Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye forever, Cap One Quicksilver.

tag
TaperRandy
Regular Contributor

Goodbye forever, Cap One Quicksilver.

I have spent years with this virtually no-frills card. The account (along with all my others) has always been current, no cash advancing, no over limits. However, whenever I apply for a credit line increase (788 Fico this month), it is always, always, denied. Generally with an ambiguous/perplexing bullet point explanation. I paid off a $3100 balance last week, and noticed that the card STILL carries a 25.24% APR (10% higher than any of my other cards). My year’s rewards by the way, yielded a whopping $19.23.

The CL on this card has been stagnated at 10k for years. Never an automated increase. Never have I received a single “in-house” offer of combining this CL with my Venture card. Accordingly, verbally I received no comprehensive explanation from the CSR as to why. I asked him to give me sufficient cause to keep utilizing the card. He was unable to, past his grammatical massacring of banal and eye rolling “roadside assistance and purchase protection “benefits”. 

I concluded by asking him...is there any reason why I should maintain this card at all? After his awkward pause, I answered for him. No.

Goodbye crappy card. You’re the Vanilla Ice cassette to my digital playlist, Quicksilver. 

EQ: 759 ; EXP: 797 ; TU: 758
BOA Cash Rewards:$27,000 ; BOA Business Cash Rewards:$30,000 ; AMEX PLATINUM BUSINESS-Open; Amex Business Blue- $30,000; AMEX Everyday Preferred: $30,000; Venture One:$11,750 ; QuickSilver:$10,500 ; CFU: $6,000 ; Home Depot: $15,000 ; Lowe's: $25,000 ; AMEX Business Plum: Open ; Discover It: $13,500; Elan Financial; $14,500; Citi Diamond Preferred-$11,000; CitiBusiness AAdvantage; $7,000; SYNC Welcome Home-$25,000
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goodbye forever, Cap One Quicksilver.

lol, im keeping it for foreign travels.

Message 2 of 26
UncleB
Credit Mentor

A few minor edits were made in the thread; here's a brief reminder on posting about foreign call centers:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/PLEASE-READ-Posting-About-Foreign-Call-Center-Frustrat...

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

To each their own. No sense in keeping a card that you don’t want.

I do have to ask, however: you seem to have a problem with Capital One in general, so why not close the Venture card too and focus on lenders that fit your ideal?

Finally, i always wonder why people call into CSRs and engage in a verbal volleyball match about something? Do you think these CSRs care that the card offers no benefits to you? They don’t. Just call and request to close it and carry on.
Message 4 of 26
TaperRandy
Regular Contributor

My original post is a sharing of a subjective experience with a particular card. It is posted to allow others whom may have similar experiences to obtain in part, an understanding of how the platform for the card operates. Relegating my intent to a “just shut up and close the card” (in essence), defeats the purpose. Thank you very little.

EQ: 759 ; EXP: 797 ; TU: 758
BOA Cash Rewards:$27,000 ; BOA Business Cash Rewards:$30,000 ; AMEX PLATINUM BUSINESS-Open; Amex Business Blue- $30,000; AMEX Everyday Preferred: $30,000; Venture One:$11,750 ; QuickSilver:$10,500 ; CFU: $6,000 ; Home Depot: $15,000 ; Lowe's: $25,000 ; AMEX Business Plum: Open ; Discover It: $13,500; Elan Financial; $14,500; Citi Diamond Preferred-$11,000; CitiBusiness AAdvantage; $7,000; SYNC Welcome Home-$25,000
Message 5 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, you know we all still secretly love listening to Ice Ice BabySmiley Wink 🐢
Message 6 of 26
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, you know we all still secretly love listening to Ice Ice BabySmiley Wink 🐢

Yes!!!! Joe Joe Baby!

CSR with a positive attitude vs. a nonchalant one can make a deal instead of break a deal.  Too bad.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly I have to wonder why you need more than $10K on a card you were using less than a third on?

Your rewards suggest less than $1500 spend ($19.23 / .015 = $1282). Seems to me that Capital One gave you plenty of credit for your usage. 

We are kind of spoiled on this forum. We get used to lenders who make bad business decisions and extend us way more credit than we have any need for and then we get ticked off when a lender like Capital One gives us what our spending says we should have. 

Good for you on getting rid of cards that you don't find useful but this isn't really a Capital One issue -- and they're not the only ones who won't lower an APR either. USAA and Chase are two off the top of my head that keep you at the same APR for the life of the account. 

Message 8 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

While I realize the topic at hand may have a variety of differing opinions, this is just a friendly reminder to keep things Friendly, Supportive and Respectful with all posts.  Thank you. 

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt I'll ever be a fan of Capital One.

Quite a number of years ago, doing a rebuild I had a secured card with them in Canada, with a $1000 deposit. My credit wasn't too badly damaged - I had late payments and accounts closed by the lender, but nothing ever went to an agency.

By the time a year was up I had a decent Visa and MC, with higher limits and rewards. I asked if they'd graduate (which they did at the time) and they said no, and I cancelled.

Years later they became the card issuer for Costco in Canada. A card with a decent 3% on restaurants, 2% on gas and 0.5% on everything else till you reached $1000 in purchases in the month. And to top it off, they have a policiy of never increasing the CL.

So right now I have a platinum with them that I just got, primarily because no one else would give me a US MasterCard and I need one. I hope they'll be better to deal with this time around. I'd like to graduate to a cashback MasterCard for use at Costco in Canada - all my other needs are covered nicely by my existing cards.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.