Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grocery store credit card set up?

tag
cws-21
Established Contributor

Re: Grocery store credit card set up?

My apologies, again. Obviously, I had thought @Remedios meant Amazon Rewards when she indicated "I use AR almost exclusively." Thank you, @longtimelurker, for the clarification. I think I should just enjoy reading this discussion rather than contributing given I am so much off my game today.

Message 31 of 41
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@cws-21 wrote:

My apologies, again. Obviously, I had thought @Remedios meant Amazon Rewards when she indicated "I use AR almost exclusively." Thank you, @longtimelurker, for the clarification. I think I should just enjoy reading this discussion rather than contributing given I am so much off my game today.

Lol no, I wasn't exactly as clear as I could have been.

Altitude Reserve is 3% back on mobile payments, 4.5% when redeemed for travel. 

I use it for groceries, and if, as an example, Chase has grocery quarter, instead of paying with Chase card, I use it to buy GCs, get my URs that way. 

I call that "get ready for Xmas" because I gave two teens who only want everything. 

Message 32 of 41
cws-21
Established Contributor

Thanks, @Remedios. I guess I could speak more intelligently about having teens who want everything, given I have three teen daughters, but I don't think that would advance the conversation regarding grocery card setup.

Message 33 of 41
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

Based on my own experience and your profile I would recommend the Amex Blue Cash Preferred for the 6% on all groceries and streaming. You could also use it for 3% on gas if you like.  I wouldn't worry about the annual fee too much. I have this card and had to pay the AF in year one and I've easily made that up and far surpassed it early on in my first months of having it. 

I'd also consider using the Discover It card and the Chase Freedom card for some wholesale club spend. I know for 1 quarter each year they both have 5% on Wholesale clubs. I know Costco doesn't take Discover which could create a concern. If you're willing to leave Costco and shop somewhere like Sam's Club that accepts Discover you could get 5% minimum on Wholesale clubs for 6 months of the year. Then just use the Citi Double Cash for all the wholesale club purchases in the months when you're not getting 5%.  

Discover it also has a quarter of 5% cash back on groceries. So when that quarter happens you'd be getting 5% on groceries 3 months out of the year.  You can use this option to help make sure you don't run out of the $6000 per year maximum allotment of 6% on groceries that the Blue Cash Preferred offers. 

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 for BCP

Message 35 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@cws-21 wrote:

No worries, @cws-21, and certainly no reason to stop contributing.  Smiley Wink

We use a lot of acronyms around here and it can get confusing... this might help: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

Message 36 of 41
cws-21
Established Contributor

@UncleB, thank you. I appreciate it. I think I got it out of my system (hopefully).

Message 37 of 41
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

OP - do you use the Discover It and/or Chase Freedom for groceries during the quarters when they have 5% grocery cash back?  Between the cards you could usually get 5% on groceries for six months of the year (though I'll note the introduction of the Chase Freedom Flex last year and its accompanying 5% on groceries for the first 12 months for people who signed up for it between mid-September 2020 and mid-January 2021 means it is possible the Chase Freedom will NOT have a 5% grocery cash back quarter in 2021).

Assuming you do use the Discover It and/or Chase Freedom for groceries when that is the reward category, I think the Amex Blue Cash Everyday is your best bet; you could get 3% cash back during the other quarters when neither of the first two cards I mentioned have groceries as a bonus category and/or you've reached $1500 in spending for the quarter.  You could then use a different card at warehouse membership stores.

Agreed, this is my method. Just got BBVA CP so that method could change. I see they do amazing target offers

Message 38 of 41
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@cws-21 wrote:

@longtimelurker, I'm not sure what you mean. Discover It would certainly be better than the BCP if it were uncapped and available all the time, but, since it isn't, the BCP is the better option.

Right, but you said that you forgot the cap and quarter restriction, and I was pointing out that if there wasn't one, you still wouldn't use the BCP (as you did in your calculation).

And it's worth remembering there are other 5% solutions.   Most of my grocery spend is at WholeFoods, so the uncapped free (well, with Prime membership which I would have anyway) Chase Amazon beats the BCP.    And, if your grocery store is one of the Albertson brands (Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Jewel-Osco, Shaw's, Acme, Tom Thumb, Randalls, United Supermarkets, Pavilions, Star Market, Haggen and Carrs) or Ahold (stop and shop/giant) you can buy gift cards on Amazon for an uncapped 5% with the Chase card.

Any adult learners that have a .edu email address, you can get your prime membership for half price (student prime)

Message 39 of 41
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

@Jordan23ww wrote:

Based on my own experience and your profile I would recommend the Amex Blue Cash Preferred for the 6% on all groceries and streaming. You could also use it for 3% on gas if you like.  I wouldn't worry about the annual fee too much. I have this card and had to pay the AF in year one and I've easily made that up and far surpassed it early on in my first months of having it. 

I'd also consider using the Discover It card and the Chase Freedom card for some wholesale club spend. I know for 1 quarter each year they both have 5% on Wholesale clubs. I know Costco doesn't take Discover which could create a concern. If you're willing to leave Costco and shop somewhere like Sam's Club that accepts Discover you could get 5% minimum on Wholesale clubs for 6 months of the year. Then just use the Citi Double Cash for all the wholesale club purchases in the months when you're not getting 5%.  

Discover it also has a quarter of 5% cash back on groceries. So when that quarter happens you'd be getting 5% on groceries 3 months out of the year.  You can use this option to help make sure you don't run out of the $6000 per year maximum allotment of 6% on groceries that the Blue Cash Preferred offers. 

Chase Freedom 5% wholesale clubs started April 1😀.  Been stocking up at Costco already!

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.