Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got approved for the Dillard's AMEX!!!

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Got approved for the Dillard's AMEX!!!

I apped yesterday right after getting approved for JCP and got the dreaded 7-10 day message. I assumed that meant that I was probably not approved. This morning I got a phone call from the CCC. After answering a few security questions, I was approved for the Dillard's Amex with a CL of 700!!!

So, I was approved for both store cards. That's it for now... I'm done for the year at the very least. So happy!!! Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Got approved for the Dillard's AMEX!!!

Aren't you supposed to be gardening?!

Message 2 of 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@MrShush wrote:

Aren't you supposed to be gardening?!

Yes, and I posted threads about this. The first one was a week ago when I started considering these apps, and the other was included in this month's credit gardening thread.

To sum up... These are two cards that I would like to have in my portfolio for the long term. There are also two prime bank cards that I eventually want to be able to have. My scores and reports are probably not quite good enough for the bank cards; in a year or two when the last of my baddies drop off, I stand a decent chance of approval. But, I believed (correctly, it turns out) that I stood a good chance of approval for the store cards now. By apping now, I get to add them to my portfolio and allow them to age before apping for the desired bank cards. These are "seeds" that I'm planting in my garden in preparation for goals that I am seeking to accomplish down the line.

I believe that I made the right decision. These were NOT impulse apps. I spent time considering whether or not it was worth doing and weighing the pros and cons of the timing. The Dillard's Amex will easily replace my FP card; that is WELL worth the inquiry!!!

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 7
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Well congrats on the approvals then!

Message 4 of 7
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Yes, Tinuviel was supposed to have been gardening but made one heck of a statement over this past week which included careful planning and execution from A-to-Z along with Case Scenarios to cover the need for store discounts as well as a part of growing -- SHOOT!  Even "I" couldn't say anything negative about it!!!

Congratulations and well-planned!!!

Yes everybody, this is yours truly, JAYRIZZO, giving a member kudos for acquiring credit  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@JayRizzo wrote:

Yes, Tinuviel was supposed to have been gardening but made one heck of a statement over this past week which included careful planning and execution from A-to-Z along with Case Scenarios to cover the need for store discounts as well as a part of growing -- SHOOT!  Even "I" couldn't say anything negative about it!!!

Congratulations and well-planned!!!

Yes everybody, this is yours truly, JAYRIZZO, giving a member kudos for acquiring credit  Smiley Wink

Wow, this is high praise coming from you, JayRizzo! LOL! Thanks!

Seriously, though... I was a little concerned that I may have laid out my case in so much detail that I risked boring readers. But then again, a poster always has the choice as to whether to read my posts or ignore them. The process of composing the posts about this was very helpful for me though, as I was able to turn the issue over in my head and examine it from a variety of angles. I have come to the following conclusions:

Never app just for the sake of apping. Yes, you need TLs to build or rebuild credit. But, they should always help to serve a purpose. I wish that I had NOT apped for that second FP card last year, as it didn't really do anything to provide me with any kind of long term benefit. Lesson learned. Likewise, I've received offers from Speigel. I don't shop with them, so the offers went in the trash.

The corellary is that it's ok to apply for credit if it makes sense, if it serves a purpose. I started to trash the JCP offer as a knee-jerk reaction, but thought better of it. Both this and the Dillard's cards are ones that I would actually use and would provide me with benefits for the long term. That's why I took the time to consider them.

But, in addition to serving a purpose, one must also examine how an app fits in with one's overall credit goals. I've spent the last few months determining what my goals are; what type of credit portfolio do I want to have? I want to move on from subprime to prime cards, and I identified the specific cards that I would like to have. As I have some baddies on my report, the timing on this is important. They will age off over the course of the next year and a half, so I decided that apping for those cards at this particular time was not a good idea. But, apping for the store cards now was feasible and would allow time for the new credit ding to pass before attempting the bank cards.

Bottom line, this is what I've learned... Set goals. Form a plan as to how to achieve those goals. Be prepared to review that plan periodically and adjust it if it makes sense to do so.  Sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

Message 6 of 7
Mzvanessa
Contributor

Yes it does Tinuviel, Congratulation on the approval of both cards and happy gardening. Spring has truly sprung for you and I am happy for you. Smiley Very Happy

TU: Fico 678 6-19-13 677 8/23/13
EQ: Fico 665 7-5-13 665 8/23/13
EX: Fico 681 Lender pulled 8/23/13

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.