cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye forever, Cap One Quicksilver.

tag
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Goodbye forever, Cap One Quicksilver.

OP

You charge $100 per month on average and are upset that Cap One does not increase your $10,000 CL???

No frills = 1.5% cash back, no AF, No FTFs, 0% promotions, Siggy benefits, and a $10k credit line?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I doubt I'll ever be a fan of Capital One.

Quite a number of years ago, doing a rebuild I had a secured card with them in Canada, with a $1000 deposit. My credit wasn't too badly damaged - I had late payments and accounts closed by the lender, but nothing ever went to an agency.

By the time a year was up I had a decent Visa and MC, with higher limits and rewards. I asked if they'd graduate (which they did at the time) and they said no, and I cancelled.

Years later they became the card issuer for Costco in Canada. A card with a decent 3% on restaurants, 2% on gas and 0.5% on everything else till you reached $1000 in purchases in the month. And to top it off, they have a policiy of never increasing the CL.

So right now I have a platinum with them that I just got, primarily because no one else would give me a US MasterCard and I need one. I hope they'll be better to deal with this time around. I'd like to graduate to a cashback MasterCard for use at Costco in Canada - all my other needs are covered nicely by my existing cards.

I'll never understand this line of thinking. They're the only issuer who will give you a US Mastercard yet you don't like them. 

It baffles the mind that Capital One gets so much hate when they give so many people credit who others won't touch for one reason or another. 

As for rewards, you will be able to PC to QS after some time. I would fetch the link but my phone has issues with copy and paste at the moment -- if you Google "Capital One product change link myFICO" it will come up. 

The growth factor always takes time with Capital One. I got a $300 "bucketed" Platinum card in 2014 and it hit $8250 last year when I got my last $2K CLI in March but it took quite a while to grow it there and it was my only card for most of that time period. It did eventually grow though. 

Message 12 of 26
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If I had to pick one card that I think would be with me through thick and thin, it would be my Quicksilver. It is a rock solid card that I can depend on. That alone makes it worth throwing a little spend that way on occasion.

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll never understand this line of thinking. They're the only issuer who will give you a US Mastercard yet you don't like them. 

It baffles the mind that Capital One gets so much hate when they give so many people credit who others won't touch for one reason or another.  

My dislike of them - which is far from intense - is simply because of my experience with them as a customer. I've been a BMO customer for 42 years - had a "Bank of Montreal MasterCharge" back in the day. Treat me well, I'm a good customer. If you don't, I'll jump ship at the first opportunity and say why.

4.1.12-lb-01

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My dislike of them - which is far from intense - is simply because of my experience with them as a customer. I've been a BMO customer for 42 years - had a "Bank of Montreal MasterCharge" back in the day. Treat me well, I'm a good customer. If you don't, I'll jump ship at the first opportunity and say why.

4.1.12-lb-01

I mean I get that but it seems like giving you a US Mastercard is treating you well to me. You said yourself that nobody else will so that already propels Capital One up in my mind. 

It's great that you have found issuers that you like so much. I can tell you that Capital One will probably be with me if we are both still around in 40 years so I get it. It just doesn't really seem like they are doing anything terribly awful. 

I guess I am just trying to understand why there is so much hate for Capital One on this site. I see the occasional customer service complaint which is something every company will be hit or miss on, their dislike of approving people with excessive credit seeking behaviors, and the low approvals of CLIs but then I see other issuers doing CLDs, rescinding approvals, shutting down cards, mishandling fraud disputes, and so many other things that you rarely hear about Capital One and it just makes me wonder what I am missing. 

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I mean I get that but it seems like giving you a US Mastercard is treating you well to me. You said yourself that nobody else will so that already propels Capital One up in my mind. 

It's great that you have found issuers that you like so much. I can tell you that Capital One will probably be with me if we are both still around in 40 years so I get it. It just doesn't really seem like they are doing anything terribly awful. 

I guess I am just trying to understand why there is so much hate for Capital One on this site. I see the occasional customer service complaint which is something every company will be hit or miss on, their dislike of approving people with excessive credit seeking behaviors, and the low approvals of CLIs but then I see other issuers doing CLDs, rescinding approvals, shutting down cards, mishandling fraud disputes, and so many other things that you rarely hear about Capital One and it just makes me wonder what I am missing. 

If I've been dealing with a company for 15 years or so, and have not felt well treated up to now, giving me a $300 credit limit card is going to be appreciated, but it's not going to turn me into a fan.

If the only grocery store I can get to has bad service and stale bread, I'm not going to be a big fan despite them being my only source of groceries. 

I don't owe them gratitude. I'm a customer they're profiting off.

Message 16 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

If I had to pick one card that I think would be with me through thick and thin, it would be my Quicksilver. It is a rock solid card that I can depend on. That alone makes it worth throwing a little spend that way on occasion.

Yeah but is it METAL?😜

Message 17 of 26
rbentley
Established Contributor

I am totally with Saren on this.  While my QS1 is my lowest CL it is largely bucketed by low use.  I dont come near to 35% of my available credit.  Why should they give me more?  I would like to get out of the AF (they have waived it for me this year).  I will probably end up canceling next year soley because of the AF, which is a pity since it is signifcantly my oldest card.  Cap 1 took over some other $300 secured card I had.  They unsecured it and raised my limit to $500 and then more through credit steps.  It has been slow to grow and likely has hit its ceiling, but I have never once had a real problem with them.  I was dissapointed their EO would not do a GW removal of a 30 day late with my former card, but I had no right to expect them to.  They gave me credit when no one else would and at a sub 10% APR.  Their products are solid and they do seem to award CL that are reasonable and used.

Message 18 of 26
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Everyone's profile is different.  YMMV.

I started with $3k Cap One Plat and now have $85k available on 3 Cap One cards just 5 years later.

I have earned thousands off my Cap One SUBs and rewards.

I have saved thousands with Cap One 0% promotions.

I have saved hundreds on my 2.49% 72 month Cap One car loan.

Heart ...I love Cap One and they love me...  Heart

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 19 of 26
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I am just trying to understand why there is so much hate for Capital One on this site. 

and it just makes me wonder what I am missing. 

Sometimes, I think, the issue lies in the saying, "It's not what you say but the way how you say it" kinda thing (me in an old folgie way).  Our credit reports are a personal thing and when discussing issues pertaining to our credit, things that reflect on our credit...well it's a fine line between taking a personal stance vs. an issuer stance ie. bucketed cards not bucketed ppl. 

So Capital One does have a lot of feedback/complaints about issues with CSR's and feeling like the CSR they have spoken with could gives a rats-tail about your needs or wants.  I think that's why.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.