cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got burned by Amex, Only allowing 1 payment a day.

tag
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Re: Got burned by Amex, Only allowing 1 payment a day.

@MasonK wrote:

I get around this by knowing how much I generally spend in a month and pay my Gold and Platinum with an overage to avoid that. Especially true for the Gold since it's the card I use the most. I pay $500 over the bill a few days before statement closes to ensure AZEO since the FU is my always reporting card.

I really like that Amex doesn't care if I way overpay the bill. The catch is that you can't overpay twice in the cycle as far as I can tell. If I put a $600 charge on the next day, I can't drop another $1k to pay it back under $0.

Oh is that the caveat? I'm finding that I can overpay my Platinum and Gold cards frequently, but it's won't let me paid more than is owed on my BCP. This is annoying to me since I like paying the cards I'm using heavily in $100 chunks for easier tracking, and the BCP is sitting at 54 and change while groceries are diverted to the Gold for the SUB atm. Now I have to decide whether to pay the odd amount or let it cut with that balance until the next EZ-pass refill charge (P2 uses tolls heavily enough that our minimum EZ-pass refill is up to $175, so it wouldnt let me do an oddball refill under that amount to bring the balance to 100 on the card.)

I feel the OP's pain.

SD - Biz -
Message 31 of 37
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@DONZI wrote:

There's always next month...

I experimented with AZEO for a few months and decided to ignore it. I consider the ALL ZERO reporting the baseline score and figure AZEO as just 'noise' anymore..

I'm content with that and it's makes using all my cards much less a bother as they all close/report across the month so AZEO is really a chore even for my small CC lineup.

... Why not change the statement close dates to be clumped together? I use the 10th and the 24/25/26 (stupid cards I can't change or vary based on month length/jump around based on weekends) as my two closure dates. It makes keeping on top of things so much easier.

Not that you were asking, but you did imply it was a pain even without AZEO.

SD - Biz -
Message 32 of 37
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

@TheRedHat wrote:

Next time, maybe put that $6.50 on a debit card if you have to make a transaction so close to the closing date? Just a thought?

Debit card? I don't know her. 

I opened my wallet and was going to pull out a chase card for the dining bonus, but then saw the shiny platinum sitting there and remembered I was getting the restaurant bonus from the sign up promotion. I figured they'd post it same day given their greedy past habits. I never imagined it would take 2 days to post, and not only that, but their "platinum service" refused to accept a 50 cent payment or even credit my account the 50 cents for the ridiculousness of the situation. What are they afraid of?  If they are afraid that my 50 cent payment is going to bounce, then I'm not sure why they approved me for a Platinum card Smiley Happy....They should have closed my account on the spot if they don't think I'm good for a 50 cent tab Smiley LOL

SUB chasing and AZEO are anti-matter / matter. Will always end in tears.

You don't seem to be blaming the other cards for foiling your AZEO plans. What caused those ships to sink?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 33 of 37
h2oeng
Contributor

You should really take a deep breath if you let something so trival eat your lunch like this, lol.  What is a $10 balance reporting to your credit really going to do to your score anyway?  

I pay the pending charges on my BCP card every month.  I agree, you can't off the AMEX website though.  I just set it up as a bill pay thru my checking account a few days before it's due.  I do the same thing with Discover as well.  

Message 34 of 37
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

OP, "all" you have to do is understand how the system works. If you try to impose your version of that, and it goes haywire, that does not make Amex "greedy," or culpable. It only demonstrates a disparity between your version of their reality and their version of their reality. Unfortunately, their version is trump.

More seriously, this board is chockablock full of superlative info that can help you understand the parameters associated with your accounts. Don't spend too much of your time railing about the injustice of it all.

Knowledge is power after all. 

Message 35 of 37
DONZI
Established Contributor

@unsungivy wrote:

@DONZI wrote:

There's always next month...

I experimented with AZEO for a few months and decided to ignore it. I consider the ALL ZERO reporting the baseline score and figure AZEO as just 'noise' anymore..

I'm content with that and it's makes using all my cards much less a bother as they all close/report across the month so AZEO is really a chore even for my small CC lineup.

... Why not change the statement close dates to be clumped together? I use the 10th and the 24/25/26 (stupid cards I can't change or vary based on month length/jump around based on weekends) as my two closure dates. It makes keeping on top of things so much easier.

Not that you were asking, but you did imply it was a pain even without AZEO.

I have thought about requesting cut date changes but AFAIK the two banks I have cards with (5/3rd and Synovus) bind the cards + deposit accts all to the same date.. I may revisit that again and find out for sure, but w/o doing AZEO it's just not important when they cut statements.

Additionally it does seem to make sense to have the balances report on all the cards to allow any FI to get a better perspective on my card use...that may be more useful than the small AZEO boost.

Gist of it is that doing monthly AZEO maintenance I decided wasn't meaningful benefit to my scores Vs just paying what I owe before it was due.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 36 of 37
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Credit12Fico wrote:

Silly me bought a sandwhich on my Platinum on the 25th.  Statement closing on the 27th. Normally greedy amex will post charges same day or next day so I thought I could pay if off before statement cut. Well they refused to post that sandwhich charge same day or next day. It was still pending as of today. Clearly someone in their back office works at Key bank (@Remedios Smiley Happy). They have it out for me.  Today I went to pay it off. Oddly it was only letting me pay $6, but no more since I had no balance. The sandwhich was $6.50. So I pay the $6 and as soon as I pay it, the charge from the sandwhich shop posted.  But only the remaining 50 cents.  So now I try to pay that 50 cents off from the app. The app won't let me pay it. I call up Amex and beg the agent to take the payment so my Amex won't cut with a balance to the bureaus (for those of you who have been following, you know the backstory....). The kind agent can't take the payment for 50 cents. The system isn't letting her. She says I can only make a payment once in 24 hours. Platinum concierge my rear Smiley Happy

Now you all might be wondering who this lunatic is crying about a 50 cent balance. But I have somehow gotten hosed left right and center by my lenders and Amex will be my 4th card reporting a balance now. I'm livid. 

Next time just push a payment, rather than pull it.

@SouthJamaica Correct....never skip leg day!  Ha! Ha!  had to get that one in......Push/Pull/Legs......lots of people follow this regiment.  So, what do we do on leg day?  That is neither "push" nor "pull"....

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.