cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP can't close on mortgage - credit card authorized user !

tag
ILBrian
Regular Contributor

Re: HELP can't close on mortgage - credit card authorized user !

Submit CRA dispute that its not your account

Wallet: Discover IT, Discover Gas, Citi Professional (6.74% apr), Chase Freedom, Cap1 Quciksilver, Élan Financial Rewards, BOA Amex, Walmart, CareCredit, Paypal Smart Connect, Kohls, HSBC Cash or Fly, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Zync, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, USAA Plat Rewards, Chase Ink, NFCU Plat
Message 11 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I have no idea why they would list me but they did.  I do not live at that address anymore it is a rental property and that neighbor and I are no longer on speaking terms.

Revenge, maybe?

Very bizarre! Glad you found out.

Someone else mentioned that they thought that a SSN is required for an AU card. It's not.  Smiley Tongue

Anyway, I'd file a fraud report and get that thing off of there.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, all they needed was my name in order to add me as an  AU?   They would not need my SS and/or DOB?

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know with Cap1 an SSN is NOT needed for AU's, but they told me that if I wanted it to report on the AU's account (which I did, since it's for my sister-in-law), they needed her SSN.

But it probably varies between banks.Still, seems strange that they'd let a random person add you in without your consent. Have you tried to contact the creditor to ask about it?

Message 14 of 21
GregB
Valued Contributor

They don't need DOB and probably not SSN. Anyone can add somebody as an AU to THEIR account. They do need to supply your address for mailing "your" card, or at least the card that is supposed to be yours.

I'm concerned about a dispute delaying your mortgage. I think you need to get advise from your mortgage company.

Hard to see any advantage to the other person but perhaps he is trying something dishonest. If he is mad at you, perhaps he ordered stuff with "your" card delivered to "your" address and then took delivery. Seems a poor attempt at identity theft to me.

If you are sure you didn't have anything to do with this I would proceed with calling the bank and saying this was fraud, filing a police report, etc. You should have enough of the information from your credit report to contact the bank. You have part of the account number. How do you know it was your former neighbor? Does it name him on your credit report?

Message 15 of 21
aftermath
Established Contributor

@GregB wrote:

They don't need DOB and probably not SSN. Anyone can add somebody as an AU to THEIR account. They do need to supply your address for mailing "your" card, or at least the card that is supposed to be yours.

I'm concerned about a dispute delaying your mortgage. I think you need to get advise from your mortgage company.

Hard to see any advantage to the other person but perhaps he is trying something dishonest. If he is mad at you, perhaps he ordered stuff with "your" card delivered to "your" address and then took delivery. Seems a poor attempt at identity theft to me.

If you are sure you didn't have anything to do with this I would proceed with calling the bank and saying this was fraud, filing a police report, etc. You should have enough of the information from your credit report to contact the bank. You have part of the account number. How do you know it was your former neighbor? Does it name him on your credit report?

OP mentioned that he called the CC company and they gave him the name of the primary account holder.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having an AU tradeline removed from your CR is simple.  Just dispute the account as not yours and it will be removed.  Once it is removed, you can continue with your mortgage application and then dig deeper into the details of how you became an AU at your convenience.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ILBrian wrote:

Submit CRA dispute that its not your account

I would advise against this if he's in the middle of a mortgage. Filing a police report is a much better idea IMHO. But, before doing that, he needs to explain it to the underwriter and ask what he/she recommends.

Message 18 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Having an AU tradeline removed from your CR is simple.  Just dispute the account as not yours and it will be removed.  Once it is removed, you can continue with your mortgage application and then dig deeper into the details of how you became an AU at your convenience.

+1.  Closing on your mortgage should be first priority.  I would dispute the account as not mines to get it removed.  It shouldn't take them the full 30-45 days to remove them.  You can deal with the AU mess after you get the keys to your home. 

Message 19 of 21
tbolt2
Contributor

I can tell you that Capital One, GEMB/JCpenny, and GEMB/WalMart did not require anything other than a name when I added my wife as an AU.....

Starting Score: 534 11/09
Current Score: FICO 652 05/11
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.