Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got approved for Barclays!

tag
DVH1980
Contributor

Got approved for Barclays!

With the help of this site I have began rebuilding my credit last year. Started in the high 400/low 500s and as of todays TU score im at 663! I still have 2 accounts that need to be updated so that should help and am also waitng for a new auto loan and 3 more credit cards to report.

Anywyas, after researching on here about Barclays, thanks to your experiences and feedback I determined that my TU report should be good enough. Got approved for 1190.00. I really wanted this card to help my utilization on my other cards which have relatively low limits. My question is, should I do a recon and see if I can get my CLI increased or just be happy and let my CL grow over time. Im going into garden mode after this one. Thoughts?

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
sgs10
Regular Contributor

Re: Got approved for Barclays!

There is no harm in asking as u have alreadytaken a hard hit on ur TU report. Just try your luck Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Message 3 of 13
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Usually  they will only soft  your reports since you were just approved for the card if within 30 days.  Outside 30 days, its almost a guaranteed hard pull.  Also, wait 6 months or more before apping for anything else if Barclays was your last approval to avoid AA or closure from them. Just an FYI

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 4 of 13
score_building
Senior Contributor

Gratz! some of their cards grow nicely others seem to remain somewhat low CL

results may depend on a combo of factors incl strength of profile and which card you have.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 13
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

Hey congrats to you! That's awesome. From what I've been reading on these forums, they're great to have an account with, just kind of wishy washy when it comes to new credit after them. I wonder just how they figure a customer should only have a card with them and no one else thereafter. Weird.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 13
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Sweets8E wrote:

Hey congrats to you! That's awesome. From what I've been reading on these forums, they're great to have an account with, just kind of wishy washy when it comes to new credit after them. I wonder just how they figure a customer should only have a card with them and no one else thereafter. Weird.

The metrics relied on by lenders generally show a vastly increased risk of default for cardholders with increasing inq and new accts in a short time period; so to that extent it is somewhat more understandable when we see them get squeamish in this way.  Still, it does seem, in many cases, Barclays may take the new acct data point as an instant deal breaker somewhat moreso than other lenders since they have been known to move to act for closure with such alacrity and dispatch if a card holder even thinks about 'cheating' on them w/i the 1st six months of being approved for a product.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 13
DVH1980
Contributor

Question.....before getting the barclays card I had already been granted 2 additional credit cards and an auto loan, none of which have appeared on my credit reports. Will barclays view this negatively once they report even though I had applied for these before their card or do they only care about inquiries after their credit has been issued?
*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 8 of 13
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

congrats on the approval! :-) I would say if you don't NEED a higher cl than don't recon. Everyone on here seems so concerned with getting huge limits and they say that they plan on just PIF every month or carrying a small balance. If thats the case why do they need a huge CL or complain because they only got 3,500 dollars instead of the 10k they wished for? If it were me i would be happy with what I got unless I had a serious need for more credit.

Message 9 of 13
scrubs
Regular Contributor

if the credit products is not reported on you cr, barclay's may see that as new credit. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.