Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got an email from Citi asking me to appy for the card

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Got an email from Citi asking me to appy for the card

I got an email from citi today asking me to apply for the card. It says apply before 11/30. Is it a pre-approval or just an email solicitation? Did any of you get the email from Citi to apply for their card. I think it is a Citi AA Amex Card.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got an email from Citi asking me to appy for the card

I would be afraid to click on a link from any unsolicated e-mail in case it was an attempt to steal my identitity.  Rather than applying through the link or phone number provided in the e-mail, I would call Citi and verify the offer using an 800 # that I knew was legit.

Message 2 of 13
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

+1

Sounds very phishy to me...

Message 3 of 13
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

+2
Message 4 of 13
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

+3
Message 5 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, concorduser, it might be a legit pre-approval from Citi. They seem to be stirring back to life, possibly because they've lost so many customers from their recent 29.99% rate jack. But you never know.

I'm with the others --I sure wouldn't click on a link on the e-mail. But I'd call Citi to find out if it's legit. I don't know where you are in the process of letting your personal credit profile heal and recover, but I would issue my usual advice of not bothering to app for a CC unless it somehow fills a real and defensible need in your personal financial picture. Getting another card just to have another card makes no sense in my view.

* thinks wistfully about a card that would give 10% back on Chick-Fil-A *
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 13
DI
Super Contributor

+4 hehe
Message 7 of 13
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Hauling, I am not planning on apping for it. I have way too many cards than what I need. In the next 2 months I am new account free and I dont want to add any more new accounts at this time. Few days ago I called Citi and asked them if I could a product change from my citi dividends card to citi preferred amex card. CSR said my apr would go up by 3%. I said for get it, even though I dont revolve the balance, I did not want to get into the card with higher apr.  May be that is the reason Citi sent me this offer trying to entice me with an AA Amex Card. I want to see how much my scores goes up once all my accounts go one year old. I am waiting for the Jan 1, 2010 to check my scores.

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
lol, concorduser, it might be a legit pre-approval from Citi. They seem to be stirring back to life, possibly because they've lost so many customers from their recent 29.99% rate jack. But you never know.

Message 8 of 13
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

When I received such an email it was from Macy's (a Citi related product) inviting me to accept a Macy's Visa. I did so by clicking a button or link in the email and indicating I was in. A few weeks later I received a replacement for my Macy's store card with a Visa logo. There was no hard INQ.  :smileyhappy:

P.S. A few months later I found the mailed offer they sent me - I had tossed it in a pile with a bunch of other junk mail! CWCID

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received an email back in July for Diamond Preferred with bonus TY points after initial purchase, applied and was declined.

Called and asked why since it was a pre-approval email.

CSR said they send out solicitation emails regularly and even though it was a pre-approval, they base their final decision on the credit report.

She also said, if I do not wish to receive anymore pre-approval emails, just opt out.  

Smiley Mad 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.