Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOTEL CARD ..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HOTEL CARD ..

Imo hotels are unlike airlines in that you should just pick one and stick with it. I’m still a pretty big fan of Marriott/spg and channel most of my spend through my bb; I haven’t paid for a hotel stay that hasn’t been reimbursed in years.
Message 11 of 28
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Imo hotels are unlike airlines in that you should just pick one and stick with it. I’m still a pretty big fan of Marriott/spg and channel most of my spend through my bb; I haven’t paid for a hotel stay that hasn’t been reimbursed in years.

Why wouldn't one take the same approach with airlines as well? Unless you only fly LCCs (where status has less impact) the same strategy also certainly works with airlines.

Message 12 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I dont see myself being very loyal to any airline. With LAX and surrounding airports I can get to a lot of places nonstop...but only if I'm flexible on my airline.

And at least for domestic flights, I'll generally take a mediocre nonstop flight over a more comfortable experience with a layover.

Loyalty makes more sense if you fly a lot and get good status, or at least have only one or two options for your airline and know how you'll redeem.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I go the opposite way but I live in a hub city. It’s hard not to be loyal to an airline.  

As as for the OP, if you’re willing and able to move all your hotel stays to one program, I’d just pick your favorite. Don’t let the tail wag the dog because one rewards program might be slightly better than another. 

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I go the opposite way but I live in a hub city. It’s hard not to be loyal to an airline.  

As as for the OP, if you’re willing and able to move all your hotel stays to one program, I’d just pick your favorite. Don’t let the tail wag the dog because one rewards program might be slightly better than another. 

what do u mean to one program?

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

One program, such as Hilton Honors points vs Marriott points. Pick one chain and one program for all your stays and you’ll accumulate points faster than splitting stays and earnings between multiple hotels. We always use Hilton (Hampton Inns specifically) for convenience, and because for the price they’re plenty nice. Sticking with just that chain has allowed us to amass a lot of points, far more quickly than if we stayed at 2-3 different chains.
Message 16 of 28
redpat
Senior Contributor

We switched from Marriott to Hilton and I have been pleased, we get gold w/plat.  We do use Rocketmiles as a wildcard for single night stays since we can get MR rewards, getting anywhere between 15x - 22x and this has worked very well.  

Therefore, all are stays are getting MR points or Hilton points.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m leaning more towards bonvoy because they have much more hotels I mean a lot more , anyone here w those cards they worth it ? 2nd choice was Hilton n Hyatt
Message 18 of 28
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I’m leaning more towards bonvoy because they have much more hotels I mean a lot more , anyone here w those cards they worth it ? 2nd choice was Hilton n Hyatt

I tried Hyatt and gave up, their footprint is to small.  On the other hand I’m finding no problems finding Hiltons, some are next door or across the street from Marriotts that I stayed at.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I stay pretty exclusively with Marriott. So I have the AmEx Spg-now regular Bonvoy (as authorized user). The one free night for the card more than makes up for the annual fee. This card isn't available anymore with AmEx. But they have a version of it over at Chase. Don't know all the differences from the old AmEx Spg. But it doesn't matter, because I can't get in with Chase for many years to come. But, I do find the card worth it for the points earning and for the one free night. 

However, in about a week I will be applying for the AmEX Bonvoy Brilliant. The $300 statement credit, annual free night, 15 elite night credits, purchase protection and return protection (at higher amounts than the regular AmEx Spg) more than makes up for the $450 monthly fee. There are also other perks of the card, but those are the top ones for me off the top of my head. Also, I learned from @AJC and K-in-Boston that Marriott sometimes offers special promotions for earning points or elite nights for cardholders.  So, the Bonvoy Brilliant will work for me quite nicely.

So, if most of your stays are with Marriott, then you may want to consider going that route. 

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.