Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gte Apr reduction. getting close to ring

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Gte Apr reduction. getting close to ring

Yep Ring scared me even if it was an 8% apr if I ever wanted to carry a balance they could put me in a hairy situation if they don't like something whether it being a big balance transfer or to many recent accounts or whatever other reason they could dream up, possibly take AA due to holding said balance on it.  So for me it just wasn't worth it to have a card that you are afraid to use for its intended purpose being holding a balance.  I feel alot more comfortable carrying a balance on a CU account than with Barclay's.  CU's obviously can do AA as well, but I would tend to believe they don't do it near as much as the magical Ring card.  Heck I don't get charged cash advance fees now if I want to use my PenFed  CC for that purpose and a good APR as well.  I plan on picking up another CU next year as well.. Diversity as we all saySmiley Happy.  I don't carry balances, but I still want a oh shiz card if ever needed as life throws you curve balls when least expected.

edit:  I stink at spelling/grammar

Message 11 of 17
taxi818
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Thanks all. I guess im gonna have to use it more. For some reason i just have not used it. Iirc it was an instant approval after being a member with them a year. only 5k limit but upon approval they used the old eq beacon 5.0 version of fico. Which was very low. around 663. Still love them with this low rate. so carrying a big balance is not problem at all.

Excellent results on the lower APR taxi.  You're not missing much on the Ring IMO.  CreditCuriosity closed his and combined his CL to another Barclays card and baller no longer has hers (and closed Sallie Mae) not long ago.  CUs tend to offer greater flexibility and diversity especially with sustaining lower APRs and other lending products in the long run. 

Thanks Fin. I had no idea those guys closed their ring cards. Wow. I kinda agree that Barclays is just a bit too picky for me. Ive never done anything wrong with them. Got my Apple card last september and like clock work. every 4 months getting cli albeit Hp. since i had tu inquiries to spare at the time. Early September this year was eligible again and got auto denial. With no Hp. The luv button vanished on me. Now its back and im not interested. I think i will focus more on the Credit Unions from this point on as they have been good to me. 8.99 in not too shabby for both purchases and Cash Advances. I don't see a Cash advance limit as well. I also got a person loan earlier in the year from Gte. Walked in. Asked for 5k cash. In 12 mins the money was in my checking account. very few questions asked since i had already paid off a personal loan with them in the past. was sweet. Now if i can only get Nasa to give up a credit card. Its been 2 months and ive not applied for anything will be 3 months early december. A record for me.

Message 12 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@taxi818 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Thanks all. I guess im gonna have to use it more. For some reason i just have not used it. Iirc it was an instant approval after being a member with them a year. only 5k limit but upon approval they used the old eq beacon 5.0 version of fico. Which was very low. around 663. Still love them with this low rate. so carrying a big balance is not problem at all.

Excellent results on the lower APR taxi.  You're not missing much on the Ring IMO.  CreditCuriosity closed his and combined his CL to another Barclays card and baller no longer has hers (and closed Sallie Mae) not long ago.  CUs tend to offer greater flexibility and diversity especially with sustaining lower APRs and other lending products in the long run. 

Thanks Fin. I had no idea those guys closed their ring cards. Wow. I kinda agree that Barclays is just a bit too picky for me. Ive never done anything wrong with them. Got my Apple card last september and like clock work. every 4 months getting cli albeit Hp. since i had tu inquiries to spare at the time. Early September this year was eligible again and got auto denial. With no Hp. The luv button vanished on me. Now its back and im not interested. I think i will focus more on the Credit Unions from this point on as they have been good to me. 8.99 in not too shabby for both purchases and Cash Advances. I don't see a Cash advance limit as well. I also got a person loan earlier in the year from Gte. Walked in. Asked for 5k cash. In 12 mins the money was in my checking account. very few questions asked since i had already paid off a personal loan with them in the past. was sweet. Now if i can only get Nasa to give up a credit card. Its been 2 months and ive not applied for anything will be 3 months early december. A record for me.

Right.  Now, keep in mind NASA is not the only big fish in town since there are other CUs that can offer comparable results.  Now, I realize you and PenFed had a falling out from a long time ago so maybe that may not be suitable in the long run.  But, there's other like DCU, Alliant, maybe even some local ones in your area like Achieva.  There's others like First Tech FCU or Western FCU that can also work.  You can always try NASA of course but I would suggest getting utilization to an acceptable level and no new apps/accounts for a while.  This will also improve your scores and provide optimal results. 

Message 13 of 17
taxi818
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Right.  Now, keep in mind NASA is not the only big fish in town since there are other CUs that can offer comparable results.  Now, I realize you and PenFed had a falling out from a long time ago so maybe that may not be suitable in the long run.  But, there's other like DCU, Alliant, maybe even some local ones in your area like Achieva.  There's others like First Tech FCU or Western FCU that can also work.  You can always try NASA of course but I would suggest getting utilization to an acceptable level and no new apps/accounts for a while.  This will also improve your scores and provide optimal results. 

Yep, Thats why i have not applied for anything. at 15% util there is no need for me to apply for anything at the moment. In fact i can't see a reason to apply for anything in the next 18 months to be honest. so by that time not only will my util be golden. All the Hps on EQ and EX will Die. Hence raising my scores. according to all simulations. 9 months of not apping and paying down util should have all my scores over 750. Im not so sure but they are rising in leaps and bounds. Ive not changed siggy but current Eq is 719. Tu 747 and EX 722 so they are going up.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

nice apr

Message 15 of 17
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Congrats to the OP on the excellent APR reduction!  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

They lowered my Apr to 8.99. Both purchases and Cash Advances. Not really sure what the different is. But have a card to compete now. So maybe i will just pass on the ring altogether now and focus on them.

Same boat. The Ring was on my want list until I scored a PLOC at 8.9% with BECU. Now it's no longer a priority.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.