Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got denied before finding this board!

tag
NickiB983
Valued Member

Got denied before finding this board!

Hello,

About 6 months ago I applied for, and was denied, a new Citi Card.  This was before I had found myfico-otherwise I would have tried harder and called the backdoor numbers to see if they could reverse their decision.  The credit check show up on my report, however.  I don't currently have a major CC of my own-my mother and I share a card (she doesn't use it at all - only I use it and pay it off).  This card adds YEARS to my credit history, though, as she originally opened it when I was 12 years old (I'm currently 26).  Anyways, back on the subject.  Should I apply for a major CC of my own, wait a few years, or try to find out if ther eis a way to get the CC from 6 months ago reconsidered (I don't even remember which CC exactly that it was!)???  I currently live with my husband and two children in a small apt. I pay off over 1k of debt a month and save 500 a month.  Right now my goal is to build my credit history so we can buy a home!

Starting Score: 660
Current Score: 740
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

Re: Got denied before finding this board!

@NickiB983 wrote:

Hello,

About 6 months ago I applied for, and was denied, a new Citi Card.  This was before I had found myfico-otherwise I would have tried harder and called the backdoor numbers to see if they could reverse their decision.  The credit check show up on my report, however.  I don't currently have a major CC of my own-my mother and I share a card (she doesn't use it at all - only I use it and pay it off).  This card adds YEARS to my credit history, though, as she originally opened it when I was 12 years old (I'm currently 26).  Anyways, back on the subject.  Should I apply for a major CC of my own, wait a few years, or try to find out if ther eis a way to get the CC from 6 months ago reconsidered (I don't even remember which CC exactly that it was!)???  I currently live with my husband and two children in a small apt. I pay off over 1k of debt a month and save 500 a month.  Right now my goal is to build my credit history so we can buy a home!

HI NickiB893!

Since you indicate that you were denied for a CC 6 months ago, I would ask if you have bothered to pull all 3 of your credit reports(EQ,EX,TU) as of yet?

You indicate that the inquiry shows up on a "report", but you dont indicate which one. I would start with getting a complete credit picture by knowing what is showing on all three reports, and building from there. You also seem to indicate that you are an AU on your mothers card which adds significant history to your credit file, so the denial has to be based on something contained in your existing report(s) if you have never had a revolving account of your own.

Knowing what is on all 3 reports would be the first step that I would recommend, especially if buying a home is your long term goal.

EQUIFAX - 640 1/05/12 - Goal of 720 by Mid May!
Transunion - 637 - 01/15/10
Message 2 of 3
NickiB983
Valued Member

Re: Got denied before finding this board!

Yes I have pulled two through FICO. It is an old student loan late payment (90 days) which I actually had thought I had deferred which is the biggest blemish.  Other than that I have two late payments (30 days) years apart on a CC i used to have.  Finally I was in collections for a bill in 2006 from college that I hadn't even realized I owed.  It was for Time Warner (a Jan bill when I had moved out in Dec. but forgot to cancel the service-even though I returned the box and supplies!).  That was from 2006.  I'm trying to find a way to fix the student loan at least.  My credit score is 689 as of yesterday.  I have many store CCs (macys walmart kohls) which I use and pay off religiously.  I also pay my student loan every month the past 6 months or so since I've started repayment.

Starting Score: 660
Current Score: 740
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.