cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye USAA...

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Contributor

Re: Goodbye USAA...

Not sure I understand the USAA-bashing on this thread.  I'm not eligible to join USAA, but if I were, I would join in a heartbeat.  And I say that having been a member of NFCU since the 1970s and the of PenFed since the 1990s.

Chase Sapphire Reserve • PenFed Power Cash Rewards • and five cards in the sock drawer

No CC debt • No bonus chasing • No app sprees • No gift cards • No AZEO • No airline incidentals • No hotel cards • No store cards • No business cards • No authorized users
Message 21 of 32
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Goodbye USAA...

Wow OP my head was actually spinning after reading your comments. As others have said or implied, you’re in for a rude awakening if you close or dish CCs that you deem their SLs are not up to your high standing. Sometimes a lender just may want to see how well you handle their CC if you already have several high CLs. Or maybe they think you’re not going to really use their card since you already have other high limit cards. Who knows what goes on in the machine’s algorithms.

As @gmood said, SLs are not just about 800 scores, it’s about a combination of factors that come into play. And it doesn’t happen overnight.

It’s not about how a bank treats you. They don’t care about us unless we’re the Buffets and Gates of the world. Oh my, did I actually forget Bezos. Lending institutions are in business to make a profit. Nothing more, nothing less! You can close every single one of your accounts tomorrow, and there won’t even be an inkling that you existed—in the financial world, that is.

So my suggestion, IMHO, is not to stress out and take it out on lending institutions because of a low SL. And oh yeah, IME, my insurance policy rates depended on my scores, not my CLs.

GL2U
GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club

GIRL WILLPOWER ("No Thanks" to Apple $7.5K, 12.99% Approval)


JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 22 of 32
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Goodbye USAA...

@Finstar said:

Mr FinStar, the reason for the 'suckiest' rate provided was based on our actuary UW model which was the result of your...ummm Kohl's CC ($3K) - plus the others sprinkled in between - yes you may have high limits but that Kohl's gotta go. That's all." 😁
————-

If I only could stop laughing 😂😁😂🤣. Thank Gawd I hadn’t taken that sip of 200 degree hot coffee.

GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club

GIRL WILLPOWER ("No Thanks" to Apple $7.5K, 12.99% Approval)


JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 23 of 32
Regular Contributor

Re: Goodbye USAA...

I'm entitled to do business with whom ever I decide and discontinue that relationship for whatever reason I feel. There are many people who love a product, company or people and others who don't. If I say I love my new neighborhood and couldn't wait to move out of the last one, those giving me all the many reasons they're still in the old neighborhood has no bearing on my reasons. We all have different experiences and often see things differently. Someone posted I'm in for a rude surpise if I base anything on a small SL. No.... I have certain situations that appease me when dealing with companies and I wouldn't expect everyone to have the same reasons as I do. 90% of the time my SL's are nice and high, however, when they aren't, I'm not interested and I'm entitled to make that decision. There a good number of cc companies I've long ago decided I wouldn't want to do business with. However, those are my own reasons, not yours. Everyone is entitled to go where they'd like.  I'm not so much interested in how product x benefits you if I'm not interested.  I won't take a credit card with an interest rate higher than 11.99% but that's me. That's we makes me happy. And I don't carry balances. It's just "my thing". My choice...

Message 24 of 32
Valued Contributor

Re: Goodbye USAA...


@Flex1 wrote:

I'm entitled to do business with whom ever I decide and discontinue that relationship for whatever reason I feel. There are many people who love a product, company or people and others who don't. If I say I love my new neighborhood and couldn't wait to move out of the last one, those giving me all the many reasons they're still in the old neighborhood has no bearing on my reasons. We all have different experiences and often see things differently. Someone posted I'm in for a rude surpise if I base anything on a small SL. No.... I have certain situations that appease me when dealing with companies and I wouldn't expect everyone to have the same reasons as I do. 90% of the time my SL's are nice and high, however, when they aren't, I'm not interested and I'm entitled to make that decision. There a good number of cc companies I've long ago decided I wouldn't want to do business with. However, those are my own reasons, not yours. Everyone is entitled to go where they'd like.  I'm not so much interested in how product x benefits you if I'm not interested.  I won't take a credit card with an interest rate higher than 11.99% but that's me. That's we makes me happy. And I don't carry balances. It's just "my thing". My choice...


The parts I've highlighted in blue are absolutely true, but you took it a step further and announced your departure from USAA in such a way that implied that USAA's failure to meet your expectations was true for all of us.  We disagreed, so we responded.  Next time you break up with a lender for reasons that are unique to you, don't brag about it on myFICO.

Chase Sapphire Reserve • PenFed Power Cash Rewards • and five cards in the sock drawer

No CC debt • No bonus chasing • No app sprees • No gift cards • No AZEO • No airline incidentals • No hotel cards • No store cards • No business cards • No authorized users
Message 25 of 32
Established Contributor

Re: Goodbye USAA...

What he said ^^^^ and best wishes OP! Smiley Happy 

Started 6/6/2018 EX - 588 ; EQ - 667 ; TU 575

Updated 12/2018


Message 26 of 32
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Goodbye USAA...

+1 @UpperNwGuy
GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club

GIRL WILLPOWER ("No Thanks" to Apple $7.5K, 12.99% Approval)


JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 27 of 32
Frequent Contributor

Re: Goodbye USAA...

Is it possible to know how low this SL was? My first card with USAA was $2500 and my second SL was $8500. 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 28 of 32
Regular Contributor

Re: Goodbye USAA...


@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Flex1 wrote:

I'm entitled to do business with whom ever I decide and discontinue that relationship for whatever reason I feel. There are many people who love a product, company or people and others who don't. If I say I love my new neighborhood and couldn't wait to move out of the last one, those giving me all the many reasons they're still in the old neighborhood has no bearing on my reasons. We all have different experiences and often see things differently. Someone posted I'm in for a rude surpise if I base anything on a small SL. No.... I have certain situations that appease me when dealing with companies and I wouldn't expect everyone to have the same reasons as I do. 90% of the time my SL's are nice and high, however, when they aren't, I'm not interested and I'm entitled to make that decision. There a good number of cc companies I've long ago decided I wouldn't want to do business with. However, those are my own reasons, not yours. Everyone is entitled to go where they'd like.  I'm not so much interested in how product x benefits you if I'm not interested.  I won't take a credit card with an interest rate higher than 11.99% but that's me. That's we makes me happy. And I don't carry balances. It's just "my thing". My choice...


The parts I've highlighted in blue are absolutely true, but you took it a step further and announced your departure from USAA in such a way that implied that USAA's failure to meet your expectations was true for all of us.  We disagreed, so we responded.  Next time you break up with a lender for reasons that are unique to you, don't brag about it on myFICO.


I didn't imply USAA is a bad choice for everyone. I said I wasn't happy with how things went for me. There are many posts on the internet and one here, where someone was so dissappointed  with the SL they immediately canceled with USAA. I'm by far not the only person who has felt the SL didn't meet expectations with them. I disagree with those of you who imply that I shouldn't have an expectation at all.  I've read few posts where people were unhappy with Navy Fed, but I haven't had that experience. Brag...? That's a twist. It was simply a vent that wouldn't have mattered even if no one responded to at all. The member service rep told me many things have changed as they are growing at a rapid pace and have to adjust accordingly. While that's great, it isn't for me. I have specific things that I expect and typically get. It's okay to have standards. 

   One thing I forgot to mention was the interest rate was around 17 percent. Even though I don't carry a balance, I didn't want that either as its above what I typically get, which is between 7.99 and 11.99. The cards I have, I am exceptionally happy with in every way and that's the path I'll continue stay on.

   It's impossible for any company to make every customer happy. But If I end up on the side of unhappy customers, I don't have to stay, sock drawer the card etc...  I have options. I don't need the cards. This is fun for me. Maybe one day I may need one to lean on. But past and present, I haven't. So I can be picky.

Message 29 of 32
Contributor

Re: Goodbye USAA...


@Flex1 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Flex1 wrote:

I'm entitled to do business with whom ever I decide and discontinue that relationship for whatever reason I feel. There are many people who love a product, company or people and others who don't. If I say I love my new neighborhood and couldn't wait to move out of the last one, those giving me all the many reasons they're still in the old neighborhood has no bearing on my reasons. We all have different experiences and often see things differently. Someone posted I'm in for a rude surpise if I base anything on a small SL. No.... I have certain situations that appease me when dealing with companies and I wouldn't expect everyone to have the same reasons as I do. 90% of the time my SL's are nice and high, however, when they aren't, I'm not interested and I'm entitled to make that decision. There a good number of cc companies I've long ago decided I wouldn't want to do business with. However, those are my own reasons, not yours. Everyone is entitled to go where they'd like.  I'm not so much interested in how product x benefits you if I'm not interested.  I won't take a credit card with an interest rate higher than 11.99% but that's me. That's we makes me happy. And I don't carry balances. It's just "my thing". My choice...


The parts I've highlighted in blue are absolutely true, but you took it a step further and announced your departure from USAA in such a way that implied that USAA's failure to meet your expectations was true for all of us.  We disagreed, so we responded.  Next time you break up with a lender for reasons that are unique to you, don't brag about it on myFICO.


I didn't imply USAA is a bad choice for everyone. I said I wasn't happy with how things went for me. There are many posts on the internet and one here, where someone was so dissappointed  with the SL they immediately canceled with USAA. I'm by far not the only person who has felt the SL didn't meet expectations with them. I disagree with those of you who imply that I shouldn't have an expectation at all.  I've read few posts where people were unhappy with Navy Fed, but I haven't had that experience. Brag...? That's a twist. It was simply a vent that wouldn't have mattered even if no one responded to at all. The member service rep told me many things have changed as they are growing at a rapid pace and have to adjust accordingly. While that's great, it isn't for me. I have specific things that I expect and typically get. It's okay to have standards. 

   One thing I forgot to mention was the interest rate was around 17 percent. Even though I don't carry a balance, I didn't want that either as its above what I typically get, which is between 7.99 and 11.99. The cards I have, I am exceptionally happy with in every way and that's the path I'll continue stay on.

   It's impossible for any company to make every customer happy. But If I end up on the side of unhappy customers, I don't have to stay, sock drawer the card etc...  I have options. I don't need the cards. This is fun for me. Maybe one day I may need one to lean on. But past and present, I haven't. So I can be picky.


Ummm ok then........


Navy Amex 20k
Navy Cash Rewards 20k
Navy Platinum 15k
Discover It 16k
Citibank Preferred 11k
Penfed 17k
USAA 101st Airborne 6k
USAA Amex Rewards 2k
AmEx BCE 1k
Uber VISA 8k
Ducks Unlimited VISA 4K
Amex Platinum
Amex Gold
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.