cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Retail Services horrible practices... need your help..

tag
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

HSBC Retail Services horrible practices... need your help..

I called not to long ago on my Best Buy store card requesting a credit limit increase, at which point i questions the CSR if she was going to pull my credit report and give me an inquiry, at which point she said no, it is an in house pull, i then asked again and she had assured me, and this was like 2 weeks ago and on todays date i received a score watch aleart, yea my score went up to 713 but i was looking at apping to PenFed, i receive an inquiry on my report, i called best buy and spoke to someone out of the us this time (last time there were fluenty english) and she told me that they always pull the credit, and i said aren't you suppose to advise the customer that their report is and she is like yes, i asked to speak to a supervisor and the line drops, i am fuming right now... i am thinking of disputing it, however i don't think that it will go anywhere.... i needhelp, i hate hsbs right now....
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

Re: HSBC Retail Services horrible practices... need your help..

update, after calling and getting transferred through 5 representatives, i spoke with a CSR in the credit department and confirmed with me that they will notify the credit agencies and have the inquiry removed " due to Bank error" I am a lot happier now, i got a name and an extension number so in case i have to call back which i hope i do not have too.
Message 2 of 9
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Glad to hear things worked out for you.

I've never seen them do a hard pull when asking for a CLI online.

Message 3 of 9
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

1 new inquiry was added to your credit report
HSBC RETAIL SERVICES
Inquiry date: 2/27/2009

Contact: HSBC RETAIL SERVICES, 301 N Walnut St, Wilmington, DE, 198013974   •   (302) 478-9056
What is an inquiry? Score Watch® sends you an alert of a new inquiry when there has been an application for a new credit account in your name.

How inquiries impact your score: New inquiries on your credit report may lower your FICO® score by a modest amount. Multiple inquiries can lower your score a little more than a single inquiry. But note that multiple inquiries within a two-week period that are associated with home or auto loans are treated as a single inquiry.

Multiple inquiries may indicate that you are in desperate search of credit. Typically, the more badly you need credit, the greater the chances that you cannot pay debts. This is why inquiries can cause a modest drop in your FICO® score.

You only receive inquiry alerts as the result of applying for new credit accounts or opening a new account with a lender. These are the only types of inquiries that affects your FICO® score. Other kinds of inquiries, such as promotional inquiries made by credit card companies to pre-approve you for an offer, have no effect. Similarly, inquiries resulting from you accessing your own credit report, have no effect.
Message 4 of 9
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Just check to be sure they really remove it.  Once they told me they would remove an inquiry and never did, and then they told me they changed their mind and they would not.  This is after I went way up the ladder and was speaking to some very-high-up office. They stuck by their rule that the would  not remove an inquiry.  I wish you better luck.
Not applicable

I have a similar problem.  On 2/15/09 HSBC/Rs did a hard inq on EQ and subsequently gave me a CLI.  I'm happy with a CLI, but the thing is that I did not initiate it -- no call, and no luv button.  I want that hard inq removed or recoded.  My EQ report went from "Good" to "Not Good" on the new accounts or recent inquiries because of it.

I have now called 10 phone numbers, including the one listed above (which is disconnected, btw) and cannot get a straight answer out of anyone.  I now have an address and a fax number for Retail Services here in the U.S., but cannot get in touch with anyone who can help me.

Trés frustrated, and not a little PO'd.

Message 6 of 9
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

I called last week to see if my Best Buy card was even eligible for CLI's.  Since there is no luv button when I log into my account online, I thought maybe I had a Plan B card that is not even eligible.  The CSR said yes and asked if I wanted her to process a request for a CLI.  I asked if it would result in a hard pull and she said yes.  She said that ANY time a customer requests a CLI, it is a hard pull.  She did say that they do in-house reviews periodically that could result in a CLI, but there is no way to predict when that would happen.  The in-house reviews do not require a credit pull, but we are at the mercy of HSBC as to when/if these occur.

It is too bad that not all CSR's are so knowledgeable.  That is what happens when customer service is contracted out to call centers like it is with so many products these days.  The CSR's you talk to about almost anything in today's world rarely work for the actual company you think you are calling.

Message 7 of 9
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

update, i had initiated a dispute with EQ since HSBC went back on their word, and i disputed the inquiry saying that i did not authorize this inquiry, and the inquiry was removed the next day... so my hats off to EQ...
Message 8 of 9
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

@valley_man0505 wrote:

I called last week to see if my Best Buy card was even eligible for CLI's.  Since there is no luv button when I log into my account online, I thought maybe I had a Plan B card that is not even eligible.  The CSR said yes and asked if I wanted her to process a request for a CLI.  I asked if it would result in a hard pull and she said yes.  She said that ANY time a customer requests a CLI, it is a hard pull.  She did say that they do in-house reviews periodically that could result in a CLI, but there is no way to predict when that would happen.  The in-house reviews do not require a credit pull, but we are at the mercy of HSBC as to when/if these occur.

It is too bad that not all CSR's are so knowledgeable.  That is what happens when customer service is contracted out to call centers like it is with so many products these days.  The CSR's you talk to about almost anything in today's world rarely work for the actual company you think you are calling.

Just out of curiosity I wonder how many people actually get CLI w/HSBC without asking, and/or without a charge. I think we should take a poll because. I had them for a long time and never once received a CLI out of the kindness of their hearts. Any CLI I received I asked for and had to lower my values by paying for it at $10 bucks a pop.  It is a humiliating experience having credit thru HSBC.
Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.