Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOTEL CARD ..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HOTEL CARD ..

Hello , I stay in hotels often don't really have a favorite but i stay in marriots , hyatt often hilton sometimes .. what is the best hotel card out there , I have none , my credit cards are AMEX Gold card , amazon visa , cap one venture one , wells fargo platinum & propel , barclays apple card ...

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: HOTEL CARD ..

Well, that depends. 

If you want status, the hotel co brand cards can help with that, but that’s three cards. Many have a free night to defray the AF. Each earns good points with that brand, but all points are in the brand. 

The AMEX Platinum will get you status in Marriott and Hilton but not Hyatt. But poor earnings unless you book through AMEX Travel. 

The Chase Sapphire Reserve earns good points on all travel, transfers to Hyatt or Marriott ( bad rate to Marriott ) or you can buy general bookings most anywhere at 1.5cpp for hotels or airfare.  But no status. 

Each has advantages, drawbacks. 

Your Propel earns decent points, and if combined with a Wells Fargo VISA Signature, the points value can go up. No AF opens relatively good earnings, without being steered to any one brand. And it works on a wide range of travel. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 28
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello , I stay in hotels often don't really have a favorite but i stay in marriots , hyatt often hilton sometimes .. what is the best hotel card out there , I have none , my credit cards are AMEX Gold card , amazon visa , cap one venture one , wells fargo platinum & propel , barclays apple card ...

Amex Hilton Honors cards are talked about a ton on here. Marriott Bonvoy cards offers one free night a year but the points are so-so unless you like staying at a Marriott alot. I'm like you, I travel several times a year and don't have a favorite/preferred hotel brand though I like staying at Hilton, Holiday Inn and doing Airbnb.  You have the Venture One, which you can redeem on Hotel.com through 2019 I believe. I'm hoping within the next month that I can upgrade my Cap1 QS to the Venture One and also apply for the Amex Hilton Honor card when my util goes back down in two weeks for a score boost above 650. So I would definitely take a look at the Hilton Honor cards.

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 3 of 28
drboxing
Established Contributor

I like Hilton, I have the Hilton Card, also have the Marriott Bonvoy which gives me 1 free night per year.

Message 4 of 28
iced
Valued Contributor

I'll put out the obligatory comment that all of these 'what's the best <hotel/airline/travel> card?' threads:

Do not pick a card to determine your hotel/airline/travel patterns; instead, let your hotel/airline/travel patterns decide what card is best for you. Don't start staying at Marriotts just because you hear the Marriott card is "better", nor should you go chasing some card with gold status because 5 other people have it.

Short version: There is no best hotel card out there, period. Instead, think different strokes for different folks.

Now that that's out of the way...

If you stay at Hyatts mostly, and you're happy with Hyatt, pick a card that compliments your Hyatt stays. If you mostly stay at Marriott, get a Marriott card. We also need to know what "often" means to you - to me, "often" is 100+ nights a year, in which case none of the cards with status as a perk mean anything and the only card benefit that makes sense is rapid point accrual. If "often" is 20 nights a year to you, then a card with Gold status begins to make a lot of sense.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m a big fan of the Hilton Ascend. Mid-level card with a $95 AF that’s easily offset by the earnings structure, SUB, and perks/extras at the hotels. We use Hampton Inn the overwhelming majority of the time and are very happy with the card.
Message 6 of 28
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't read through this thread, so I apologize if I am saying something that has already been said.  You have the Capital One Venture?  That is still getting 10x on Hotels.com.  I guess it is a matter of whether you are chasing points or status.

Message 7 of 28
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Of course... in a topic like this you'll get alot of opinions from fans of all brands.  WIth that, I'll throw out my Hilton fan comment provided you ever travel internationally.  Travel overseas opens up a whole new level of treatment, service, and perks for being higher in the food chain.  Therefor, am a huge fan of the Hilton cards, whichever best suits your budget and points/awards interest.

I have been overseas twice over the last 4 weeks, and each stay was upgraded to a suite thanks to the Hilton Aspire Diamond status.  As mentioned above, the Amex Platinum is an excellent perks card, and you get mid level status in both Marriott and Hilton, but not the greatest earnings regarding hotel stays.  Hyatt's a great choice if you find yourself there often also.  Again, the best advice mentioned here was to get the card that accomodates your current habits and patterns, not the other way around. Hope to see an approval post soon!

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wingennis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't read through this thread, so I apologize if I am saying something that has already been said.  You have the Capital One Venture?  That is still getting 10x on Hotels.com.  I guess it is a matter of whether you are chasing points or status.

Thanks everyone , I will continue checking out credit cards . I don't think ill have any problem getting approved scores are pretty good & most of my credit cards are paid off , only have balances on 2 but under 12% utilization . @wingennis Unfortunately it is the venture one not the venture .. but I will upgrade to the venture once my 0 apr expires in october!

Message 9 of 28
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wingennis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone , I will continue checking out credit cards . I don't think ill have any problem getting approved scores are pretty good & most of my credit cards are paid off , only have balances on 2 but under 12% utilization . @wingennis Unfortunately it is the venture one not the venture .. but I will upgrade to the venture once my 0 apr expires in october!

Venture One still gets 10x on hotels via hotels.com!

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.