Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye First Premier, HELLO NFCU!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goodbye First Premier, HELLO NFCU!

@Chester

My mother-in-law was career military in the Army, so I asked my wife to join NFCU - and she got her account set up immediately on Thursday. Her mom didn't need to join, didn't need her social, anything like that - they just confirmed that she'd be eligible through her 20+ years of service, which means that my wife was eligible, so she joined. Once she got her access number, I called in to join too. They said they had to verify the account, so it took a few days. Yesterday (Tuesday) evening I recieved my access number and all that stuff. I had to send in a copy of my ID to verify my identity, that was the only real hassle.

The first rep I'd asked said that her mother would have to join before my wife could, but all the others had no problems with us joining without her mom becoming a member - so if you get a rep that gives you problems, just call back. The vast majority of NFCU's employees have been really helpful on the phone.

@rebuilding

I think you'd have to ask the membership department that. DOD civilian contractors are eligible, but I'm guessing it depends on the exact contract with the AFB.
But, NFCU does say:

"Civilian Defense Contractor

This includes all contractors who work for private and public companies who have a contract with the Department of Defense and regularly work at a U.S. Government Installation or facility, afloat or ashore."

So as long as your company has some sort of contract with the Air Force, I'd imagine you could be eligible. But you should call and ask. If you get told no, call back later and ask again. Some reps are just way better at helping than others. Overall NFCU's customer service seems exceptional so far.

Message 11 of 23
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congratulations! How wonderful for you. What an awesome CL! Smiley Happy

I tried to join because my grandfather served in the Marines in WWII, but they said that I wouldn't qualify because he wasn't "career" military. I grew up hearing his stories about WWII and can't help but feel disappointed that that doesn't count in their eyes.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear you. My grandfather, uncle, and stepfather were all Naval officers. It wasn't until I remembered my MIL works at an army hospital that I was able to become eligible. Heck, my grandfather lied about his age so he could get into the Navy. I heard all kinds of stories, so I'm with you.
Message 13 of 23
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

It's great that you found a way in. I keep wracking my brain, trying to think of something. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 14 of 23
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

You can always enlist in the service - marry a member - or move in with a member and gain eligibility. Just kidding I hope you know.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woohoo! Got our cards in the mail. It feels darn good to see that $7,000 credit limit. Considering we're less than a year out of bankruptcy, I don't think we could do much better. Hopefully it'll hit 5 figures by the end of the year.

Message 16 of 23
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Woohoo! Got our cards in the mail. It feels darn good to see that $7,000 credit limit. Considering we're less than a year out of bankruptcy, I don't think we could do much better. Hopefully it'll hit 5 figures by the end of the year.

Congrats on the cards !!!

Just wondering if you could share your scores at the time of your application and what did they pull?

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

They pulled EQ and TU. Odd, because they seem to have pulled TU for her and EQ for me. All of our scores are right around 600. My EQ was 589 a week or so ago. TU was 593 last I checked. Not sure about DW but last we checked (a month or so ago) she was hovering in that same area. We've both gotten baddies removed recently and brought down our utilization.

Message 18 of 23
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They pulled EQ and TU. Odd, because they seem to have pulled TU for her and EQ for me. All of our scores are right around 600. My EQ was 589 a week or so ago. TU was 593 last I checked. Not sure about DW but last we checked (a month or so ago) she was hovering in that same area. We've both gotten baddies removed recently and brought down our utilization.

Excellent, that's great with your scores and you got that kind of a credit limit. You lucky son of a gun Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I hadnt already seen all the posts here, I wouldve been shocked. I hadn't really told DW much about the place, though, so her jaw hit the floor. I was expecting $3k-$5k based on our scores, so I was pleasantly surprised. As I said, they will have all of our business before long. Already changed our DD over.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.