cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW MUCH SHOULD I PUT DOWN TO START A SECURED CREDIT CARD?!

tag
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

Re: HOW MUCH SHOULD I PUT DOWN TO START A SECURED CREDIT CARD?!

@JayBee_3 wrote:
I called USAA Credit Card department and the CSR stated that they did allow for partial members to apply for the Secured AMEX; although like other CSR's I've dealt with she may have been mistaken.

She is mistaken. I've talked to their CSRs several times (usually for unrelated reasons with my checking account) and I always bring up the secured credit cards, and they usually tell me that anyone can apply for the secured cards... I get excited, thinking their policies have changed. But then after they look into it further, they come back on the line and appologize.

Message 11 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@JayBee_3 wrote:
@Wolf3 Thanks for the info...would it help my potential credit limits later on if I kept raising my limit on the cards and not applying for other for about a year?

Thats one of the magic things about secured cards.  If for example you had two secured cards for 5k instead of 500 and your income supported it, you will be more likely to get a 5k limit to start with an unsecured card.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 12 of 17
kelso33

Would you be better off with say 5k and 5k or 9500 and 500 if you have two secured cards?

Edit:  for limited/no credit history.

Message 13 of 17
YahComb
Established Contributor

I'd say two 5K cards. I think with a short history/thin file you'd still get lowballed a lot on unsecured cards with that single 9.5K side by side with the 500 line.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 14 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Probably 5K and 5K; there really isn't much of a magic boundary north of 5K anyway.

Anyway more on topic, C1 and USAA are redundant: their secured products offer the *exact* same benefits.

I'd recommend trying for a BOFA secured: it doesn't have the same CLI policies, but it has a decent rewards package and it graduates reliably after a year.  That's your default every day card, the other is mostly for goosing tradelines with additional deposits later.

If the question is 5500 total, then 500 + 5000 >> 2525 x 2.  Hence BOFA + either C1 or USAA >> C1 + USAA

Also I concur, the CSR in this case was mistaken to my knowledge.

        
Message 15 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

@JayBee_3 wrote:

Anyone(you don't have to have any affiliation to military) can BANK with USAA now, so you can get CC's through them and they have the secured AMEX.  You just can get insurance and other services through them. 

I just called USAA and clarified with them that all banking products, except the secured cards, are available to the general public.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 16 of 17
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@JayBee_3 wrote:

Anyone(you don't have to have any affiliation to military) can BANK with USAA now, so you can get CC's through them and they have the secured AMEX.  You just can get insurance and other services through them. 

I just called USAA and clarified with them that all banking products, except the secured cards, are available to the general public.

really? i've been told several times that being a partial-member (non-military full member) that we could get most everything except the insurances.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.