Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got A Penfed Gold Card

tag
FICOfanatic
Valued Member

Re: Got A Penfed Gold Card

How easy is it to get in with them?  I see all these people with them and I know not everyone is a member of the military or married to one.

I checked their requirements and I guess I would fall under family eligibility, because my grandfather served in the Navy.  I was going to apply but was concerned on how they can verify this because my grandfather is deceased...  I just don't want to take an inquiry and get denied because he cannot verify my identity.

I want the Platinum Visa because of the gas rebates... 
Message 21 of 36
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@FICOfanatic wrote:
How easy is it to get in with them? I see all these people with them and I know not everyone is a member of the military or married to one.
I checked their requirements and I guess I would fall under family eligibility, because my grandfather served in the Navy. I was going to apply but was concerned on how they can verify this because my grandfather is deceased... I just don't want to take an inquiry and get denied because he cannot verify my identity.
I want the Platinum Visa because of the gas rebates...

Go to the website. Anyone can become a member of MOAA.
Message 22 of 36
Scamp
Valued Contributor

smallfry wrote:

Go to the website. Anyone can become a member of MOAA.

I thought NMFA was the only one anyone could join...?  Is MOAA really open to non-military, too?

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 23 of 36
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I have two grandfathers that served, and apparently from their application page, grandfather is included in "immediate family."  I always took that term to mean your parents and siblings or your children.  But if they wanna gimme grandparents, I'll take it.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 36
FICOfanatic
Valued Member

Smallfry: this is what it said... so it leads me to believe you have been or still active military.

You do not have to be retired to join MOAA! All active duty, retired, National Guard, Reserve, former commissioned officers, and warrant officers of the uniformed services - Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Public Health Service, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - are eligible for membership.

MOAA counts among its members 6 out of 10 retired officers; 54,000 active duty officers; and more than 58,000 active or retired Guard and Reserve officers.

Auxiliary membership is available for surviving spouses of deceased officer

Thrasher: I felt the same way, but how can they verify that I am the grandson when he is deceased?

Message 25 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

NMFA membership is all that's required to join Penfed, and anyone can join NMFA.  Therefore, anyone can join Penfed. Smiley Happy

That's all there is to it.

Message 26 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
PenFed ALWAYS pulls EQ when you apply to join, and everyone has to open the $5 share (savings) account, because that's how credit unions work. But you don't have to have X balance, or open checking too, and so forth. You also don't have to apply for the CC right away, because you have that 60-day window where they work off the original report. And getting into to PenFed doesn't automatically mean that you'll get a card.

By the way, for everyone jonesing after the gas rebates and the BT deal, realize that you'll want to get two different PenFed cards. You definitely don't want to tie up the gas card with a BT!

It's a 90 day pull. You can apply for as many products you desire without additional pulls. Additionally, they are a conservative CU. If you have a recent BK, don't waste your time as you will not be approved. If you have newly open accounts don't apply for a credit card or loan. I am a member and I love this CU. i have a car loan, LOC, and CC. If you do appply for their credit cards, I would HIGHLY recommend the Platinum Cash Rewards card. Cash is deposited into your account on a monthly basis and NO CAP on purchases. 13.9% APR.

Message Edited by FaircreditguyFL on 06-13-2008 08:02 PM
Message 27 of 36
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

cheddar wrote:
NMFA membership is all that's required to join Penfed, and anyone can join NMFA.  Therefore, anyone can join Penfed. Smiley Happy

That's all there is to it.

But a lifetime membership to NMFA is $300

Can you get a membership for one year, then join penfed, then opt out of NMFA the next year and retain your penfed membership?  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 36
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Read it carefully. You do not have to retain membership to keep your standing with Penfed.

Message Edited by smallfry on 06-14-2008 09:33 AM
Message 29 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Geesh you would think I have been around here long enough to know this stuff, but here I go looking silly again ...

What is NMFA and MOAA and ABCD (oops that one wasn't listed)?  I am not familiar with all of the acronyms listed.
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.