cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW WOULD CAPITAL ONE LET THIS HAPPEN!

tag
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

Re: HOW WOULD CAPITAL ONE LET THIS HAPPEN!

@Kidcat wrote:

@KSK1912 wrote:

Long story short, got 2 cap one cards for my soon to be ex DW in january. I believe the platinum and QS1 with $300 limit each. 2 months later i logged in and asked for cli, and both was increased to $800. Since beginning of May, we are seperated so i stopped managing and helping her with her credit. She has everything maxed out, some comenity cards such as VS $1K balance / $1400 limit, fingerhut $1250/$1200 (overlimit) Walmart $550/$500 overlimit amazon $1350/$1300 (overlimit) so you get the picture..

Last month her cap one's were both around $850 balance over $800 limit, this month both balances are over $1600 with $800 limit. I was shocked to see that cap one would allow her to go over limit as much as they did, with the fact that since last month she started getting a lot of late payments on her fingerhut, belk, VS, and Cap one's. Has anyone ever gone over limit as much with Cap One, and if so, did they immediately close the account? She is already one month behind on her payment as well.

Is this a joint or AU account?  How are you able to follow what she is doing with her cards if you two are separated?  If they are not joint or AU accounts, I recommend that you let her dig her own financial grave.  

If they are not joint or AU, depending on your state you will not be responsible.  I live in CA with the most liberal divorce laws, and spouses are NOT responsible for individual accounts in a divorce (even if they used community property to pay).  Believe me I got burned by this rule big time.

I removed her from all of my accounts she was an AU on. My fear was, since we both had the same address until recently, and i do have accounts with the same creditors such as comenity and synchrony, with a lot higher limits, i was afraid they could look at the situation as a household and take AA against my accounts, or lower my limits in fear of me maxing out my cards too. Because i did run in to a little hardship too, but temporary and only couple accounts paid a few days late, never for weeks or months like hers. I worked so hard over the past year and came from lowwww 500's fico, to a mortgage approval in 8 months, and from $500 secured revolving limit to almost pushing $80K now. I do not have cap one but at least i wanted to make sure the other creditors would not look at her accounts and mess with mine. My highest balance with synchrony is $1500 on a $6K limit walmart card, $250 / $6K amazon, $900 / $8500 Sam's, and $400 / $12K on a Lowes and i would definitely not want to lose these accounts.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KSK1912 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Several years ago, my AU ran my Cap One over the limit by several thousand dollars with a rental car returned a month late. They confirmed that as long as I paid on time each month, they wouldn't close it. It took me almost a year to pay it off and they never blinked although they did call me constantly. It had no negative impact on my credit once it was paid back down.

But how did the rest of your credit report look like? Was everything maxed out or was it that one card only?

It was just the one card, but I only had 2 cards back then.

Message 12 of 16
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

@Random_idiot wrote:
Not to be rude or anything, but why are you following her spending? I get it that you feel entitled because you helped her, but you guys are separated. Its unhealthy.

Anyways to your question, just like a persons fitness. They may eat unhealthy but look healthy. It will eventually catch up with you. So like the person above me said, let her dig her own financial grave.

Good riddance.

Perhaps OP is privy to this info because, well they are going through a divorce and financials are discussed when coming to a divorce resolution. Either way it's not really relevant to the discussion or question.  OP was simply asking a question, not for opinions on healthy habits. 

Good way to look at i, thanks creditguy. As to why i do it, 3 reasons:

1: Divorce is not over yet. I dont necessarily keep track of everything she does, but occasionaly check it to where she is headed. She may max everything, and make -me paying them off or, split them - part of the divorce deal. This way i have proof of when the debt had occured.

2: Over last months or so, i have been getting several emails with a new hp added to her cr. I am talking about 15/20 per bureau. I would not care, but she gave a letter one day and it was from a government agency, cant remember what department, but the letter said she could have been effected by a security breach that happened recently. I asked her if she had been applying for credit recently, she said no ( i dont believe it), and asked me to check it and see where they were applied from and gave  me the letter to check it out if it was real, or a fraud letter trying to steal identities.

3: When someone is responsible to watch your 2 little girls for majority of the time, you want to make sure they have everything they need in their household and the bills are being paid on time so they dont go without the necessities of life.

It is not like it makes me happy to see her going down the path she is headed, but at least reassures me that if/when we had financial problems, she was the main cause of it.

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 13 of 16
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@KSK1912 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Several years ago, my AU ran my Cap One over the limit by several thousand dollars with a rental car returned a month late. They confirmed that as long as I paid on time each month, they wouldn't close it. It took me almost a year to pay it off and they never blinked although they did call me constantly. It had no negative impact on my credit once it was paid back down.

But how did the rest of your credit report look like? Was everything maxed out or was it that one card only?

It was just the one card, but I only had 2 cards back then.

I am glad to hear that it is paid off and you got to keep your account open. Luckily they did  not take AA against your account but waited for you to pay it off.

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 14 of 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Reminder to keep the thread on topic. No need to admonish the OP. Keep the dialogue constructive. 

Message 15 of 16
lonnyphillips
Valued Member

+1

@creditguy wrote:

@Random_idiot wrote:
Not to be rude or anything, but why are you following her spending? I get it that you feel entitled because you helped her, but you guys are separated. Its unhealthy.

Anyways to your question, just like a persons fitness. They may eat unhealthy but look healthy. It will eventually catch up with you. So like the person above me said, let her dig her own financial grave.

Good riddance.

Perhaps OP is privy to this info because, well they are going through a divorce and financials are discussed when coming to a divorce resolution. Either way it's not really relevant to the discussion or question.  OP was simply asking a question, not for opinions on healthy habits. 

+1

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.