Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grandfathered Venture X Card?

tag
Hex
Valued Contributor

Re: Grandfathered Venture X Card?

@longtimelurker  That would be interesting to see but unfortunately I don't have a need to use the portal just yet. I will update when I do. 

Message 11 of 59
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

This better work or Imma gunna be mad.... @Hex. 😜

I called in and my $59 AF Venture was eligible for the X "upgrade."

They read the disclaimers.  One specific condition is that if I decide to not keep the X, then my option with be either the Venture One or Quicksilver one (I think.)  I won't be able to go back to my Venture. 

More to come...

Message 12 of 59
Hex
Valued Contributor

@NoMoreE46 

Yes when they read me the disclaimer they said if I decided to upgrade to the "X"  that in the future it would only be eligible to be PC'd back to a to a Regular Quicksilver or a Venture One. I'm 100% certain of this and I posted about it in the primary Venture X thread. The one thing that might make my case different from others is that I upgraded during my renewal month after they had sent my membership renewal fee ($59) notice. Did you accept the upgrade? If so what is the annual fee listed (under account details) now? I sure hope it works for you if you try it and that it lasts for both of us.  Please do update this thread when you get more data.  Good luck!

Message 13 of 59
Hex
Valued Contributor

@NoMoreE46 

One of the reasons I decided to PC to the Venture X is because of the minimum CL you need for the card. I was thinking that most likely if they decided to CLD the Venture X for not enough use they wouldn't lower it below $10K because you need a $10K limit for an Infinite card. Since they had recently warned me about low usage on my Venture card I thought the upgrade might act like a kind of credit limit insurance. Of course it's their card and they can do whatever they want but I figure I'd attempt to optimize my position.  

Message 14 of 59
Hex
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Sounds like you really lucked out, at least for now!  I really doubt if there can be an "official" policy about this, grandfathering usually will fix the AF (and/or rewards) for an existing card, not once you PC.    

I would suggest you try to use the travel credit (if you have something to book of course) and see what happens.  A $300 credit (+ other perks) for $59 would be very nice.

I've been perusing the rewards notice they sent me with the new card and it doesn't mention the $300 statement credit so I don't think I'll be getting that. It does say that I will get:

10X miles on hotels and car rentals

5X on fights

10K mile anniversary bonus

So if my fee remains at $59 I'll net the potential equivalent of $41 when I renew. For someone with the standard $95 Venture annual fee it would be +$5 a year.
But in addition to this with the upgrade I also got:

Visa Infinite benefits 

Cell phone insurance 

Priorty Pass

Hertz President's Circle upgrade 

No new account penalties

No Triple pull

Kept my 17.99 APR

So it's still really nice as far as I'm concerned. 
I did give up (assuming I would have been approved):

100K bonus

$300 dollar yearly portal use statement credit 

Since I shouldn't be applying for new accounts right now it works for me. 

Message 15 of 59
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Hex wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Sounds like you really lucked out, at least for now!  I really doubt if there can be an "official" policy about this, grandfathering usually will fix the AF (and/or rewards) for an existing card, not once you PC.    

I would suggest you try to use the travel credit (if you have something to book of course) and see what happens.  A $300 credit (+ other perks) for $59 would be very nice.

I've been perusing the rewards notice they sent me with the new card and it doesn't mention the $300 statement credit so I don't think I'll be getting that. It does say that I will get:

5X on fights

So if my fee remains at $59 I'll net the potential equivalent of $41 when I renew. For someone with the standard $95 Venture annual fee it would be +$5 a year.

Visa Infinite benefits 

Cell phone insurance 

Priorty Pass

No new account penalties

No Triple pull

Kept my 17.99 APR

100K bonus

@Hex ,

So I upgraded to the X.

It has been a few days and my AF still reflects $59 as well!  🤫

Per the Benefits tabs,  I get everything you listed, but I also get the $300 travel portal credit.

(Take a gander and see if you might have this perk as well.)

There is no 100,000 mile SUB for dropping $10,000 in 6 months understandably.

Ironically, our situation now would probably let us get this in three months - bummer.

65F45BD5-F14C-432C-B473-24D555C22CA5.jpeg

4150A025-65E7-40B1-9AD3-B020FB86F99F.jpeg

4442D6CD-C871-4097-9EDF-B6EF3D2B3A35.jpeg

2462EFE7-B0EB-4C51-A984-80580491FBC5.jpeg

Message 16 of 59
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Hex wrote:

@NoMoreE46 

One of the reasons I decided to PC to the Venture X is because of the minimum CL you need for the card. I was thinking that most likely if they decided to CLD the Venture X for not enough use they wouldn't lower it below $10K because you need a $10K limit for an Infinite card. Since they had recently warned me about low usage on my Venture card I thought the upgrade might act like a kind of credit limit insurance. Of course it's their card and they can do whatever they want but I figure I'd attempt to optimize my position.  

It never occurred to me that since the X is an Infinite,  that that CapOne would stick to the min $10,000 limit. 

Interesting collateral benefit @Hex.

Message 17 of 59
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think the closest precedent to this would be product changes to the QuicksilverOne. Fees tend to be the same both before and after the PC. People do this upgrade when they have an ancient fee-based Platinum card that may or may not have been originally opened with another bank.

Message 18 of 59
Hex
Valued Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

@Hex wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

5X on fights

Visa Infinite benefits 

Cell phone insurance 

Priorty Pass

No new account penalties

No Triple pull

Kept my 17.99 APR

100K bonus

@Hex ,

So I upgraded to the X.

It has been a few days and my AF still reflects $59 as well!  🤫

Per the Benefits tabs,  I get everything you listed, but I also get the $300 travel portal credit.

(Take a gander and see if you might have this perk as well.)

There is no 100,000 mile SUB for dropping $10,000 in 6 months understandably.

Ironically, our situation now would probably let us get this in three months - bummer.

65F45BD5-F14C-432C-B473-24D555C22CA5.jpeg

4150A025-65E7-40B1-9AD3-B020FB86F99F.jpeg

4442D6CD-C871-4097-9EDF-B6EF3D2B3A35.jpeg

@NoMoreE46  I'm really glad it worked out. I wouldn't want you mad at me!

Your APR is 17.99 too? We really are Cap1 twins.   Smiley Happy

I hope you're right about the $300 annual travel credit. My dashboard looks identical to yours and it does show the travel credit but the benefits letter they sent me in the US mail (copy in account documents) doesn't mention it with my list of benefits. Plus at some point I followed some link about the annual travel credit and I saw some language about it only being available for eligible cards (or was it accounts)? Anyway it seemed like some sort of a disclaimer. I was looking for it again just now but I can't  seem to find it. I sure hope you're right. Either way since I'm seriously thinking of making a more important credit application soon (and I shouldn't be opening any other new accounts right now) a new credit card application is out of the question.

Even without the $300 annual travel credit I'm still getting a much improved card with a net credit for an annual fee. It's all good!!!

Get what in 3 months? 

Message 19 of 59
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Thanks for letting me know about this path to the X card @Hex .  Much appreciated.

Message 20 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.