Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grocery card with no FTF

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Grocery card with no FTF

Asking for a daughter who might be living abroad for a while.    Looking for a card with no FTF that gives rewards on foreign grocery stores and earns more than 2%  (She has the paypal 2% card).   I have the Penfed Plat Rewards which gives around 2.54%, just wondering what is better....

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Grocery card with no FTF

I can't think of much that is both simple and flexible. Amazon/WF, and Target are easy but inflexible. BofA Travel/Premium are flexible but require significant deposits to come out ahead.

Maybe just get a nice bonus like Savor? How much foreign grocery spend are we talking about?

*Forgot Savor has reportedly been cut to $300. Maybe something with $500+.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:
I can't think of much that is both simple and flexible. Amazon/WF, and Target are easy but inflexible. BofA Travel/Premium are flexible but require significant deposits to come out ahead.

Maybe just get a nice bonus like Savor? How much foreign grocery spend are we talking about?

*Forgot Savor has reportedly been cut to $300. Maybe something with $500+.

Potentially a lot of spend over a few years.   Just checking UK sites, 0.5% seems to be the norm!   So, paypal will at least give 2% (unless they complain about too much spend being foreign).   Yes, BoA with a large deposit would work, but the large deposit bit isn't going to happen (at least not from my funds!).   Just half hoping someone would point on the obvious card that I had forgotten.

Message 3 of 27
wasCB14
Super Contributor

NFCU More? 3x but not sure what the points are worth. Lower acceptance, too.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

What is the grocery store where DD will be purchasing? My experience in the Netherlands, with Albert Heijne, they don't take credit cards. You have to have a chip+PIN debit card or Euros (Pounds) cash to purchase. Irritated me when I have a fancy Diners Premier with Chip_PIN. I don't know if that is common across all stores, but if it is, then a high-rewards credit card isn't going to work too well. Smiley Sad

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 27
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

What is the grocery store where DD will be purchasing? My experience in the Netherlands, with Albert Heijne, they don't take credit cards. You have to have a chip+PIN debit card or Euros (Pounds) cash to purchase. Irritated me when I have a fancy Diners Premier with Chip_PIN. I don't know if that is common across all stores, but if it is, then a high-rewards credit card isn't going to work too well. Smiley Sad

I was going to make a similar comment.

Grocery stores abroad are usually not at all like grocery stores in the US. Many don't even take credit cards, and those that do, you have no idea how they are going to be categorized. Most "grocery stores" I've been to abroad are more like a 7-11 than anything else. And just get categorized as a general merchandise sort of category. Most countries outside the US don't really have "Safeway" type grocery stores like we have.

I would just find a card that has a good non-category-based reward, and stick with that. The Alliant Signature Visa gives 2.5% cash back on all purchases, and has no FTF. The Discover It card *sometimes* has a Grocery category, and no FTF. The Uber card, the Amazon Visa, and the Chase Sapphires all have decent rewards and no FTF.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 6 of 27
SBR249
Established Contributor

I have never walked into a UK grocery store that didn't take credit card. Tesco, Sainsbury, M&S, Co-op all took CCs. Even Chip & Pin transactions though is pretty uncommon these days. Most of the time, it's contactless so maybe have you daughter test out whether she could use a foreign card on Apple Pay or something. Otherwise, ordering groceries to be delivered is also very common, when you can pay £1 to have someone bring all your groceries right to your door in a 2hr time slot, why wouldn't you? Might also be easier to use foreign cards that way. And if all else fails, manned cash registers almost always take foreign cards, even the ones you sign. 

In any case, the whole rewards CC thing isn't very big there because the EU has effectively capped interchange fees at very low levels (think debit card levels). I have a 1% AmEx cashback card from the UK and that was about as good as it got, I think it's bumped up to 1.25% after the first £10,000 in annual spending. Problem was that there was a minimum yearly spend that you had to hit to get any cashback (£1000 I think? Maybe £2000) and so many places just didn't take AmEx. 

But back on topic, it might be easier to just stick with a flat CB card like the Paypal MC for simplicity sake. 

Message 7 of 27
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@SBR249 wrote:

I have never walked into a UK grocery store that didn't take credit card. Tesco, Sainsbury, M&S, Co-op all took CCs. Even Chip & Pin transactions though is pretty uncommon these days. Most of the time, it's contactless so maybe have you daughter test out whether she could use a foreign card on Apple Pay or something. Otherwise, ordering groceries to be delivered is also very common, when you can pay £1 to have someone bring all your groceries right to your door in a 2hr time slot, why wouldn't you? Might also be easier to use foreign cards that way. And if all else fails, manned cash registers almost always take foreign cards, even the ones you sign. 

But back on topic, it might be easier to just stick with a flat CB card like the Paypal MC for simplicity sake. 

My experiences in the UK mirror yours - their grocery stores are fairly similar to the US's. But outside the UK, the game changes entirely, and grocery shopping is a LOT different.

Totally agree that a flat CB card is probably the best choice here.

Message 8 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

Capital One Quicksilver, if one does not want an AF.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 27
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

O

@NRB525 wrote:

Capital One Quicksilver, if one does not want an AF.

In fact, all CapitalOne cards have no FTF, which is pretty cool. Discover is the same way. FTF varies from card to card with other banks.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.