Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grudges

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grudges

I have seen posts asking if so and so bank holds a grudge. 

My question for you all. Do you guys hold any grudges against any lenders and why?

Im not sure if we can discuss this here. If it's ok I'll post mine. If not my apologies and please delete 

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Grudges

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the topic. Problem is, for every person that has a bad experience, there'll be someone that had a good one. Back and forth tend to ensue.

To answer your topic, I hate Citi. Had a bad experience with their executive office. Straight up said we're just numbers to them. They don't care about loyalty. We're just integers in their algorithm. Sadly, I'm not exaggerating. I cancelled my cards right then and there. Haven't had a Citi account since and it's been about 10 years. Unfortunately, I want the Macy's card, so yeah....

Message 2 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

orchard bank stole my deposit on a secured card i had, and i never got it back. the company was bought by capitalOne so i guess i lost the deposit forever now.

Message 3 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Brian earl 

I agree 100%. Just as the 2 I have a grudge with are highly praised here. 

First grudge. I had a WAMU Card with a $7500 limit. I had a balance of $4800. Chase bought them and out of no where they lowered my limit to $2500 putting me over and really affecting my credit at the time. I called them to see why and to see if they would raise it to at least me not being over my limit and was told they couldn't tell me why it was lowered and wouldn't raise it. Never had a late payment on that account. Paid it off and closed the account. Grudge #1

B Of A. Opened an account with them. Had a little over $300k in the accounts. The teller one day said you should apply for a credit card. I did and was denied. She said you can get a secured and make 12 on time payments and you will get your deposit back and will get a unsecured card. I said ok and opened a secured with $5k. At 12 months called and asked about this and I was told the card wasn't able to graduate and they are sorry but the teller told me wrong info. Well that's not my fault but I'm the one that pays. Reason they wouldn't was at the time I had a charge off for a CC on my report but it wasn't mine. I fought this over and over and is gone now but I asked Why this wasn't a problem when you guys let me open an account. Simply because the money i was depositing when opening the account. So I closed the CC a few months later. 

Now my credit is better and there is no derogs at all. I went and applied for a card and I get denied. Reason being not enough deposits with BofA. Well yeah since the other bs that happened I started using another bank. 

So after this I closed my account with BofA and that's grudge #2. 

no matter how good either of these banks are to most and they could have the best cc's around I will never ever give them my time or money. 

Message 4 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

orchard bank stole my deposit on a secured card i had, and i never got it back. the company was bought by capitalOne so i guess i lost the deposit forever now.

That sucks. Sorry to hear 

Message 5 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still hold a grudge against BoA. Their pre-CARD Act shenanigans were a huge contributing factor to me having to file BK. 

Message 6 of 61
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That sucks. Sorry to hear 

They went bust with $1250 of mine as well

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 7 of 61
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I dont hold grudges if they have something I want. Holding the grudge at the expense of my wallet is a silly concept to me. 

I dont have to like them to take what they have. 

As far as lenders holding grudges, they dont. Computers dont have that ability. There is usually something on their end that provokes a reaction. Some are quicker to react, others have a longer leash but it's still a leash. Seeing how it usually involves rise in utilization, defaulting, returned payments, lates etc, it's to be expected. They are in business of making money. 

Capital One is frequently referred as "forgiving" and "not holding grudges" except they will approve you for a card while suing you over another card. 

It's not a grudge or forgiveness, those are human emotions. It's just business. 

Sooner we realize we're just numbers (small and large alike) less heartbreak to be had. 

Message 8 of 61
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Remedios brings up a good point, one that I didn't learn until later after I closed those cards. It's just business. While I haven't done business with Citi since closing those cards, I'm not opposed to opening new ones. I just don't have any urge to do so.

Message 9 of 61
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I could hold grudges against pretty much every lender I have other than Amex. Pre-CARD Act I got balance chased and rate jacked very badly. But I took a big gamble with low/no-APR borrowing just before the financial crisis and it ended up hurting financially.

Once my financial house was more in order and I learned that simply paying on time for decades wasn’t exactly what lenders and credit scoring was looking for, that changed. Drastically. The floodgates opened the last few years.

I won’t tell others not to get Capital One, but I do hold a grudge with them for never giving me more than the starting lines they gave me when I first started with credit decades ago. They swallowed other accounts and did the same. Then denied me for a prime card. I still have a CapOne-backed Kohl’s Card but choose not to go the CapOne route ever again myself.
Message 10 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.