Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a PNC Points Visa Signature upgrade

tag
othersteve

Got a PNC Points Visa Signature upgrade

Hey all,

First post, and just a pretty quick general question.  I haven't seen any info at all about the PNC Points Visa Signature card, but I actually think it's pretty good (as far as I can tell) as far as all-round rewards are concerned.  We have had a PNC Points card already for several years (current CL is $15K) and over the course of the past 12 months we've spent ~50K.  We were auto-upgraded to Visa Signature this month (card # remains the same) but I wasn't even aware a Signature version of this card existed.  I have no idea what the requirements are or if they're difficult to obtain.  FWIW credit scores are close to 800 and utilization is under 30%.  I don't think income matters, does it?

The card has a $0 AF and does report it seems, in spite of the NPSL it champions.

Thanks to having a Performance Select Checking Account with PNC, we get 7 points/$ spent (after a 75% monthly bonus is issued), and since you can get $100 gift cards at around 40,000 points, that's roughly a 1.75% cash back rate.  That's pretty good, right?  That plus the following benefits:

https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Blank.do?siteArea=/pnccorp/pnc/home/personal/credit+cards/credit+ca...

And the warranty extension stuff applies as well (I checked).

Any reason I should ever consider switching to another card, or does this seem pretty reasonable for our usage patterns?  Anyone else have this card?

Thanks!

Edited: Corrected cashback rate calculations

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Got a PNC Points Visa Signature upgrade

@othersteve wrote:

Hey all,

First post, and just a pretty quick general question.  I haven't seen any info at all about the PNC Points Visa Signature card, but I actually think it's pretty good (as far as I can tell) as far as all-round rewards are concerned.  We have had a PNC Points card already for several years (current CL is $15K) and over the course of the past 12 months we've spent ~50K.  We were auto-upgraded to Visa Signature this month (card # remains the same) but I wasn't even aware a Signature version of this card existed.  I have no idea what the requirements are or if they're difficult to obtain.  FWIW credit scores are close to 800 and utilization is under 30%.  I don't think income matters, does it?

The card has a $0 AF and does report it seems, in spite of the NPSL it champions.

Thanks to having a Performance Select Checking Account with PNC, we get 7 points/$ spent (after a 75% monthly bonus is issued), and since you can get $100 gift cards at around 42,000 points, that's roughly a 1.66% cash back rate.  That's pretty good, right?  That plus the following benefits:

https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Blank.do?siteArea=/pnccorp/pnc/home/personal/credit+cards/credit+ca...

And the warranty extension stuff applies as well (I checked).

Any reason I should ever consider switching to another card, or does this seem pretty reasonable for our usage patterns?  Anyone else have this card?

Thanks!

Depends on the lender - some more so than others, but I think all of them will take income into consideration to some extent.

1.66% redemption is pretty good, but for things like gas and groceries you're losing out big time (Amex BCP, Sallie Mae for example).  Fidelity Amex gives a flat out 2% and based strictly on your score, you would easily be able to pick those up.

Message 2 of 14
othersteve

Thanks much for the reply B335is!

That Fidelity AMEX looks pretty good actually; I might take a look at that.  Can it be upgraded to the higher-tier AMEX perks designations I guess (sorry for the noob question ;-)).

However the other VISAs I looked at, but all of them have some sort of offsetting qualifier, such as an annual fee that pretty much offsets the benefits, or a limit on the higher-percentage redemptions.  That alone has left me to reconsider bothering switching to another issuer.  If 1.66% average is pretty good I might just stick with that (or start working on the Fidelity AMEX you recommended).

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Message 3 of 14
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

No prob.  The Fidelity Amex is backed by FIA cards services - Bank of America, so it's not issued by American Express, just uses their network.  

Message 4 of 14
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I like them!  I applied a few months ago for a credit card with them for only one reason; overdraft protection.  I don't really need overdraft since I keep a fair amount of money in my account at all time.  I just wanted it as a 'just in case' scenario.  I was instantly upgraded to the Signature version during the approval.  The approval was instant and so was the upgrade. 

With the relationship banking you should be getting 1.75% in rewards on the card.  Yes, there are better in some categories, but it sure beats out my Quicksilver rewards. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 14
othersteve

You know, I just double-checked, and you're right, it is 1.75%.  I guess that's probably one of the best flat rewards percentages out there from what I've read, and there is no annual fee to boot for a Signature!  Maybe I should just hang onto this card after all under the circumstances then.

I wonder if Purchase Price Protection is included.  I don't see it listed, but apparently some Signature cards feature it.  Maybe I'll call and check.

If you don't mind, out of curiosity, what are your scores and income?  We're doing around $120K household/yr. currently.  Perhaps this will help others in the future looking to be approved.

Message 6 of 14
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

At the time my score was about 690 and income $65K and many new accounts.  I had an AAoA of 2.3 years at the time.  I did have a fair amount on deposit with them though, which is why I think I made it in the door.  I think they put some emphasis on the relationship you have with them.  I was more than happy with the upgrade, even if I don't think I can use all those benefits!  It just felt nice!  In fact it felt even better than being approved for an Amex.  (Don't get me wrong, that felt good too, but just not as much.)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I suggest asking if they can change it to the CashBuilder card, since the Points is a horrid card. I was instantly approved for the CashBuilder last January for 5200 and told it would be a Signature. I used it up to an above the limit every month last year and didn't receive an increase so asked in May this year and a hard on Experian got me 7500. Another request in June? Got them to pull TransUnion for 10,000, I don't use it much anymore, but it is a good rate at 1.75 if one doesn't have a 2% card. Purchase price protection is included with the Signature version as far as I know.

Scores were around 730-750 at all times they accessed the reports. Credit history was eighteen months when I was instantly approved and is still short now. I understated income at 35000 when I first applied but told them around 125000 or so later on. I will probably try again in a few months just to see what I can get.
Message 8 of 14
othersteve

Well, again, the Points apparently features the same reward level if you choose the right rewards.  For instance, I buy > $10,000 worth of stuff from Amazon annually, so getting Amazon gift cards as a reward for 40,000 points (the equivalent of 1.75% cash back after the 75% monthly bonus) is just fine by me.

So it's possible to just switch between different cards at the same issuer without any negative repercussions?  Do they do another credit check or no need?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Message 9 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@othersteve wrote:

Well, again, the Points apparently features the same reward level if you choose the right rewards.  For instance, I buy > $10,000 worth of stuff from Amazon annually, so getting Amazon gift cards as a reward for 40,000 points (the equivalent of 1.75% cash back after the 75% monthly bonus) is just fine by me.

So it's possible to just switch between different cards at the same issuer without any negative repercussions?  Do they do another credit check or no need?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Well if it works for you that's great. I just personally don't like redeeming points that aren't a 1:1 ratio.

Every issuer is different, but most will allow you to switch between products fairly easily. It usually doesn't require another credit check, they just switch it in their system. I am unaware if PNC does this, but Chase, Bank of America, Citi(sometimes), US Bank, and others do.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.