Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Completely Pulling Out Of USA?

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

HSBC Completely Pulling Out Of USA?

I noticed a week or so ago that you cant sign up for the regular HSBC branded card anymore on the HSBC website...now i just got an email stating that they are closing my online checking account because they ran all their accounts through Chexsystems "due to high fraud among online checking account customers"...

I have had this account opened for years and the only thing on my Chexsytems is an overdraft thing from long before i had this account and they never had a problem with it before? I dont ever use the account basically and havent for a long time so it seems like an excuse to close accounts...

I thought they were just getting rid of their subprime credit card business here, not their entire operations? Maybe the convertion to Capital One for their cards will be sooner rather than later?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: HSBC Completely Pulling Out Of USA?

HSBC's North American operations have suffered heavy losses from the financial melt down.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they sold off all North American assets (remaining traditional branches included).

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 2 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

@JMN wrote:

HSBC's North American operations have suffered heavy losses from the financial melt down.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they sold off all North American assets (remaining traditional branches included).

Considering their overall failure to offer decent products or a reasonably high level of cs in the US, this could be a very good thing for US card holders.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If HSBC leaves North America what happens to Orchard Bank credit cards?
Message 4 of 12
shane82388
Established Contributor

Already sold or there is a deal in place to sell them all to Capital One.

Message 5 of 12
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Orchard Bank cards would most likely be sold to Cap One.
Message 6 of 12
shane82388
Established Contributor

I got a message back from HSBC and they said they reviewed accounts through chexsystems but decided to close all Online Payment Accounts....their online only, fee-free checking account they havent offered in a long time...so i dont feel as bad now lol

Havent ever used it anyway.

Message 7 of 12
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

oh well - and I closed two cards with HSBC last month, one being a MC.  Who knows, maybe Cap1 would have combined that CL with the CL I already have with their MC.  At the moment, I have an HSBC Discover, which I kept open only due to the age of the account.  I wonder what Cap1 will do with the Discover lines.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 8 of 12
john398
Senior Contributor

Seems like Capital one does not like Discover or American Express brands of HSBC so who knows

Message 9 of 12
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Hmmm - I wonder if Discover would let me add this CL to my Discover More card.  Might be wishful thinking -

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.