cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Check with NJ Address.... Legit? maybe cash advance check?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

HSBC Check with NJ Address.... Legit? maybe cash advance check?

I'm helping a friend that I feel is getting taken advantage of and I post in credit cards because I almost feel like this sounds like it's a Cash Advance Check off this persons Credit Card that is suppose to be paying him.

Ill have check in front of me in about 30 minutes but doing google in meantime I see HSBC Branches listed in NJ by the dozens... would these now be capital one or are they closing... wasn't sure besides the credit cards if they were going to keep anything else within in the states...

my next question is if it is legit and only available in NJ, is there a way he can check funds to clear before depositing and paying fees on his account if the check bounces?

call hsbc direct?

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: HSBC Check with NJ Address.... Legit? maybe cash advance check?

I would think it is most likely a cash advance check (convenience check as some issuers call them, as you use them like a check and don't get an actual cash advance, just get charged as if you had!). 

The only other times I've seen when a credit company would send a check is

a) when there is a balance (because you overpaid) and this happens either automatically or because the user requests it.

b) Some sneaky insurance or credit monitoring offer, by endorsing the check for $5 or $15, you sign up for the unneeded service.

a) is fine, b isn't, and convenience checks are also dangerous.

Message 2 of 4
wreith
Frequent Contributor

I have in the past recieved checks in the mail from Beneficial an HSBC company.  It's a valid check and if cashed puts you in the hole for the amount of the check plus interest which is somewhat high.  I would  shredd that check unless your friend really needs the loan.  I don't know if they report the CRA's or not.  This is a case of really reading the very small print.

01/06/2015 Walmart TU 726
01/06/2015MyFico EQ 705
01/10/2014 USAA FAKO EX 728, EQ 728, TU 728
Discover It $1700, USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $11K, USAA Rewards Platinum MC $12K, CareCredit $13.2K, Chase Freedom $5000, Walmart $4500, Lowes $9800, QVC $1200, HSN $2350, Macys Red Star Store $2900, Paypal smart connect $4022, VS Angelcard $1200, Amazon Store $2500, BCE $4K, Sam's Club Discover $8500, Home Depot $7200, FNBO AMEX $7800
Message 3 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

it's not my friends check or account... called HSBC and they do have Bank Branches but based on what I was googling and what she was saying are open... they are closing left and right.

in end she tried to call person that wrote check to get permission to tell friend it was a good check to deposit and well of course agent got voicemail and that's were the ideas went dry!

in end think he will have to eat the fee to deposit and have it come back bounced, before able to move on with further things like small claims... UGH worse process ever based on me doing it many times over the years!

Thanks all

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.