Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Credit Card

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Google Credit Card

Came up in the garden thread and got me thinking. Should Google release one? Yeah, I know they have that 💩 store card, but I'm talking about an open loop one. They have the play store. Hardware in phones and Nest products. Then there's subscription with YouTube Red and Nest. Lots of things to charge to it. If they were to release one, what would you like to see from it? What would make you apply? Also feel free to post some photoshops of what the card should look like, though, I would be sorely disappointed if one of those pics didn't have googly eyes 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

Re: Google Credit Card

I personally have nothing that would make me apply for such a card as the only Google product I use is the search engine and YouTube so none of my money is going to them. Design-wise I feel like it'd be a blank slate like the Apple card but have a G like the Pixelbook where the Apple logo is; or maybe a colored G like the rainbow colors. 

Message 2 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yellow credit card with the all seeing eye of Ra!🌞☀️
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quite frankly I'm amazed that Apple beat them to the punch. Google having direct access to purchasing habits would be a massive gold mine for their core advertising business. 

I am weird in that I am invested in both Apple and Google ecosystems. I have a XS Max for my phone, an iPad Mini, and an Apple TV 4K but I also have a Sony Android TV, an nVidia Shield with Android TV, a Fire HD 10 tablet, and an HTC 10 as far as things I actually use so I don't have true loyalty to either of them. I would embrace a Google card if there were rewards good enough to justify giving them that much info about my finances. 

Message 4 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I don't know if it has the cult following to get people to apply for a card en masse...unless the card was so good as to be unprofitable for the issuer. Though with customer data they could grow revenues elsewhere.

I have a Samsung S9+. It works well for me, but I upgrade rarely.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Quite frankly I'm amazed that Apple beat them to the punch. Google having direct access to purchasing habits would be a massive gold mine for their core advertising business. 

I am weird in that I am invested in both Apple and Google ecosystems. I have a XS Max for my phone, an iPad Mini, and an Apple TV 4K but I also have a Sony Android TV, an nVidia Shield with Android TV, a Fire HD 10 tablet, and an HTC 10 as far as things I actually use so I don't have true loyalty to either of them. I would embrace a Google card if there were rewards good enough to justify giving them that much info about my finances. 

That's part of what the thread is for. What would make you jump. Google already lost the tablet market to apple. But what if they had offered Android devices on the play store besides their own? Now, what if they had a credit card with boosted rewards for buying those devices off the play store?

Message 6 of 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I don't know if it has the cult following to get people to apply for a card en masse...unless the card was so good as to be unprofitable for the issuer. Though with customer data they could grow revenues elsewhere.

I have a Samsung S9+. It works well for me, but I upgrade rarely.

Ok, what if it was an Android card? Maybe co-market or co-brand with different manufacturers that use Android.

Message 7 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I don't think an Android card could/would happen the same way as the Apple did. Android has so many variations out there, with so many skins, so many manufacturers...it would be hard to make a standard Android card product. Android is very customizable, which is both a pro and a con. Having an LG Android card, a Samsung Android card, etc would get messy very fast.

I wouldn't want a Google card personally. I'm not going to voluntarily give them so much data, unless the rewards were way far and above what you can get elsewhere.

Message 8 of 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I don't think an Android card could/would happen the same way as the Apple did. Android has so many variations out there, with so many skins, so many manufacturers...it would be hard to make a standard Android card product. Android is very customizable, which is both a pro and a con. Having an LG Android card, a Samsung Android card, etc would get messy very fast.

I wouldn't want a Google card personally. I'm not going to voluntarily give them so much data, unless the rewards were way far and above what you can get elsewhere.

It could be the same card, just with the manufacturers logo and/or design added. I definitely don't think 15 different versions of an Android card could work.

Message 9 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Presumably a smartphone maker's card would need to tie into an app. Doesn't Google Pay still exist and compete with Samsung Pay? I've only used the latter.

Samsung Pay is already semi-integrated with Chase Pay. Chase Pay is soon to be defunct, but there's no need to make it more complicated.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.