Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got the Amex FR Call :(

tag
sdchrgrboy
Contributor

Re: Got the Amex FR Call :(

@Falere wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but every poster I remember that complied with the request had their limits left alone or lowered; I don't recall any closures.  Personally, I find what they're asking for to be quite invasive but to each their own.

Why is it invasive? They are lending you credit and want to protect thier interests. Nothing wrong with that.  I have had a  Gold Card and TE card since '05, In 2014 I ran over $35k in 2 months which was unusual for them. It was all reimbursible business expenses and I was trying to rack up points for airfare for a trip. I went through the FR and sent them want they wanted. Why, because I have nothing to hide and I don't exagerate my income. I just recently applied for a BCE to replace the TE and was approved for $23k, my TE was only $8k.  So I don't know why people are so afraid of a FR.  Remember no income verification mortages?  Try getting one now without proving your income.  

$325k Total Limits, 4% Util
Message 51 of 119
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@Falere wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but every poster I remember that complied with the request had their limits left alone or lowered; I don't recall any closures.  Personally, I find what they're asking for to be quite invasive but to each their own.

What could be more invasive than running your Credit Report? Simple rule is don't put something on your application that you can't prove. They are lending you, it only makes sense to confirm applicants income. Would you lend someone 100 bucks if you know they only make 10 bucks? (Just an example)

Message 52 of 119
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@sdchrgrboy wrote:

@Falere wrote:

Why is it invasive? They are lending you credit and want to protect thier interests. Nothing wrong with that.  I have had a  Gold Card and TE card since '05, In 2014 I ran over $35k in 2 months which was unusual for them. It was all reimbursible business expenses and I was trying to rack up points for airfare for a trip. I went through the FR and sent them want they wanted. Why, because I have nothing to hide and I don't exagerate my income. I just recently applied for a BCE to replace the TE and was approved for $23k, my TE was only $8k.  So I don't know why people are so afraid of a FR.  Remember no income verification mortages?  Try getting one now without proving your income.  

I'm not pro or con, but to answer your question some people (but not all) feel it's invasive since the tax transcript has much more information than simply your income.

When Amex calls for an FR, folks just have to do what's right for them; there's no 'one-size-fits-all' answer. 

It's quite subjective as to if it's overly invasive or not. 

Message 53 of 119
Bman70
Established Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@Falere wrote:

What could be more invasive than running your Credit Report? Simple rule is don't put something on your application that you can't prove. They are lending you, it only makes sense to confirm applicants income. Would you lend someone 100 bucks if you know they only make 10 bucks? (Just an example)

Well, sure, that's the point of the credit check. If they only make $10, but they have a long record that shows they've repeatedly borrowed $100 and paid it back, obviously they're more reliable than someone making $1000 who has 50 open collections. Smiley Happy 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 54 of 119
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone's total household income is not documentable. Many people do side jobs which pay in cash. Just tell them that. $20,000 more than what w-2,s show really isn't that much.

Message 55 of 119
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Everyone's total household income is not documentable. Many people do side jobs which pay in cash. Just tell them that. $20,000 more than what w-2,s show really isn't that much.

And which the IRS requires that you report as income. When I filled out my Amex app I had to disclose investments, savings, checking, income, etc., It was by far the most invasive charge/credit card app I had ever filled out. I could have lied every step of the way. An FR is one way for Amex to verify that what you told them is indeed fact. If they like what they see you have no problems. If they don't like what they see then you have problems. I have never been subjected to an FR by Amex. But then again, I was honest from the start. And I ain't no angel. I just know that being fiscally responsible will get you far in this world. And, I expect lenders to be honest with me so at the very least I need to be honest with them. When ever I am asked to update my income for the prior year I always tell the truth. And my income can swing 20-30K from year to year. It has never resulted in a CLD but it has resulted in a CLI less than I requested or a CLI denial.

Message 56 of 119
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi this to me. I provided my tax documents and my card was reinstated following day. Never had any issues since.
Message 57 of 119
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

That's why I always round my income down to the nearest whole number. Sheesh, just send them in and see if they just decrease them, if it's a 60k fluff on a 35k income then you have some talking to do.
Message 58 of 119
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Should be reporting that to the IRS or you might get a nice audit like myself is going through for different reasons.  They aren't fun either, let me tell you that

Message 59 of 119
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@sdchrgrboy wrote:

@Falere wrote:

It is invasive considering there is other ways to prove income without using the Tax income form..... I gone through it as well since I figured why not but still found it invasive. Havent really put any spending on my Amex cards until recently and i got FR'ed back in Dec 2014

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 60 of 119
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.