cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my second approval for Discover card in 3 months?

tag
8Gettingback

Got my second approval for Discover card in 3 months?

Hello,

I've been reading everywhere that you can only get your second Discover card after you've had your first for 1 year. Can they pull their offer off the table?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Got my second approval for Discover card in 3 months?

@8Gettingback wrote:

Hello,

I've been reading everywhere that you can only get your second Discover card after you've had your first for 1 year. Can they pull their offer off the table?

Hi and welcome to myFICO

A second Disco approval in only 3 months is extremely rare. And, we here at myFICO love DPs. Can you share yours and a screenshot of your approval would be nice. It would be awesome if Disco is changing up how they’re doing things. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 13
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

I got my second Discover four months after my first (April and August of 2018). I think I am a massive anomaly. My second card was in response to a pre-approved mailer they sent me (not online pre-qual). I didn’t expect it to actually be approved, but it was. I would expect that they can and will take the offer off the table-especially if the fine print/terms & conditions mention anything about another card within the past year.

I still think it was a fluke because now when I call about doing a PC, they want me to wait on the second card until the first is 25 months old (essentially the date that second card would be a year old had I waited a year)

In retrospect, I should have waited as I lost quite a bit on the cash back match for the first year (since I only spend so much and now was dividing that between 2 cards).
Message 3 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@8Gettingback 

If you're talking about running a preapproval while first card is under a year old, it will tell you if you're preapproved or not. 

If you proceed with the app, it will get denied because accounts are too close together, usually without a HP, or at least that's how it used to be. 

There really is no way to tell for sure if they have changed their policy, unless several people whose cards are under a year apply and get approved. 

Message 4 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@I_Love_Cards wrote:
I got my second Discover four months after my first (April and August of 2018). I think I am a massive anomaly. My second card was in response to a pre-approved mailer they sent me (not online pre-qual). I didn’t expect it to actually be approved, but it was. I would expect that they can and will take the offer off the table-especially if the fine print/terms & conditions mention anything about another card within the past year.

I still think it was a fluke because now when I call about doing a PC, they want me to wait on the second card until the first is 25 months old (essentially the date that second card would be a year old had I waited a year)

In retrospect, I should have waited as I lost quite a bit on the cash back match for the first year (since I only spend so much and now was dividing that between 2 cards).

Thanks for sharing. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 13
8Gettingback

How do I insert the screen shot

Message 6 of 13
8Gettingback

Yes thats exactly what I thought. But when I went online and did a PQ it said I was qualified for the IT and Chrome. I said what the heck and was approved for a $10000 chrome. I have the approval screenshot but I don't know how to insert it on the message. V=Can you help with that please?

Message 7 of 13
8Gettingback

Thank you, I might have to go through that.

Message 8 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Taking a screenshot

On your computer, 

Reply to message

Click Photos (camera icon)

Choose file or drag photo to upload pic

Choose size (on right-hand side)

click done

Message 9 of 13
8Gettingback

@CreditInspired wrote:

@8Gettingback wrote:

Hello,

Hi and welcome to myFICO

A second Disco approval in only 3 months is extremely rare. And, we here at myFICO love DPs. Can you share yours and a screenshot of your approval would be nice. It would be awesome if Disco is changing up how they’re doing things. 

I dont have a high enough membership level to upload pictures yet. All I have is a rich text and preview about the message.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.