason knowing later the card will be with Truist Bank (the merged entity).

Message 21 of 35
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Re: Good rewards cards from non major banks with no annual fees and preferably a sign up bonus?

@MacCreed wrote:

But I just read about HSBC, PNC, BB&T, BBVA, Harris and a bunch more and realize there are other banks!  Less known but give great rewards. 

What is your idea of a major bank, because HSBC is a major bank. Define "Major Banks". Can you list the banks you are considering a major bank so we can exclude it?

Message 22 of 35
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

@MacCreed wrote:

@calyx wrote:

What are you looking for?  Particular categories, overall cash back, miles, points, etc?

Calyx, I am still learning and think any rewards would be great!   Cash back if I have to choose i suppose since it is easier.  Categories would be things like groceries, dining, travel but not far away fancy travel, more like gas and city subway and busses.

No annual fee is important. 

I already got an American Express Blue Cash with no annual fee and a Cash Magnet and love them. But I just read about HSBC, PNC, BB&T, BBVA, Harris and a bunch more and realize there are other banks!  Less known but give great rewards. 

I know you've asked for non-major banks, but based on your spend categories listed (and with groceries covered by the Amex), you might find the Wells Fargo Propel checks all the boxes.  

Message 23 of 35
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

@MacCreed wrote:

@I_Love_Cards wrote:
What do you spend your money on? What constitutes a “Good” card is one that earns rewards on the things you actually spend money on; and the rewards earned are something you value.

For example-FNBO Duck’s unlimited is a “good” card because it has 5% cash back on gas. It’s not a good card for me because I spend maybe $25 a month on gas. I DO spend a boatload or money on utilities, groceries and travel. So my “good” cards are based on that.

I did just get a mailer for a BBVA card where you select your own rewards categories- I don’t know specifically what the categories are or what is included in umbrella categories like “travel”, “health” and “maintenance”.

Which card is good for utilities groceries and travel?  That sounds good!  

I don't have anything for utilities (as a category) yet.  I've had the US Bank Cash+ on my wish list, but need considerably fewer new accounts/inquiries before that's an option.  Hence the reason the Clearpoints caught my eye.   For me the "health" or "maintenance" (depending on what that even is) could be quite valuable as my orher category.  But utilities for sure.  I have grocery and travel on many cards in a lot of different flavors already.  I'm not sure there's a card that offers all three together.  

Message 24 of 35
MacCreed
Valued Member

@UncleB wrote:

@MacCreed wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
oops! Check Synovus, BBT and BBVA.

Thank you!   Is Synovus related to Synchrony?  I will check it out!  

BTW is BB&T merging with SunTrust?  Will the cards stay the same after merging?  I got pre-approvals on their site for 3 cards.  The cash back one sounds great just no bonus.  

Synovus and Synchrony are as different/separate as Chase and Comenity (i.e. not connected at all).

Yes, BB&T is merging with SunTrust, and it's not known what will change/stay the same after the merger. 

BB&T has soft-pull approvals right now (SunTrust doesn't) so many people are getting with BB&T for that reason knowing later the card will be with Truist Bank (the merged entity).

I checked BB&T and Regions using the links found in threads here and I am pre qualified for everything.  But not BBVA.  BBVA says sorry no soup for you!  Lol

Too bad because I really like their ClearPoints card.  

Message 25 of 35
MacCreed
Valued Member

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@MacCreed wrote:

But I just read about HSBC, PNC, BB&T, BBVA, Harris and a bunch more and realize there are other banks!  Less known but give great rewards. 

What is your idea of a major bank, because HSBC is a major bank. Define "Major Banks". Can you list the banks you are considering a major bank so we can exclude it?

It's like whenever I Google what are best credit cards they are always from the same few banks. Like Chase, American Express, Capital One, Citibank, Bank of America, Discover plus some army credit unions that I dont qualify for.  So yeah that's the list. 

Message 26 of 35
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

@MacCreed wrote:

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@MacCreed wrote:

It's like whenever I Google what are best credit cards they are always from the same few banks. Like Chase, American Express, Capital One, Citibank, Bank of America, Discover plus some army credit unions that I dont qualify for.  So yeah that's the list. 

Just something to keep in mind is that asking what's "the best" credit card is a little like asking what's "the best" meal.  

The answer will always be "it depends"

It depends on how you spend your money, what kind of rewards you value, overall lifestyle/preferences, your credit/debt profile,  how much you value certain bank attributes....

You don't want "the best" credit card.  You want the best cash back/travel--ish credit card with rewards for the things you spend money on (dining/transit?).  That would be the best card for you.  That would be a terrible card for me (not terrible I guess, but definitely not the top of my list).  Therefore, not a google "best card".  

Just like surf and turf is a great meal for me, but a horrible meal for a vegan.  

I know you're looking for not main banks-but I think you'll find your "best" card isn't so much based on which bank issues it, but the characteristics/reward structure of the card. 

Message 27 of 35
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@MacCreed wrote:

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@MacCreed wrote:

NFCU (Navy Federal Credit Union) is fantastic, and if your parent, grandparent, or any sibling served you're eligible (many have gained membership via a grandparent who served).

Message 28 of 35
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@MacCreed wrote:

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@MacCreed wrote:

NFCU (Navy Federal Credit Union) is fantastic, and if your parent, grandparent, or any sibling served you're eligible (many have gained membership via a grandparent who served).

Which card of theirs do you have ? Smiley Happy

And do you still like it? (since I see this post is 4-month old)

Potential Future Cards
Message 29 of 35
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Edit: Already answered by many !
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.