cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Premier World Mastercard - What's the Catch?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC Premier World Mastercard - What's the Catch?

https://www.us.hsbc.com/credit-cards/products/premier/

It seems like an extremely underrated card, as I rarely hear it discussed around here.

*2X Points – on travel
*1X Points – on all other purchases
*TSA Precheck – $85 credit for application fee
*Uber and Lyft – $50 Annual Statement Credits for rides
*Travel coverage –Trip Cancellation Insurance, $1 Million Travel Accident Insurance, lost or damaged baggage coverage
*Competitive, variable APR of 16.49% or 20.49% on Purchases and Balance Transfers
*No Foreign Transaction Fees
*No Annual Fee for Premier clients
*Introductory offer 35,000 Rewards Program
Bonus Points worth at least $400 in air travel, after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months from Account opening

I would argue it's even better than the Wells Fargo Propel for the TSA + Uber/Lyft credits + 35K mile bonus (not to mention the fact that MC is accepted in more places than Amex) and it seems if you have a Premiere Checking Account with them, there's no annual fee.

I know the Premiere Checking Account has relatively high requirements (monthly direct deposit of $5K or more), but even that's not too hard to meet for, say, a mid-career professional.

It's on my bucket list of cards to apply for, once my income goes up a bit more. So what's the catch with this? Are there issues with this bank or the card itself fo be aware of? Is it extremely hard to get approved for this card?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HSBC Premier World Mastercard - What's the Catch?

earning rate is just not very special.

Message 2 of 3
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: HSBC Premier World Mastercard - What's the Catch?

Navy Flagship gives 

3% on travel

2% on everything else

A $100 (Global Entry) or an $85 (TSA Pre✓®) statement credit 

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage when you rent a car for 15 days or less and pay for the rental with your covered rewards card.

Worldwide Automatic Travel Accident Insurance

Travel and Emergency Assistance
This includes medical referral, lost luggage locator service and prescription assistance.

Extended Warranty Service insurance program that provides security beyond the manufacturer's guarantee. 

Cell Phone Protection

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.