Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidance on One Last App

tag
Batsamandrobin
Regular Contributor

Guidance on One Last App

Expecting a big score jump within the next week or so, as I just paid off the majority of a large balance on my Cash+. Assuming my scores increase a fair amount (if they dont, then I won't app), I'd like to take advantage of the boost before heading into the garden. 

I'd really like to get my foot in the door with AMEX or add an NFCU CC (already have the full 15k CLOC). I was previously denied a Navy card when I first joined, but I'm hoping that was mostly tied to the high utilization I was carrying on the Cash+.

As of right now, my daily drivers are the Cash+ and a PayPal 2% MC. Moving in the next ~6 weeks to a Delta hub city and do a fair amount of flying, so the Amex Delta Gold is enticing. Depending on how everything shakes out, I could also end up travelling 1 week out of every month for work, but that travel would probably be more regional and by car. Looking to maximize air travel and gas rewards. 

Current scores are EQ 608, TU 665, EX 627. All scores are from last statement cut, when my Cash+ reported 7200/7500. Card will report at the end of this month at 550/7500. Total utilization will drop from 55% last month to about 4% this month. Any suggestions or recommendations?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Guidance on One Last App

Definatrely wait til your scores tke off.

Your target score for Amex Delta is about 680 EX08. This would get you a $1500-$2000 SL and the knowledge that you wont be bucketed with a card that doesnt grow  Any score less then 680 and you hold your breath

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have also been looking at the Amex Delta but NFCU is the way to go IMO. (I'm targeting the next couple of months expecting a large boost as well).

Treat NFCU good.. and then you'll get the keys to the kingdom. You already have the CLOC so build your portfolio by adding a card. Cash Rewards is good at 1.5% but if you're looking for possible airlines etc I'd try the More Rewards Amex. They should grant you a decent starting line (prob 3-4x more than you'd get with Delta) and it'll grow fast. 

Although I may be bias because I love NFCU haha, but goodluck with whatever you choose!

Message 3 of 4
Batsamandrobin
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have also been looking at the Amex Delta but NFCU is the way to go IMO. (I'm targeting the next couple of months expecting a large boost as well).

Treat NFCU good.. and then you'll get the keys to the kingdom. You already have the CLOC so build your portfolio by adding a card. Cash Rewards is good at 1.5% but if you're looking for possible airlines etc I'd try the More Rewards Amex. They should grant you a decent starting line (prob 3-4x more than you'd get with Delta) and it'll grow fast. 

Although I may be bias because I love NFCU haha, but

goodluck with whatever you choose!

I'm also a big fan of NFCU. The More Rewards card is actually the one I applied for when I first joined, and I was immediately denied. Again, I'm hoping the denial was mostly tied to the high balance I was carrying on the Cash+. Of all the cards in the NFCU lineup, the More Rewards and Go Rewards are most enticing to me. I'm hoping this score bump will push my TU to 700+, at which point I'd feel pretty confident in applying. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.