cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got double charged on fidelity Amex/wait or dispute?

tag
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

Re: should i wait or dispute asap?

@Skye12329 wrote:

As for discover disputing they should be able to see the approval codes being the same if im reading your post correctly and fix that. If its a different dispute, its worth a shot, not everyone is going to have the same experience with disputing a transaction with them. So the other thread had a bad experience, you might not. Which in my opinion if a company says your not liable for any unauthorized charges thats a rather big statement to say, they should also stick by it too. 

i thought i mentioned it, but i guess maybe not. It's not discover. (it's just that i recently read a post about it and feel timid for disputing with any card company) The double charge is on my fidelity Amex. So it is FIA. or BOA or not yet BOA (i received a letter saying that it will be managed by boa effectively in Octorber ish or something like that). I had one dispute with FIA about three months ago and it was easy case. that amount was $9.5. Not sure if the amount $14 (over $10) might make a difference.... *sigh*

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: should i wait or dispute asap?

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

As for discover disputing they should be able to see the approval codes being the same if im reading your post correctly and fix that. If its a different dispute, its worth a shot, not everyone is going to have the same experience with disputing a transaction with them. So the other thread had a bad experience, you might not. Which in my opinion if a company says your not liable for any unauthorized charges thats a rather big statement to say, they should also stick by it too. 

i thought i mentioned it, but i guess maybe not. It's not discover. (it's just that i recently read a post about it and feel timid for disputing with any card company) The double charge is on my fidelity Amex. So it is FIA. or BOA or not yet BOA (i received a letter saying that it will be managed by boa effectively in Octorber ish or something like that). I had one dispute with FIA about three months ago and it was easy case. that amount was $9.5. Not sure if the amount $14 (over $10) might make a difference.... *sigh*

About 2-3 years ago I had a fradulent charge on one of my BoA cards. I called as soon as I saw the charge. It was handled painlessly. It wasn't some double-charge at a restaurant. It was someone that had started some magazine subscription and somehow I got charged for it. For all I know, it could've been a case of someone typing the wrong digit. Who knows. Either way, BoA handled it like pros.

Message 12 of 17
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Re: Got double charged on fidelity Amex/wait or dispute?

Credit card company's are like Car Insurance company's. They advertise "0% Liable for unauthorized purchases" just like insurance company's advertise "Easy Claim process". It is an added benefit to these products but of course shouldn't be abused. There's no reason why it would affect your credit score. In fact, the worse than can happen is that they don't approve your disputes anymore. That would mean you would have to file disputes on a constant basis and for larger amounts. You should be fine with disputing it.

I had a similar problem with Walgreens a few weeks ago on my Arrival Plus card. The lady had me swipe my card to check to see if I had any points, I realized after that she didn't have to make me swipe my cc. She then "canceled" the transaction and asked me to swipe my card again. I was a little skeptical. After I left the store, I checked my mobile app. $54 x 3. Lol. Fortunately they dropped off and only one charge of $54 went through. The point in my store is, just wait and see if it drops on its own, if not, dispute it.
Message 13 of 17
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

Re: Got double charged on fidelity Amex/wait or dispute?

Dispute it... and let the card issuer take care of it.  I've had great success with Chase and AMEX when it came to any charges that where the establishment refused to refund me for something I was unable to participate in or any unauthorized charges. 

Submit and forget.  Keep your receipt(s) handy just incase you need to submit it as proof.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 14 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Got double charged on fidelity Amex

@Christina_xyt wrote:
After reading the discover handling the dispute thread, I totally lost confidence for any dispute department.

One data point is never a trend.  Use the dispute process. That's precisely what it's for.

@Christina_xyt wrote:

I usually don't open a tab. I pay each time i ordered a drink since i never got more than 3. Usually it's one or two. 

Maybe you should reconsider this approach.  From a theoretical standpoint more individual charges means more chances of issues (whether intentional, accidental, etc).

Message 15 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Have the charges actually posted, or are any pending?  That might be why CK shows a different transaction count.

If the extra one is pending, just see if it posts or drops off.  The CC company won't allow disputes on pending charges anyway.

Message 16 of 17
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Have the charges actually posted, or are any pending?  That might be why CK shows a different transaction count.

If the extra one is pending, just see if it posts or drops off.  The CC company won't allow disputes on pending charges anyway.

They were posted more than a week ago.

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.