cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guys...I think I messed up.

tag
TiffanyMJones

Guys...I think I messed up.

I'm trying to rebuild my credit (obviously, lol) and I was advised to try what's known as the "Shopping Cart Trick".

Well, I did that. Three times with different places. One of which was the Express Next card.

Then I realized they carried NOTHING in my size, so I called the automated system to cancel my card. This happened within hours of my applying for it.

Granted, it's an SP on my credit, but since I never got the card and closed it immediately, shouldi it affect my score?

Smiley Sad

I derped really really bad, man.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pr0blumz
New Contributor

Re: Guys...I think I messed up.

From my understanding, you were approved on a SP so it shouldn't be a problem. Why didn't you just SD the card for 6 months to gain the payment history to help your scores?
Message 2 of 10
TiffanyMJones

@pr0blumz wrote:
From my understanding, you were approved on a SP so it shouldn't be a problem. Why didn't you just SD the card for 6 months to gain the payment history to help your scores?

Because, like I said, they don't make anything in my size.

I'm not going to buy stuff I can't use, wear, or fit into.

Message 3 of 10
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

No need to buy anything with it. The CL can help improve your overall util and it would be an account in good standing.

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 4 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Most early rebuilders are looking for cards to build a positive revolving history, rather than buy lots of stuff. You don't need to actually use the card for it to report as an open account on your credit file.

If you need something that allows you to spend money and report, then, depending on where your scores/history are, the best option might be a securred card.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 10
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Yea what's done is done now. Just make sure in the future you understand that if you don't use the credit card that it WILL help with your overall util which does help your scores.

I have some of those cards too and I periodically purchase something such as a gift every year to keep those cards active.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 6 of 10
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

It's a good lesson for all of us. Apply for what you can use. Not just because you can be approved. Thanks for sharing. Keep it for the utilization. It looks better than opening and immediately closing a card to underwriters. Good Luck in your credit journey! 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 10
TiffanyMJones

@Rhaeny wrote:
Yea what's done is done now. Just make sure in the future you understand that if you don't use the credit card that it WILL help with your overall util which does help your scores.

I have some of those cards too and I periodically purchase something such as a gift every year to keep those cards active.

I can see if I can reapply in a few months or so. But thank you for letting me know. <3

Message 8 of 10
westo12
Established Contributor

Oh just saw that you closed it.  Never mind. Smiley Happy

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@TiffanyMJones wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

I can see if I can reapply in a few months or so. But thank you for letting me know. <3

Why would reapply for a card you cannot use?? One would not get a card just to purchase gifts on it. Find another one that fits your needs. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.