cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got AMEX Gold, what Chase UR card should I add?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got AMEX Gold, what Chase UR card should I add?

I have an AMEX Gold and would like to add a Chase UR card. Am I foolish to consider this?  Should I stick to MR ecosystem?  I’m looking for something to compliment the Gold. Don’t really want the Platinum asthe perks aren’t terribly meaningful to me. I do feel the UR ecosystem might be a little better than MR. 

Or, should I just apply for BPP and shut up about Chase?  

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got AMEX Gold, what Chase UR card should I add?

Personally I think CSP/Ink Cash/Freedom/Amex BBP/Amex Plat and/or Gold will give you the best of both ecosystems and really there is little toe stepping between your MR and UR cards: Sapphire is only 2x so using the Gold card for restaurants is a no brainer and for Amex travel for 3x, while the Freedom never has restaurant as a category (Chase does this so it doesn't compete with Sapphire), it tends to have grocery only like once a year, so little to no crossover with the Gold card. Then the Ink Cash gets you 5x on tv/internet/phone/office supply stores (aka gift cards at office Depot including Amazon gift cards), and BBP gets you 2x MR for everything else. Only annual fees are for Gold card and CSP (waived for CSP in year 1 aka test run) and boom you get the lion's share of points from both ecosystems. If you value the Amex Gold's travel credit, might consider grabbing a Penfed Pathfinder as its $100 travel credit and $0 annual fee would effectively offset the CSP's fee (plus $5), and you'd get global entry.

Note: if you only have a single UR card, it has to be CSP/CSR/Ink Preferred as the no AF freedom and ink cards can only supplement the cards that actually earn UR, if you have a freedom alone it only earns cash back (unless you let it sit and get a Sapphire later). And getting a CSP or CSR alone would just put it at odds with the Gold card - the CSR even moreso since it's a bigger investment and gives you 3x over 2x (if you're gonna use Amex or Chase for restaurant/travel, might as well not even bother with CSR's 3x). But things come alive when you add Freedom and Ink Cash and get all of those 5x categories to supplant your Sapphire. Instead of thinking of these as individuals cards, think of it as a single Chase credit product/offering whose core is a CSP. The Ink and Freedom cards have no fee so basically theyre just ways to add quite a few 5x categories to your Sapphire and thus the optimal way to amass UR points. Forunately, especially with a CSP, such a setup can thrive in conjunction with Amex Gold/BBP (of course, BBP is why Freedom Unlimited and Ink Unlimited would be redundant).
Message 2 of 22
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an AMEX Gold and would like to add a Chase UR card. Am I foolish to consider this?  Should I stick to MR ecosystem?  I’m looking for something to compliment the Gold. Don’t really want the Platinum asthe perks aren’t terribly meaningful to me. I do feel the UR ecosystem might be a little better than MR. 

Or, should I just apply for BPP and shut up about Chase?  

It's not that simple. You need to provide more specifics about what you're looking to get out of your card program beyond what you think you're supposed to have. You are off to a good start with recognizing that some cards (Platinum in this case) don't make sense for your individual profile.

Questions that are going to get asked:

- Do you travel? If yes, do you have a prefered airline? Hotel?

- Do you have status already with an airline? Hotel?

- Are you comfortable booking award travel with miles, or are you just looking for a way to convert points into cash toward bookings?

- What does your spend look like? Which categories do you tend to spend the most in?

Slightly OT here, but to you mods out there, I feel like there should be a "what info is needed to ask about X vs Y card program" sticky thread, similar to what they do over in the Mortgage section. I see a lot of threads where someone posts "should I do MR or UR?" or "which hotel card should I get?" or "do I need to get X/Y/Z cards?" without much background information, so we all end up spending 10 posts extracting this information when we could just get it all right off the bat.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great points and sorry I was so vague.  You're right in that everybody's situation and goals are different so answers to the same question will vary from person to person.  Anyway, here I go.  Hopefully my answers to these questions will help you and others with advice and suggestions for me.  Thanks...

- Do you travel?

Yes.  About 4-5 times a year, all for pleasure, and almost always domestically.  A couple times to visit family so hotels are not required.  

If yes, do you have a prefered airline?

I'd love to fly on Jet Blue more often but either it is usually too expensive or doesn't fly into my desired destination.  It ends up being mostly American, United and some Delta.

Hotel?

No preferred brand although I am more than fine with being loyal to a brand because I they are a partner of my rewards program and/or I can get better perks there because of my reward program.  Not interested in the super budget hotels.  Places like Hyatt Place or Marriott Courtyard would be my low end and love to stay at Four Seasons, Ritz, Mandarin, St. Regis if I can make it happen.  FYI I'd love to use points towards a cruise if that's possible although I don't feel it is from what I've read about the programs.

Member of most airline FF programs and Hotel loyalty programs but don't have status on any of them.  Might be nice though Smiley Happy

- Are you comfortable booking award travel with miles, or are you just looking for a way to convert points into cash toward bookings?

I am comfortable doing both although I don't want a crazy amount of hoops to jump through to book stuff unless the savings is tremendoous.  I'm more interested in convenience than saving a few bucks.  Needs to be a lot of bucks to get me to put in significant effort and work to book stuff.

- What does your spend look like? Which categories do you tend to spend the most in?

I spend about $1,200 a month on restaurants and groceries, hence the Gold card which is amazing for me.  Another $450/month in cell and cable.  $400-$500/month on entertainment (movies, concerts, sports).  Rent and auto lease eat up a big chunk and then lots of miscellaneous stuff like clothing, pet, insurance, and many other categories that aren't a huge part of my spend.

Message 4 of 22
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great points and sorry I was so vague.  You're right in that everybody's situation and goals are different so answers to the same question will vary from person to person.  Anyway, here I go.  Hopefully my answers to these questions will help you and others with advice and suggestions for me.  Thanks...

- Do you travel?

Yes.  About 4-5 times a year, all for pleasure, and almost always domestically.  A couple times to visit family so hotels are not required.  

If yes, do you have a prefered airline?

I'd love to fly on Jet Blue more often but either it is usually too expensive or doesn't fly into my desired destination.  It ends up being mostly American, United and some Delta.

Hotel?

No preferred brand although I am more than fine with being loyal to a brand because I they are a partner of my rewards program and/or I can get better perks there because of my reward program.  Not interested in the super budget hotels.  Places like Hyatt Place or Marriott Courtyard would be my low end and love to stay at Four Seasons, Ritz, Mandarin, St. Regis if I can make it happen.  FYI I'd love to use points towards a cruise if that's possible although I don't feel it is from what I've read about the programs.

Member of most airline FF programs and Hotel loyalty programs but don't have status on any of them.  Might be nice though Smiley Happy

I am comfortable doing both although I don't want a crazy amount of hoops to jump through to book stuff unless the savings is tremendoous.  I'm more interested in convenience than saving a few bucks.  Needs to be a lot of bucks to get me to put in significant effort and work to book stuff.

I spend about $1,200 a month on restaurants and groceries, hence the Gold card which is amazing for me.  Another $450/month in cell and cable.  $400-$500/month on entertainment (movies, concerts, sports).  Rent and auto lease eat up a big chunk and then lots of miscellaneous stuff like clothing, pet, insurance, and many other categories that aren't a huge part of my spend.

If you focus around JetBlue, it looks like you might fall into the category where both UR and MR are equally easy to move into TrueBlue. Mileage bookings are typically quite easy - the trick is finding the flights with the better redemption values. In your case, I would say this is less of an issue as JetBlue is a domestic* airline which has simpler and generally more open award space at saver levels. Because of this equality, in your case I would say UR and MR are of equal value.

With your spend profile, I'm not seeing a lot of reason in getting into UR just yet. Around half of your spend is optimized on the Gold card (dining/groceries). The big multipliers on UR are travel/dining, of which you have a solid dining option already and you don't spend much on travel. You can put the rest of your spend on Gold as well for 1 MR/dollar, or:

1. You can get the CSP and a FU (and optionally also a Freedom) to earn 1.5 UR/dollar. I think that's a diminishing return for you, though - $95 AF plus two new cards (CSP + FU) to effectively earn an extra 5,000 - 10,000 points over putting that spend on a MR card you're already paying for. You'd break even or come out slightly ahead, but that's up to you if you think that extra value is worth the extra work over just running it all through the Gold. You'd run all non-dining/grocery through the FU, and would pay for the CSP for nothing else than the ability to transfer UR to JetBlue. Not efficient, but not the worst you can do, either.

2. Do the above and ditch the Gold. Your grocery and dining point earning will fall, but you'll shift from a $250 AF to a $95 AF to make up for it. You'd pull in around 30,000 fewer points per year for that $155 savings. This is a clear loser for your profile.

Personally, I don't see a reason to jump in to UR right now. Unless you're looking to churn the CSP for the sign-up bonus (and risk invoking the future ire of Chase), there's just not a lot of upside to going that way right now. Re-assess if your spending or travel profile changes, of course.

* - yes, yes, they fly to the Caribbean and Mexico. These are still basically domestic flights on narrowbody jets that happen to require passports. Transoceanic flights open up a different can of worms because they involve multiple classes of service, vastly different redemption costs based on continent/region, and are considerably more expensive (both in dollars and points), which are the reasons they get carved off into a different category as "international", not because they require passports.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Incredibly thoughtful response.  Thanks!  I'll ditch the idea of UR points right now and focus on MR.  Will get the BBP to up my take on points for Gold non-bonus categories.  2x on the "everything else" spend will be good.  I get a 1099 for a self employment side gig so that should suffice to get the  BBP.  

Sticking with MR points and will see where it takes me over the next year or so.  If I'm happy then awesome.  If I feel I could be doing better or travel becomes more frequent for me then I will look at UR products.  Wish there were something else on the MR side of things I could sign up for that would get me worthwhile signup bonuses.  Ideas?  BBP is zero.  Thanks again!  

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still think Gold/BBP/CSP/Freedom/Ink Cash will give you the lion's share of points in both ecosystems without having conflicts in terms of cards having the same categories. Especially since you're talking about flying JetBlue and the CSP has no fee in year 1 (between CSP, freedom, and ink cash the SUBs total at least 115k), and you're still under 5/24, I think it's still worth pursuing.

I honestly don't see a good reason not to invest in both. If anyone disagrees, please persuade me, because it hasn't happened yet.
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely something to think about.  Those UR points are easier to use than MR points I think.  Leaning to sticking with one ecosystem for now and seeing how it goes but very possible I follow your suggestion too.  Can't everybody just agree and make this easier for me! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 22
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I don’t have the Amex gold , but I will substitutite the EDP which i do have in your example. EDP is usually used more for spending , and my chase cards are basically used for 5x categories and sub since there are so many cards and they don’t have life time language like Amex cards have. It’s not that hard to get 200k + ur by just signing up for cards and meeting min spend for the bonuses. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 22
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I still think Gold/BBP/CSP/Freedom/Ink Cash will give you the lion's share of points in both ecosystems without having conflicts in terms of cards having the same categories. Especially since you're talking about flying JetBlue and the CSP has no fee in year 1 (between CSP, freedom, and ink cash the SUBs total at least 115k), and you're still under 5/24, I think it's still worth pursuing.

I honestly don't see a good reason not to invest in both. If anyone disagrees, please persuade me, because it hasn't happened yet.

The argument I would make against your plan is you've pinned most of the reason for doing so on first-year/one-time items (no AF, SUBs). If those are the only/major reasons for someone to go with one program, then that program is doomed to failure after the first year for that person. If there were no SUBs and the standard AF (if the card has one) in the first year, would you still make this recommendation?

If someone is ok with churning cards, the first-year benefits take on more weight since that person will be doing nothing but taking advantage of first-year benefits. Most outside of that niche circle are more interested in long-term value-add from a program rather than those first-year perks.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.