Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye AMEX Platinum Forever

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Goodbye AMEX Platinum Forever

Spending power on Amex charge cards fluctuates based on - ? - not sure, I suppose recent use. On m Gold Card, my spending power has been as low as $5,000 and as high as $25,000. It is currently about $12,500, last time I checked (yesterday). If you need to use it for a large purchase, I would suggest calling them first; though from your list of cards, I would imagine you had multiple ways to pay ...

I do see a lot of annual fees in your list. Traveling once or twice a year, as you mentioned, might make it hard to get all the value out of that list. You have a CSR. So, I think closing the Platinum may make sense for that reason.

Personally, I'd sock-drawer the no-AF cards instead of closing them. Because 1) utilization 2) who knows what the future holds. That's just me, though.

As a random response to an earlier comment, the PayPal MC doesn't have an app, but the web interface works fine. Easy to redeem rewards, assuming you have a laptop or at least a tablet ...

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 21 of 55
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Didn't you hear? We're supposed to be mad at Chase today.

I couldn't defend 🧦 with the fervor I see sometimes when it comes to Amex. 

Message 22 of 55
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

Spending power on Amex charge cards fluctuates based on - ? - not sure, I suppose recent use. On m Gold Card, my spending power has been as low as $5,000 and as high as $25,000. It is currently about $12,500, last time I checked (yesterday). If you need to use it for a large purchase, I would suggest calling them first; though from your list of cards, I would imagine you had multiple ways to pay ...

I do see a lot of annual fees in your list. Traveling once or twice a year, as you mentioned, might make it hard to get all the value out of that list. You have a CSR. So, I think closing the Platinum may make sense for that reason.

Personally, I'd sock-drawer the no-AF cards instead of closing them. Because 1) utilization 2) who knows what the future holds. That's just me, though.

As a random response to an earlier comment, the PayPal MC doesn't have an app, but the web interface works fine. Easy to redeem rewards, assuming you have a laptop or at least a tablet ...

I did realize that in my comment.. it was a Joking way. The spending alerts are out of this worldSmiley Surprised

Message 23 of 55
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I view the Amex Platinum as a niche card.  If you're not traveling regularly then the card really doesn't serve a purpose.  You'd think that a Premium Travel card would offer some sort of bonus category for car rental, trains, parking, tolls, ride share, fuel, primary rental insurance, or at least a bonus if you book directly with airlines AND hotels.   Heck they could at least offer 5x when using an OTA like Chase and even Citi.   But that's probably never going to happen as they want folks to venture over to their often inflated travel portal.

This card falls flat when compared to other travel cards.  However if one wants an access pass to limited and crowded lounges with room temperature soup, hummus, stale crackers, loud talkers and chewers, and on occasion the snorer who really should consider a CPAP machine then this card stands at the ready.  

Teasing this card aside, it truly is for the jetsetter.  Vote with your dollars OP.  Don't hang on to it or downgrade just because others are telling you to.  You know what works best for you.  Don't let the voices of none of us drown out that of your own.  

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.  

Message 24 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

As much as I am tempted by 100k MR offer. The math never worked for me. Tried multiple times, just couldn't make it work.

Dealing with headspinning credit installations and 5k minimum spending don't help with decision neither.

Message 25 of 55
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As much as I am tempted by 100k MR offer. The math never worked for me. Tried multiple times, just couldn't make it work.

Dealing with headspinning credit installations and 5k minimum spending don't help with decision neither.

I have been over the math many times, and even though I would get a $150/year statement credit due to the Corporate Advantage Program (at least until I leave my company or they discontinue the program), I still struggle to make the math work. I had been planning to eventually downgrade my Hilton card (it is an Aspire, with PP), which would mean no lounge access; I would then be willing to go a little beyond pure math to have lounge access; my plan was to get a CSR late next year when I'm below 5/24, but now I'm rethinking the math there, too. I may just get the Platinum and be done with it.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 26 of 55
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been over the math many times, and even though I would get a $150/year statement credit due to the Corporate Advantage Program (at least until I leave my company or they discontinue the program), I still struggle to make the math work. I had been planning to eventually downgrade my Hilton card (it is an Aspire, with PP), which would mean no lounge access; I would then be willing to go a little beyond pure math to have lounge access; my plan was to get a CSR late next year when I'm below 5/24, but now I'm rethinking the math there, too. I may just get the Platinum and be done with it.

Yeah. There is really no option left. I mean $550 AF just for the privilage of using the card. These banks are pulling in millions based on the tax breaks. They should be offering more not less. But here we are. 

I currently have the Amex Plat, AMex Aspire, and the CSR. That's $550+$450+$550. I REALLY like HIltons and I get Diamond status with them. I like the reserved parking spaces. Smiley Happy  

I keep reading about the Altitude Reserve. I am a US Bank customer. That and the Hilton Aspire may be a good combo. 

Message 27 of 55
iced
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Indeed, it is pretty impressive how emotional some people get over a credit card. To read how someone describes a sacred bond between life-long friends being betrayed somtimes describes less pain than some of the posts I read around here.

It's almost as impressive as the "vengeance" that some take by closing cards or moving spend, as if somehow it will result in some executive huddled in the fetal position crying about the one that got away...if only they hadn't of taken AA!

Message 28 of 55
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Indeed, it is pretty impressive how emotional some people get over a credit card. To read how someone describes a sacred bond between life-long friends being betrayed somtimes describes less pain than some of the posts I read around here.

It's almost as impressive as the "vengeance" that some take by closing cards or moving spend, as if somehow it will result in some executive huddled in the fetal position crying about the one that got away...if only they hadn't of taken AA!

In the retail industry we call that a Karen

Message 29 of 55
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I see it this way. If these were no fee cards. Sure, whatever. But if you're paying a fee just to have the card in your wallet, and they take adverse actions on your card when the no-fee cards leave you alone, I think that deserves some emotion. It's like a cable company yanking your sports package on the weekend during playoffs because some AI program thinks you are at risk of not paying your cable bill. That would piss a few people off. Especially when there are competitors that don't do that to their customers. Or if you're leasing a car and the bank reduces your mile allowance just before you're about to take a trip because their AI said you're a higher risk for not paying the car note. ALl the while you ahve been paying all of your bills on time without fault for years. I would certainly take my business to their competitor after ripping them a new one.

Silence and apathy signals to them that they can do anything they want and we just accept it. But we know the squeaky wheels always get the grease. 

Message 30 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.