Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye Continental Finance!

tag
kidink1911
Established Contributor

Goodbye Continental Finance!

When I started rebuilding my credit I app'd for the SURGE card from Continental Finance. The entire time I had the call I NEVER charged anything on it.

Well after the free year of "no monthly maintenance fees" and "no annual fee" SURGE card tried to charge me a $96 annual fee and a $10 monthly maintenance fee for a card that I never used for the entire first year!!

I immediately called Continental Finance customer service line and spoke with a representative who must have thought I was born yesterday! I immediately told her that I needed to know what was necessary to close the account. She informed me that I could pay the $56 (apparently I had paid $50 in November 2016 on a card I had never charged and had a $50 credit) plus a $10 same day fee for a total of $66 to close the account as "fully paid" and it will report to the 3 CBs that way!

I am so glad that I am officially done with Continental Finance and have true CC that are deserving of my business!!

Chase Sapphire Preferred- Barclay JetBlue MC- Cap One QS

Barclay Apple Rewards- BOA Travel Rewards Visa Plus

Synchrony Walmart MC- BP Gas- Milestone- Credit One

PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
6 REPLIES 6
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Goodbye Continental Finance!

@kidink1911 wrote:

When I started rebuilding my credit I app'd for the SURGE card from Continental Finance. The entire time I had the call I NEVER charged anything on it.

Well after the free year of "no monthly maintenance fees" and "no annual fee" SURGE card tried to charge me a $96 annual fee and a $10 monthly maintenance fee for a card that I never used for the entire first year!!

I immediately called Continental Finance customer service line and spoke with a representative who must have thought I was born yesterday! I immediately told her that I needed to know what was necessary to close the account. She informed me that I could pay the $56 (apparently I had paid $50 in November 2016 on a card I had never charged and had a $50 credit) plus a $10 same day fee for a total of $66 to close the account as "fully paid" and it will report to the 3 CBs that way!

I am so glad that I am officially done with Continental Finance and have true CC that are deserving of my business!!

So why not close the Credit One and the Milestone while the pan is hot.....

You dont need them.. they will stay on your report for up to 10 years..

They will not affect your AAoA by closing them now..

-J

Message 2 of 7
kidink1911
Established Contributor

You're absolutely right Joltdude! I've worked extremely hard to get prime CC and I can close that door behind me! Thanks for the motivation!!
PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kidink1911 wrote:

Congratulations

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats, i thought by the title that there was no more Continental Finance and that as i was reading they were gonna tell you they were no more. SHEESH, i need a hobby Smiley Wink lol Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 7
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
 SHEESH, i need a hobby Smiley Wink lol Smiley Happy

MyFico Forums is a hobby...

I need to get a life!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upon reading your post, and recently getting approved for the Amex BCE, I just called and closed my Surge card as well. Smiley Happy My annual fee was due next month and your post reminded me of that, so thanks again. cheers!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.