Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got 7 to 10 day message reallocating limits between 2 cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got 7 to 10 day message reallocating limits between 2 cards

I thought reallocating credit limits between Amex cards was easy move. I am going to close an Amex card next month so I thought I would reallocate all but 1000 of its limit to another card. And I got the 7 to 10 day message. The new limit would have been 45k.  Does this happen often?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Got 7 to 10 day message reallocating limits between 2 cards

Higher-AF cards have higher minimums, below which the CL cannot be reduced.

Amex also limits reallocations to one per 30 days per customer.

And (this may no longer be true for anyone, or may be YMMV and only sometimes apply) the age of the donor or recipient card can be a factor.

*And as SJ says, income verification is also a possible explanation.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought reallocating credit limits between Amex cards was easy move. I am going to close an Amex card next month so I thought I would reallocate all but 1000 of its limit to another card. And I got the 7 to 10 day message. The new limit would have been 45k.  Does this happen often?

In my experience, it is an easy move when they're going to approve it. But each time they didn't approve it instantly, my request was turned down. Wishing you better luck. Maybe they just want income verification because you would be in the 35k & above range.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 9
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

I had a similar problem with my Delta platinum adn Schwab Investor. Called them and they told me the Delta can't go below 1.4k. Fixed that and the transfer went throw.

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 4 of 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

In my experience when I had amex, it was instant when approved and always denial when I got 7-10 day nessage.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 9
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah 7-10 days means they denied it.  I've had that happen as well.

Usually for me it was because I didn't wait long enough between moves.

Also, the rules seem to be different for business cards.  I tried moving limits from one business card to another and they gave me some spiel about the age of accounts or something.  I tried again from a newer personal card and it worked no problem.

Message 6 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

They denied my attempts because im too average and poor. Lol, probably door #2Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 9
zerofire
Valued Contributor

(Mod cut - not here please).  We are talking about the mighty AmEx.

When it comes to 7-10 days for credit line transfers it is either a verification or a flat out denial. More usually a denial. If you need to feel free to call in and ask what is going on. This is one of those things that is rather easy to complete in most cases.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@zerofire wrote:

(Mod cut - not here please).  We are talking about the mighty AmEx.

When it comes to 7-10 days for credit line transfers it is either a verification or a flat out denial. More usually a denial. If you need to feel free to call in and ask what is going on. This is one of those things that is rather easy to complete in most cases.

@zerofire, please read your PM. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.