Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Chase Trifecta Ahead of Schedule

tag
vietbobcat

Got Chase Trifecta Ahead of Schedule

Hey guys,

This is my first post and I would just like to share my credit experience with everyone; sorry if it is a little long. My credit started out 591/602/591, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion respectively. After a couple of disputes I was able to get my credit score to 634/631/702. Up until this point I was denied on every credit appication I put in. Then one day I got an offer for the Discover More card. Called and got instantly approved for $8,000 CL, up until now all I had was a Capital One Platinum card with a $300, so you can imagine my supprise. On a side note I will never own a Capital One credit card again, once my newly acquired credit card gain some age I will cancel the Capital One card (had this since high school, asked for CLI many times with no success).

Well back to the story at hand, After I got approved for the Discover Card my credit score increased by 30 points. I used it for 2 months, did not keep a balance on it, kept my utilization below 5 percent. One day I just decided to apply for the Chase Sapphire card (not preferred) because I read that it was considered an entry level perks card, I wanted a card that can gain airline miles. Got an instant approval for $5,000 CL, I then decided to get a Chase Freedom card to form the trifecta, without realizing that I needed the Sapphire Preferred card. The Freedom card said it would take 5-10 days to receive a decision on the mail (typical denial). I then got brave and called the customer service for the Sapphire card and talked to the CR to change the Sapphire to the Preferred. The CR told me to apply for the Preferred as a new application and I can cancel the Sapphire later. I summited a new application and was denied because the two cards are so similar and Chase frowns upon getting cards with similar benefits. Call the Chase reconsideration line and got the Sapphire changed to Preferred with no issue (I should have done this first instead of getting another credit inquiry).

Then in order to complete the trifecta I called the Chase Freedom customer service line to try to get a decision on the Freedom card. CR said too many inquires on my CR (blah, blah, blah, typical denial jargon). I then called the reconsideration line and talked to the CR (this one is nicer). We talked for a bit and I explained my situation of how I wasn't credit aware whenever I was in school and now I am more credit aware and trying to correct my previous mistakes. She said I was approved for $1,500, which was fine by me, but she recommended $3,000 (you can imagine my grin). All of that with a Equifax FICO score of 660 and 680 for TransUnion. I hope this gives yall some confidence. Don't get discouraged, the worst they can do is deny you. Always call for a reconsideration. My next step is for increase my FICO score to 760 to get a house. That will be my goal for the next 2 years, I want to wait to let all of these inquiries to drop off. Good Luck.

Cards:

Capital One Platinum - $300

Discover More - $8,000

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000

Chase Freedom - $3,000

FICO

Equifax - 660 (3/05/13)

TransUnion - 680 (3/05/13)

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Simply827
Established Contributor

Re: Got Chase Trifecta Ahead of Schedule

Do you have a Chase checking account? That is the true "trifecta" as it allows you to maximize rewards. I would bug them about the sign up bonus for the CSP. Technically it was a PC, but you already apped for it and took a HP and got denied.

Also, you can contact the Cap 1 EO about a CLI. Lots of people have had success with them so far.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 2 of 11
vietbobcat

Yes I do have a Chase checking account, been having it for 8 years now. Thanks for the advice, once the cards arrive I will call them to talk about the promotion. Regarding to the Capital One card, I have given up on them. It is the only card in my wallet that has a AF without any rewards. Just waiting for the day to cancel it.

Message 3 of 11
Simply827
Established Contributor

Do NOT cancel your Cap1 without first contacting the EO. You have like a 95% shot of getting what you want. I just bumped the thread on how to do that back to the top.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 4 of 11
Epcot
Valued Contributor

That's great, Congrats! Time spent in the garden will serve you well.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 5 of 11
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@Simply827 wrote:

Do NOT cancel your Cap1 without first contacting the EO. You have like a 95% shot of getting what you want. I just bumped the thread on how to do that back to the top.

+1

I will jump right in and challeng you to heed this advice. 

1.  Executive office is night and day different from their frontline CSRs. (I got a 300% increase just last  week and my credit is not as good as your's.......yet)

2.  Its only a SP so if they say no (which would absolutely amaze me in this situation) its no harm no foul for you.

3.  They have been known to waive off AFs btw

4.  Keeping it open will help your AAoA.

Congrats on those approvals. Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 6 of 11
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

I agree with Cap one executive office. They waived both my AF permanently, and gave me a $1200 CLI and turned it to a rewards card. your scores are better than mine as well. It was all done with an email to the executive office. They will call you within a day or two most likely. explain the siutation. tell them you love cap one but feel you deserve to be treated better etc. Google "capital one CEO email" to find out who to email your nice letter to. Enjoy your success in a week!

9/2013: Fico EQ 676, EXP 686, Fico TU 686.
NFCU Flagship Sig. $14k..NFCU CashRwdsSig $14k..NFCU LOC $12.5k..USAA Amex 4k..AMEX Green NPSL..Discover IT $1.5k...BofA Cash Rewards123 $2.5k...Southwest Premier $2k..Chase Freedom $1.5k..CareCredit $3.5k..Cap1-$1.5k..HSBC $300...Lowes $1.5k...WalMart $1.5k...JCP $1k..Chevron $1.1k..Kays/Jerrod - $5k split. around 8% Util. Want to get in the 700's in 2013! Have three old paid charge offs. 15-20inq.. LAST APP 8/29/13
Message 7 of 11
2011beginnings
Frequent Contributor

Cool success story.

I apped for the regular sapphire and got it but wanted the preferred (I thought that was the one I had apped for originally) and got approved for it too. So, actually, you can have both cards - regular sapphire and sapphire preferred. Both of mine have $5000 credit access lines.
PenFed AMEX: $5500 | AMEX BCE: $8300 | AMEX E: $5000 | BofA BBR: $5000 | Discover It: $6500 | CSP: $11500 | CF: $5500 | Citi DIVIDEND: $5700 | CITI TYP: $4600 | BofA CR: $7500 | CAP ONE Q: $3000 |

TU: 722 / EX: 763 / EQ: 735
Message 8 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

vietbobcat great experience and great cards.....BTW welcome to the forum

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 11
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

So are you going to get the 40,000 UR points (current signup offer) since you essentially had your Sapphire upgraded, instead of an independently approved application?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.