the nearest store 70 miles away I got the letter.  I guess I was just too

slow about using the card.

I

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HH Gregg Closed

Sorry to hear this. I thought Synchrony usually did a CLD for inactivity - guess not. It's a good reminder to use our cards at least once every 6 months just to be safe.

Message 2 of 9
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Sorry for the closure, but that's how synchrony rolls, they are always looking for dead wood to cut, or in this case plastic. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

how long did u keep the card on standby?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im wondering if my Synchrony Value City card will do the same. I'd hate to lose my $3,100 limit on that card...I'm half-way to having a 0%, $2200 living room purchased.

Can't really go to Value City and buy a pack of gum so the card doesn't show not having in usage.
Message 5 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I would never 'waste' money just to keep a card alive, but I have been known to drop by Lowe's for a small token purchase (last time it was $4) just to show some activity.  It's generally not a problem with Belk, since I like to shop there (they have awesome clearance sales - yes, I'm cheap).

Of course, Sam's Club MasterCard and Care Credit are both getting plenty of love these days from me... LOL  Smiley Very Happy

I would recommend anybody with Synchrony cards to use them at least once every six months; preferably every four months or so... that seems to minimize the chances of being closed due to non-use. 

In the case of the HH Gregg card, I'm sure you could likely reopen it (as a new account) if you have a major purchase coming up.  I've never known Synchrony to "hold a grudge" when they close a card due to non-use.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I would never 'waste' money just to keep a card alive, but I have been known to drop by Lowe's for a small token purchase (last time it was $4) just to show some activity.  It's generally not a problem with Belk, since I like to shop there (they have awesome clearance sales - yes, I'm cheap).

Of course, Sam's Club MasterCard and Care Credit are both getting plenty of love these days from me... LOL  Smiley Very Happy

I would recommend anybody with Synchrony cards to use them at least once every six months; preferably every four months or so... that seems to minimize the chances of being closed due to non-use. 

In the case of the HH Gregg card, I'm sure you could likely reopen it (as a new account) if you have a major purchase coming up.  I've never known Synchrony to "hold a grudge" when they close a card due to non-use.  Smiley Happy

Sometimes I stop by Lowe's to buy toilet paper or laundry detergent just to show a lil usage. Smiley LOL Hey it's stuff i would buy anyways. Might as well show Lowe's a lil luv. Don't judge me! LMAO

Message 7 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

Thats a shame. sometimes a few batteries is worth a whole lot. Sorry op.

Message 8 of 9
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

I had my Synchrony Ashley Furnature card closed for inactivity.  15 months old.  $2k CL lost  From now on, i make sure all Synch cards I have get usage at least once a year

Even sooner for hi level accts like Lowes and Amazon for me

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.