Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP for CLI or App for a New Card?

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

HP for CLI or App for a New Card?

Hey Everyone,

As I am doing my profile clean up after my wonderful approval by AMEX yesterday I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Barclay Rewards card I've had since the near beginning of my rebuild. Sounds petty, but it's my only card under $10K (it's at $7K). My main goal is to have a large limit for each of the main 4 brands. Here's my lineup:

Visa - Cap 1 QS Signature: $39.9K

Discover - Discover IT: $27.6K

AMEX - BCE: $20K

Mastercard - Barclay Rewards - $7K

So should I do a HP for a hopeful CLI with Barclay or should I close it and App for a new MC? If so, which one? I'm big on cashback and not so much with points. 

My stats are:

EQ: 732, EX: 730, TU: 731

INQ: No more than 5 on any of them

AAoA: 4.5yrs is the least on any of them

UTIL: 3% 

Personal:

Business:

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: HP for CLI or App for a New Card?

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

Hey Everyone,

As I am doing my profile clean up after my wonderful approval by AMEX yesterday I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Barclay Rewards card I've had since the near beginning of my rebuild. Sounds petty, but it's my only card under $10K (it's at $7K). My main goal is to have a large limit for each of the main 4 brands. Here's my lineup:

So should I do a HP for a hopeful CLI with Barclay or should I close it and App for a new MC? If so, which one? I'm big on cashback and not so much with points. 

My stats are:

It is a bit a difficult question.  I have never requested a CLI on any of my 3 Barclaycards and received auto CLIs on my accounts. Not sure how generous Barclays is with customer initiated CLI?  If you plan to app for an new card Citi Double Cash comes to my mind that is a cash back WMC.  Every once in a while I did hit the CLI button just to check if a SP CLI was available and took the offers. Citi Double Cash is my highest limit card now. 

Message 2 of 7
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

Hey Everyone,

My stats are:

It is a bit a difficult question.  I have never requested a CLI on any of my 3 Barclaycards and received auto CLIs on my accounts. Not sure how generous Barclays is with customer initiated CLI?  If you plan to app for an new card Citi Double Cash comes to my mind that is a cash back WMC.  Every once in a while I did hit the CLI button just to check if a SP CLI was available and took the offers. Citi Double Cash is my highest limit card now. 

Are they BK friendly? 

Personal:

Business:

Message 3 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

my thoughts on Barclays is that you could try the "apr reduction/SP CLI technique and see what that yields. Barclays is a little finicky as you know, so you never know with them.

If you're wanting another lender/MC then Ill suggest Sams MC if you can wait a year to get the cash back, because your TU score is in line for it, and you know those Synch cards can go high!

Also, Ill throw out there BOFA....even if you get a card with a $5k sl, you know that card as well can go high.

Chase as you know will auto decline you immediately on any app for BK showing, and as of late supposedly new rule now is 7 yrs for an approval with BK showing.  IF you decide to apply with them, youll be declined, but then call the BD# and recon

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also try the Sams Club MC.  The limit can go high.  Cash back once a year.  Rotisserie chicken for $5, as opposed to $7-8 at the grocery store.

I can't stand Barclays.  Plus, diversity is a good thing when it comes to credit.  If you choose Sams, don't apply online.  Go in the store and you'll get pre-approved after signing up for membership.  My deal was a $40 coupon if I spent $100 that first day.

Maybe check Slickdeals.net for the next Sams Club membership deal.

If you are concerned how these co-branded cards sometimes switch lenders, thereby rendering your credit card useless, the other two choices that come to mind are NFCU and Cap One Venture.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you use the Barclay's? I think they're of the mindset that you have to use it to get their love. If they don't cli, keep the card anyway, it's doing wonders for your aaoa.
Message 6 of 7
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you use the Barclay's? I think they're of the mindset that you have to use it to get their love. If they don't cli, keep the card anyway, it's doing wonders for your aaoa.

I use it for a couple of hundred in reoccuring bills each month. Probably not enough I suppose. I've never gotten an auto increase with them. I started out at $1,500 and then did a HP two or so years ago and got it to $7,000.

Thanks for the suggestions above guys! 

Personal:

Business:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.