Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got the Discover It today, need advice

tag
sideshowmer
Established Member

Got the Discover It today, need advice

My card just arrived today and I would like to know the best way to tend to this card. I got the card with a 0.0% APR offer til 6/2015, how should I best utilize this offer? Any other advice with using this card would be appreciated as well, it rewards etc....

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

Re: Got the Discover It today, need advice

can't give advice on the APR since i always PIF but as far the rest:

as with all rotation cards, make sure that you sign up for the 5% bonus every cycle. April is the start of the new cycle, so you should be able to sign up now so you can earn the bonus. Discover has a great rewards shopping mall. great way to maximize points.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 2 of 11
sideshowmer
Established Member

So would I just sign up online for this 5% bonus and will they give it to me because i just go the card?

Message 3 of 11
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@sideshowmer wrote:

So would I just sign up online for this 5% bonus and will they give it to me because i just go the card?

You have to sign up every quarter in order to get the 5% bonus

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 11
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

Like milkshakes said, you actually have to sign up for the rotational categories, but it's literally just one click of a button. Hardest part is remembering to do it. The online account is my favorite amongst all my cards. Easy to navigate and everything is there for you. ShopDiscover is great and $1 for $1 with Amazon is a good deal too. Amazon is where all my rewards dollars have gone, but you can also use them as statement credit. The good thing with 0% APR for a year is you can carry a balance if you want and not worry about interest. Discover never seemed to worry about my balances and I had high utilizations on that card at times. So, if you have any purchases you want to make, don't feel like you can't use the card. Discover is a great company and will work with you as long as you don't abuse the card. Excited for you! 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 5 of 11
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

yup. every quarter when they rotate bonuses you just have to click a couple buttons to sign up for it. always automatically approved for it -- they even send emails (iirc) to let you know that you can sign up for the next rotation bonus. a tad annoying that they don't just give it to you, but im assuming there's some legalese involved in why they require you to opt-in 4 times a year

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 6 of 11
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

Like milkshakes said, you actually have to sign up for the rotational categories, but it's literally just one click of a button. Hardest part is remembering to do it. The online account is my favorite amongst all my cards. Easy to navigate and everything is there for you. ShopDiscover is great and $1 for $1 with Amazon is a good deal too. Amazon is where all my rewards dollars have gone, but you can also use them as statement credit. The good thing with 0% APR for a year is you can carry a balance if you want and not worry about interest. Discover never seemed to worry about my balances and I had high utilizations on that card at times. So, if you have any purchases you want to make, don't feel like you can't use the card. Discover is a great company and will work with you as long as you don't abuse the card. Excited for you!

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 7 of 11
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

+1 about ease of navigation through their site and their CS. definitely modernized and more pleasant to go through than some of the other banks.

congratulations btw!

Message 8 of 11
Vegas247
Established Contributor

I got my card and used it to take out the family to the movies and the next day signed up for the 5%..........do I still get the 5% credit for the movie????

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 9 of 11
sideshowmer
Established Member

When I sign up for the 5% and get approval, does the sign up do any HP on my credit again as when I first applied?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.