cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: 700+ FICO, long credit history, no credit cards, which card for miles?

tag
bluesman41

HELP: 700+ FICO, long credit history, no credit cards, which card for miles?

Hi all,

I've recently gotten my FICO scores up to 718 / 719 / 703 from a low point of 506.  (!)  I have about 14 years of credit history, almost completely in student loans.  I have one credit card (which used to be a secured card but was transferred), a Capital One card with a CL of $250.  The utilization on this card is kept under 10%.  Basically I use it only to pay a $9 subscription every month.  Recently I requested an increase to this credit limit but this was denied because I was 30 days late 9 months ago.  My salary is approximately $225K / year; no mortgage, single.  I pay rent of about $2k / month.  I have no other credit.  I have about $200K in student loans, all being paid on time (paid ahead).

I want to get a credit card because, I want the airline miles benefits.  I travel a lot.

In the next sixty days alone, I have to buy round trip tickets from Paris, FR to Las Vegas; Paris to Atlanta; and Paris to Rio de Janeiro.  I want to buy these on a miles-based credit card and reap the benefits.

Given my profile.  Can you please tell me what is the most advantageous card to this purpose for which I will be accepted?  I've never had any luck at all getting credit, but with these scores and my salary, I'm hoping for a change in luck.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HELP: 700+ FICO, long credit history, no credit cards, which card for miles?

Have you pulled all three of your credit reports to look at them? Regarding negatives and number of inquiries. You can pull them for free from www.annualcreditreport.com

I wonder how many cards will approve you with little credit card history and with the Capital One you have you were late on? I would kindly ask Cap1 to remove this? (Also, you didn't say what your credit limit on Cap1 was.. just the balance.)

With your score, your income, and travel needs.. You should consider applying for the Amex Platinum card especially since you don't have another travel CC -- the Platinum charge card would allow you to quickly get the spending power you would need while also providing many travel perks.

More info at:
http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/american-express-platinum-review/
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/platinum

You also seriously might want to consider giving the Cap1 a message on Facebook. They might be able to raise your CL exponentially and product change your card to what you would like. (They may want income verification, which I would think you absolutely wouldn't mind doing if it netted you the results that you would like.)

It's hard to predict how things will go.. I would think with an income that high, the CC company would be a fool not to take you on as a client.

Message 2 of 14
bluesman41

Re: HELP: 700+ FICO, long credit history, no credit cards, which card for miles?

Sorry there was a typo in my initial post.  My credit limit on the Cap One is $250 -- not the balance.  The balance stays at $9. 

You really think one 30 day late $9 payment is enough to deny me credit with FICO scores over 715?  That seems crazy...

Message 3 of 14
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@bluesman41 wrote:

Sorry there was a typo in my initial post.  My credit limit on the Cap One is $250 -- not the balance.  The balance stays at $9. 

You really think one 30 day late $9 payment is enough to deny me credit with FICO scores over 715?  That seems crazy...

If that's the only thing, then no it shouldn't -- but it is fresh. 

Why haven't you applied for a CC before, just curious.

Message 4 of 14
bluesman41

I got hit with some bad luck in my early 20s My father had gotten me an Amex to build credit, then told me he closed it.  He hadn't actually.  I took him at his word, forgot about it and was hit with a charge-off on my first ever CC.  Then some student loan debacles that were later removed.  My scores have always prevented me from attaining credit.  I've only recently started making a high income. 

I can't imagine why Capital One wouldn't raise a 250 dollar limit when my income is almost 100x that...it's so frustrating. 

Message 5 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@bluesman41 wrote:

I'm not sure if other lenders can see how much the late peyment was for or if they even care. Late is late and they don't like seeing that. Credit scores aren't the only thing to determine approval, so don't believe that that will get you many cards and high limits alone. How long has the Capital One card been open? You have a lot of history with loans, but that doesn't hold up as much as history with credit cards. You can try to apply for one or two cards that you actually want and see what happens. Don't apply to tons of cards if you keep getting declines, as that won't help.

Message 6 of 14
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Were you thinking of any cards in particular?
Message 7 of 14
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@bluesman41 wrote:

I'm not sure if other lenders can see how much the late peyment was for or if they even care. Late is late and they don't like seeing that. Credit scores aren't the only thing to determine approval, so don't believe that that will get you many cards and high limits alone. How long has the Capital One card been open? You have a lot of history with loans, but that doesn't hold up as much as history with credit cards. You can try to apply for one or two cards that you actually want and see what happens. Don't apply to tons of cards if you keep getting declines, as that won't help.

I agree with all of this. That's why I mention, OP, to get in touch with the executive office of Capital One and see if you can get them to remove the late, increase your limit, and maybe product change to something else that would be beneficial to you -- maybe Venture or Quicksilver. 

The only way to fix your dilemma of no credit is to apply, but you want to make sure that you're primed for the approving. That's why I would start with the Cap1 office first if you have the patience for it. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
bluesman41

Kenny -- no, not really.  That's the point of this post.  What's a safe bet.  I just want to maximize my frequent flyer miles so I can take extra weekend trips basically.  And more importantly, I want to raise my credit profile as much as possible, because I plan to make some investments (home loan / possible business loan) in the next 2-3 years...generally speaking -- and just being honest here -- I have enough cash to meet my needs and I tend to see all debt as a bad thing. 

Just looking for safe bet credit cards that I'll be approved for and will maximize my miles.

Delta SkyMiles cards, or somethign like that maybe.  But I don't know the terrain; hence I came here...

Message 9 of 14
bluesman41

How do I get in touch with the executive office, Ken?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.