Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidance on switching out cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guidance on switching out cards

Hello all,

First off, been a fan of the forum but was never a member till today.  Currently, I have the following:

Cap 1QS One: 0 balance/$4,000 CL.  I use it for throughout the month for about $300-$400 and just pay it off.  Had it since 2015. 

BofA Americard MC: 0 balance/$3,000 CL.  Neflix and cell phone and pay it off once I get the statement.  Had it since 2015.  My main bank is BofA.  

Nordstrom Visa: 0 balance/$3,000 CL.  I used it for clothes when shopping at Nordstrom but I no longer need as much clothes.  Had it since 2016 and used 3 times a year so they don't close it.

Amazon store card: 0 balance/$2,000 CL.  Just the Amazon orders needed for the house etc, pay it off immediately.  

Fico 8 Scores are TU: 760 Experian: 762 and EQ: 758.  I had some issues about 6 years ago, 3X charge offs and one repo. But I did pay them off in Oct/Nov of 2014 and kept a strict money in/money out.

So my question is, are there cards you recommend that I get in place of what I have now? I was thinking of dumping the Nordstrom Visa and replace with another Visa (maybe a NFCU) and BofA MC with an Amex.  I do not know which Amex however?  I do like the Cap 1 currently, i still get that 1.5% cashback and they've been loyal to me so I feel like having some loyalty back.  Hoping for some decent rewards. 

Someone recommeded that I should have a Discover, Amex, Visa and MC and call it day.

I do not travel as much as before (my job required me to travel to 6X a year but now I sit behind a desk) so I don't think I need a travel rewards card.  I do go out a few times a month (well not with Shelter in Place) but that is where the $300-$400 comes into play.  Everything else, I pay with my checking account ie utilites, mortgage etc.

Oh - I am looking to replace my car with a new one this year so either pay cash or just do those low low interest/0%.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Guidance on switching out cards

Bank of America - offers product change. You can PC your Americard to either the Cash Rewards or Travel rewards. It's as simple as picking up the phone and requesting it with csr. Also, they do offer SP Soft Pull CLI every 91 days. Something to consider if you don't see the hyperlink on your online portal if/when you have CSR on the phone.

Message 2 of 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 3 of 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 4 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

Bank of America - offers product change. You can PC your Americard to either the Cash Rewards or Travel rewards. It's as simple as picking up the phone and requesting it with csr. Also, they do offer SP Soft Pull CLI every 91 days. Something to consider if you don't see the hyperlink on your online portal if/when you have CSR on the phone.

I suggest the Cash Rewards, Since OP mentioned not much travel.

Maybe a 5% category card Like Discover IT or Chase Freedom?

(As long as you are under 5/24 for Chase)

Amex card that fit's your spend?

PNC Cash Rewards (if you are within their footprint)

probably lot's of other options ..

Message 5 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

First off, been a fan of the forum but was never a member till today.  Currently, I have the following:

Cap 1QS One: 0 balance/$4,000 CL.  I use it for throughout the month for about $300-$400 and just pay it off.  Had it since 2015. 

BofA Americard MC: 0 balance/$3,000 CL.  Neflix and cell phone and pay it off once I get the statement.  Had it since 2015.  My main bank is BofA.  

Nordstrom Visa: 0 balance/$3,000 CL.  I used it for clothes when shopping at Nordstrom but I no longer need as much clothes.  Had it since 2016 and used 3 times a year so they don't close it.

Amazon store card: 0 balance/$2,000 CL.  Just the Amazon orders needed for the house etc, pay it off immediately.  

Fico 8 Scores are TU: 760 Experian: 762 and EQ: 758.  I had some issues about 6 years ago, 3X charge offs and one repo. But I did pay them off in Oct/Nov of 2014 and kept a strict money in/money out.

So my question is, are there cards you recommend that I get in place of what I have now? I was thinking of dumping the Nordstrom Visa and replace with another Visa (maybe a NFCU) and BofA MC with an Amex.  I do not know which Amex however?  I do like the Cap 1 currently, i still get that 1.5% cashback and they've been loyal to me so I feel like having some loyalty back.  Hoping for some decent rewards. 

Someone recommeded that I should have a Discover, Amex, Visa and MC and call it day.

I do not travel as much as before (my job required me to travel to 6X a year but now I sit behind a desk) so I don't think I need a travel rewards card.  I do go out a few times a month (well not with Shelter in Place) but that is where the $300-$400 comes into play.  Everything else, I pay with my checking account ie utilites, mortgage etc.

Oh - I am looking to replace my car with a new one this year so either pay cash or just do those low low interest/0%.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

It seems to me you're doing just fine, so I don't see a need to add anything.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all.  I will do a PC to the cash rewards and applied at the NFCU (dad was in the military and he's a member) with a savings/checking account.  Will be nice to have a CU and go from there.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.