Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC reporting balance on closed account

tag
casmith1980
Established Contributor

HSBC reporting balance on closed account

I had an Orchard Bank card that I closed a few months ago but here is still a balance reporting ($129)...I've paid the card in full but for some reason HSBC hasn't updated the new balance to the CBs. 

Should I dispute the amount via EQ, EX & TU or just call HSBC and ask them to update their records? 

Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: HSBC reporting balance on closed account

Technically, you should probably call HSBC.

Realistically, you'll probably end up disputing the erroneous information with all three CRA's.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

Technically, you should probably call HSBC.

Realistically, you'll probably end up disputing the erroneous information with all three CRA's.

+1

When you call HSBC or message them you'll get the scripted HSBC reports account monthly to the CRA's please allow 30-60 days for the accounts to update, thank you for your business we value you as a customer blah blah blah. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd caution you to not jump to a dispute immediately if you can wait it out for a month or two... word of warning: if it's a positive trade line and you dispute it just to get an updated balance, there is a considerable chance they just won't respond and you will end up with the tradeline disupted, never to show up again.  

Good luck!

Message 4 of 6
kjm79
Valued Contributor

5 months after closing my HSBC account (PIF right before I closed it) it was still reporting a balance and as open.  I called HSBC, and got the same script language as a previous post.  I waited another 2 months and still nothing.  I ended up having to dispute that the account was closed by me and the balance was zero.  Fixed in a week.  I think HSBC doesn't care about the accounts once their closed. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 5 of 6
john398
Senior Contributor

Call thecredit analyst line and see if they can update, they were able to help me on a similar situation last year

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.