Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HBC CREDIT CARD QUESTION

tag
bsal
Frequent Contributor

HBC CREDIT CARD QUESTION

I have a question about this offer letter i just got about a HBC MasterCard, here is my info my credit score as of today is transunion= 660 equifax= 717 ex= 700 i have one macys store department card no lates, and i have a installment loan with a bal of 1,400.00 left no lates, i have no car loan and no collections on my accounts and i'm tryin to rebuild my credit , my question is do u think i should apply for this preaproved HBC MasterCard CC or should i throw it away or are they a good card to start off with? what do you guys think?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HBC CREDIT CARD QUESTION

I would try the bank of america pre-approval site.  I would definitely consider the HSBC, I like them well enough.
Message 2 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

@bsal wrote:
I have a question about this offer letter i just got about a HBC MasterCard, here is my info my credit score as of today is transunion= 660 equifax= 717 ex= 700 i have one macys store department card no lates, and i have a installment loan with a bal of 1,400.00 left no lates, i have no car loan and no collections on my accounts and i'm tryin to rebuild my credit , my question is do u think i should apply for this preaproved HBC MasterCard CC or should i throw it away or are they a good card to start off with? what do you guys think?

hsbc can be quirky and difficult to deal with.  you may be eligible for better offers from boa, a cu or discover card.  or even check out cap1's preapproval site.  hsbc can be fine for some, i just don't have the patience for how they do business.

it looks like your scores have entered full recovery mode, v. nice, congrats!  hsbc is not the worst but see if you can do better.  you may soon be glad that you left hsbc by the wayside.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 9
bsal
Frequent Contributor

Well i tried BOA preapprovel and got declined i guess they didnt think i was good enough with my scores what else should i try ?

Message 4 of 9
bsal
Frequent Contributor

well i wouldt mind giving them a try do you happen to have the preapprovel site for cap1 and discover, i did try to apply for ca cap1 card and got declinded just to let u know but also applying for these preappvoles sites i dont get a inquary hit do i?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

no inquiry hit for pre-app sites. just go to capitalone.com, you should be able to find the pre-approval part easily enough.  Your history and the fact that you dont have alot of credit is probably why bofa has nothing for you.  I would try cap1, I would be shocked if they didnt give you a card.  Also, consider the HSBC card, they arent that bad, just use the card so they dont close it on ya.
Message 6 of 9
bsal
Frequent Contributor

Well let me firsty say Happy Fico Marry Xmas and thanks for the advice, i did however try that cap1 preappoval site and they didnt have anything for me as well but they did offer me something else that i have to apply for one card with 0 annual fee another one with 39 annual fee, i dont know if i should apply for those since the preappoval didnt have anything for me i'm scared they might reject me i dont like the inqury hits i have 6 total already? what should i try next discover card? and what kind of funny bizz does HBC do that you dont like inform me if you dont mind?
Message 7 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

if you 'opted out', the preapprovals sites won't have offers for you.  i recently opted back in (i had forgot i opted out).

keep your cool - by taking some extra time you may be closer to the right card pick for you.

discover doesn't have a bona fide preapp. link, just go to their site, discover.com to learn more about their cards.

they are a prime lender that typically requires v. good credit.  i was denied 15 months ago and then recently approved upon reapp. 

anecdotal hsbc f/b:

-gives low starting cl

-if you app for sub prime card, they'll always treat you sub prime with that card, even when you're not

-gives low CLI (and charges for CLI's on some of their low tier cards)

-minimal or no bt, and intro rate promos on some cards

-poor cs

-fee focused lender (then again, who isn't?)

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Additionally HSBC is a lot quicker than other CC's in that they will close your card for inactivity after only 2-3 months of not using it.  So make sure you use it at a minimum of every other month.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.