Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got My First Card!

tag
HaroldandKumar

Got My First Card!

Hello All!

I turned 18 a few days ago and immediately applied for my first credit card (Chase Freedom) at my local Chase branch. I was instantly approved with a $1900 cl. The banker was extremely surprised that I was approved with no credit history at all. I would like to get in the door with an amex charge card. What is the next step towards that? I understand that I won't have any chance at a green card now, but what can I do to improve my chances in the future? 

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Got My First Card!

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your first card 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum. To improve your chances, pay your bills on time, limit your inq's and when you are ready to app, make sure your util is low -less than 10% is optimal.
Message 3 of 19
blackhawk2
Valued Member

Congrats on getting your first card! Use it wisely and credit will always work to your advantage. I would use the card for at least 6 months while keeping utilization low and PIF before applying for an Amex.
Amex BCE 18k I Amex SPG 6k I CSP 8k I Chase Marriott 7k I Discover It 3.5k I Chase Freedom 2.1k

EX: 735 | EQ: 767 | TU: 770

Credit cards are great when you don't need them.
Message 4 of 19
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first card.

Message 5 of 19
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

Congrats on your first card! Just be responsible with it now and I'm sure you'll have an AMEX card in no time.

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 6 of 19
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Build some history you'll be there in no time.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 19
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@HaroldandKumar wrote:

Hello All!

I turned 18 a few days ago and immediately applied for my first credit card (Chase Freedom) at my local Chase branch. I was instantly approved with a $1900 cl. The banker was extremely surprised that I was approved with no credit history at all. I would like to get in the door with an amex charge card. What is the next step towards that? I understand that I won't have any chance at a green card now, but what can I do to improve my chances in the future? 

Thanks in advance

Nice going (and nice nym) HaroldandKumar. That's a surprising first card and it's one to cherish and treat well. Next steps are to use it for six months to a year, always pay more than the minimum payment, if you use more than 30% of your credit line, be sure to pay it down before the statement cuts (because the balance that's on the card on the statement date is what gets reported to the credit bureaus). Like others will tell you, 9% or less is better than 30%, but 30% is acceptable.

When you're ready to app for your Amex, make sure the last reported balance on your Freedom is under 10% and that you have a perfect ontime payment record.

Good work!

Message 8 of 19
HaroldandKumar

Thanks for all the replies! I'm thrilled to have the Freedom card and look forward to the 5% cash back at gas stations and starbucks (I'm there every day) next quarter. Since I'm not putting any huge charges on the card, I am just going to pay my balance in full every month. You guys really think that I will have a shot at Amex Green within a year? It seems like a bit of a stretch.

Message 9 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@HaroldandKumar wrote:

Thanks for all the replies! I'm thrilled to have the Freedom card and look forward to the 5% cash back at gas stations and starbucks (I'm there every day) next quarter. Since I'm not putting any huge charges on the card, I am just going to pay my balance in full every month. You guys really think that I will have a shot at Amex Green within a year? It seems like a bit of a stretch.

You appear to believe (and this is a common belief, great marketing!) that Amex is hard to get.   The charge cards in particular are not, easier than their credit cards.  Do you know a credit score?   It's certainly not unlikely that if you qualified for the Freedom as your first card you can get the Amex now.  To be safe though, it's probably worth having some history with the Freedom and keeping the reported utilization low when you do apply.  

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.