Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP's effect on credit scores

tag
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

HP's effect on credit scores

Yesterday (5/21/12) I app'd and was approved for a Citibank Master card. Today MyFICO alerts me and says my score has dropped from 812 to 804 based on the new account HP. First HP in over two years!

Is an 8 point drop typical for an HP? I was prepared for 4 or 5 points. 8 points seems like alot with all things considered. Are the point reductions relative to the existing credit score? I've read were higher scores are more volatile and subject to greater fluctuations.

I assume after my AAofA absorbs this new acct, I'll be taxed a couple more points.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: HP's effect on credit scores

Really, you got that alert so soon? I had an HP on Saturday and I still haven't received a SW alert. I thought they were taking their time rather than it not having affected the EQ FICO.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 2 of 13
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@tmbr10 wrote:

Yesterday (5/21/12) I app'd and was approved for a Citibank Master card. Today MyFICO alerts me and says my score has dropped from 812 to 804 based on the new account HP. First HP in over two years!

Is an 8 point drop typical for an HP? I was prepared for 4 or 5 points. 8 points seems like alot with all things considered. Are the point reductions relative to the existing credit score? I've read were higher scores are more volatile and subject to greater fluctuations.

I assume after my AAofA absorbs this new acct, I'll be taxed a couple more points.

Thoughts?

There is no practical difference between a Fico 812 and 804 (or really between an 812 and a 760) as far as credit worth, APR's, etc. While your pride/ego might have taken a 1% hit for the HP, your "credit" escaped untouched. What good is credit if you don't use it as needed especially when you can expand your portfolio of tools with no actual scoring effect ?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the 8 point drop is pretty normal.  I too have had a simular drop before but after 60 days it went up like 15 points so as long as it was just a pull for your new card and you are in good standing with them for the next few months and really don't carry a balance then you should see a jump in your score before too long.  I wouldn't worry about it though at this point.

Message 4 of 13
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

That's a big drop, but I've read about bigger ones here. There seem to be ranges where there's no impact, small impact and larger impact. Some say the more you get, the less it dings you; though I wouldn't want to test that! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 13
gettingstarted
Regular Contributor

I too had a 7 point drop in my FICO score after a new credit card hit my CR so like the previous poster said as long as you remain in good standing and dont carry a balance your score will go back up.

Chase Military Star MasterCard(5K) Chase MWR MASTERCARD(3K) Discover More Card(6K) USAA World MasterCard(9K) Military StarCard(3K) USAA Platinum Visa (10.5K)

MY FICO SCORES MAY 20TH 2012: EQ 738 TU 747 EX PLUS SCORE 761
In Garden Mode Until May 15th 2013

Soldier Medic
Message 6 of 13
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@gettingstarted wrote:

I too had a 7 point drop in my FICO score after a new credit card hit my CR so like the previous poster said as long as you remain in good standing and dont carry a balance your score will go back up.

Just to clarify: There is a difference between a FICO dropping from an inq and from a new account reporting. FICO can drop as a direct result of an inq. New accounts drop your AAoA, which in turn can lower your FICO.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It cracks me up how concerned people are about INQs. The new account hit will drop you way more than an INQ will. I wouldn't worry about it.
Message 8 of 13
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It cracks me up how concerned people are about INQs. The new account hit will drop you way more than an INQ will. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hey- not picking a fight!  Smiley Happy  I do believe there is something to be said for watching your inqs.  Those with the highest limits and highest scores have the fewest inq.  There is a reason for that.  I know of many who just can't get better limits because they are actively seeking credit.  When I read my own myFICO break down of my current credit situation, it explicitly stated that seeking credit isn't a characteristic of those with the best scores and highest limits. What's your take on this?  Just curious.

OP- Sorry for the thread highjacking!  Smiley Happy

To the OP:  I believe how much an inq affects your score depends on where you are in your credit journey.  Those with highest scores and long AAoA experience harder hits with new inqs then those starting out.  I know when I first started out, an inq only cost me a few points.  My last inq was worth 11 points!  I couldn't believe it.  When the new account reported:  no change to score.  Weird.  I expected it to be the other way around.  YMMV though as usual.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 13
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

i opened a new cc with nfcu and with the inquiry and new account reporting my eq score dropped 7 pts. no biggie ill get it back in no time

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.