cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Direct Merchants Change in Term Notice: They' ve gone Crazy!

tag
plasticguy
Established Contributor

HSBC Direct Merchants Change in Term Notice: They' ve gone Crazy!

Current Apr is 7.74 V. As of Jan 2009 rate will be 14.99%. Why? They will be sending me a letter explaining why. After speaking to a Sup, she says the most likely reason is a "BUSINESS DECISION" and it is not just me. Account was open in 99, 12.5 limit. Closing it would really hurt. If I do not accept the terms, the account will be closed. I was told after the rate goes into effect, wait 3 months and call and request a lower rate

However, I carry a GM Card ( also issued by HSBC) that has 7.99 V and they have no plans to change the rate
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: HSBC Direct Merchants Change in Term Notice: They' ve gone Crazy!

@plasticguy wrote:
Current Apr is 7.74 V. As of Jan 2009 rate will be 14.99%. .... Closing it would really hurt. 

That is similar to a lot of reward cards rates.  Why not just use it and PIF?  That way you keep the TL and CL 

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 17
plasticguy
Established Contributor

It's not a rewards card. Besides, Chase has 3 tiers now for the Freedom Card. I will wait for the letter. If it was directed towards me, the term notice would have ( or should) have mention something about information found in theCredit bureaus
Message 3 of 17
plasticguy
Established Contributor

And BTW, Current balance is $7.98
Message 4 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

@plasticguy wrote:
and they have no plans to change the rate

terms can change on short notice regardless.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 17
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

Plasticguy,

How were you made aware of the rate change? Was there one of those small, fine print leaflets included in your recent statement? I'm with HSBC also, and I'm curious as to how they are disseminating this information.

Which HSBC card is this btw? (edited to add: disregard, I see you mention the Chase Freedom above)

Message Edited by Lucid08 on 11-08-2008 02:33 PM
EQUIFAX - 640 1/05/12 - Goal of 720 by Mid May!
Transunion - 637 - 01/15/10
Message 6 of 17
plasticguy
Established Contributor

http://www.directmerchantsbank.com/

This card started out as Direct Merchants and HSBC bought them a year ago. You can't request a CLI or anything like that. The Card still says Direct Merchants Bank, but the CR says HSBC. This mailing was a separate folded piece of paper like a flyer, it was folded and tape and addressed to me

If you go to that website, and click sign in it takes you to the HSBC page
Message 7 of 17
plasticguy
Established Contributor

HSBC Bank Nevada, N.A. is the issuer of the Direct Merchants Bank® MasterCard®. HSBC Card Services and its affiliates are the providers of the various tools, resources and credit card services in this site. HSBC Bank Nevada, N.A. and HSBC Card Services shall not be responsible or liable for any products or services obtained by or through this site or any other pages of a HSBC Card Services site.
© HSBC Card Services Inc. 2006. All rights reserved.
Message 8 of 17
Uniqua
Established Contributor

@plasticguy wrote:
And BTW, Current balance is $7.98

No, they haven't gone crazy. Welcome to the world of CCs!

Clearly you have nothing to worry about if you continue to PIF. Why make a fuss over an APR you're more than likely not going to pay anyway, unless you decide to carry a balance? Closing the CC won't do you any good either.

BTW, 14.99% is not that bad compared to others with APRs in the mid to high 20s.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

14.99% is a horrible APR when the current APR is 7.99%. 
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.