cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardest Credit Cards To Get - For "Normal" People?

tag
saggy1
Established Member

Re: Hardest Credit Cards To Get - For "Normal" People?

Thank you for the replies, but lets keep it on topic - Please. Just a simple list is good. An explanation why you chose what you did is fine too.

Thanks

Message 11 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@saggy1 wrote:

Thank you for the replies, but lets keep it on topic - Please. Just a simple list is good. An explanation why you chose what you did is fine too.

Thanks

Didnt realize I was getting off topic there, sorry Smiley Embarassed

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 20
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Penfed plat rewards

Edit to add- 5% gas, 3% groceries, 1% elsewhere. 9.99% APR. No af. $250 sign up bonus.

You need just about perfect credit to get approved for this card.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 13 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Other than the Penfed top tier cards, I'm not certain there are any anymore.

The underwriting criteria for CSP/BCP and others has fallen through the floor, SPG too and Barclay Ring wasn't that hard to obtain previously.

My consideration for difficult to obtain is near gold-plated, somewhere around 740 FICO and established tradelines, no thinnish file either.

Most cards that are generally considered to be goal cards by most of the forum have dropped to 680 FICO underwriting or so, where before that wouldn't have passed muster for either Amex or Chase on their pinnacle products available to mortals.

US Bank Cash+ may be one of the next hardest honestly, there just doesn't seem to be many out of the reach of the average FICOed person anymore.

Will probably change eventually but it's a good time to be in a spot to upgrade your cards. Really wish I'd started this journey a year earlier Smiley Happy

        
Message 14 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

IPhone posting: to clarify the products mentioned still require a well established credit file, they just no longer require the excellent FICO score that they did previously.

One card for a year isn't going to cut t still in my opinion with them even north of 700 FICO typically though every credit profile is individual to the consume and as such YMMV

        
Message 15 of 20
saggy1
Established Member

In no particular order:

Amex BCP

Chase Sapphire Preferred

JPM Select

US Bank Cash +

Citi Diamond Preferred

Discover IT/ More

Chase Freedom

Message 16 of 20
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
Other than the Penfed top tier cards, I'm not certain there are any anymore.

The underwriting criteria for CSP/BCP and others has fallen through the floor, SPG too and Barclay Ring wasn't that hard to obtain previously.

My consideration for difficult to obtain is near gold-plated, somewhere around 740 FICO and established tradelines, no thinnish file either.

Most cards that are generally considered to be goal cards by most of the forum have dropped to 680 FICO underwriting or so, where before that wouldn't have passed muster for either Amex or Chase on their pinnacle products available to mortals.

US Bank Cash+ may be one of the next hardest honestly, there just doesn't seem to be many out of the reach of the average FICOed person anymore.

Will probably change eventually but it's a good time to be in a spot to upgrade your cards. Really wish I'd started this journey a year earlier Smiley Happy

I couldn't agree with you more. Over the past 6 months or so, the criteria for approval have dropped significantly for many of the "hard to get" cards. There really isn't anything that is too difficult to get.

Even the palladium card is doable for mere mortals. If you hand CPC 250k and become a private client, you can have one. While 250k may sound a lot to many people, in the grand scheme of things it's not that much. Any high-earning professional who is responsible about their wealth acculumation, and with no major financial obligations can save this much eventually.

Most doctors, moderately successful attorneys, upper-middle level management, successful small business owners, and others with similar earning power can all get there. Yes these people earn more than most, but I'd say that they still are in the realm of mere mortals. Those that aren't IMO are UHNW individuals and their ilk.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 17 of 20
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

I would think any Amex revolver and The City Thank You.. No?
Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 20
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

There's a reason there aren't a lot of cards like this.  There's no point in it.  People with a 680 score still have a relatively low default rate and are thus profitable.  There's not a lot of value in creating a product that is restricted to people with 740 or above scores.  They'd just be leaving money on the table.

There is some value to creating niche products for those with high net worth, so you see cards like Centurion and Palladium.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 20
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@saggy1 wrote:

In no particular order:

Amex BCP

Chase Sapphire Preferred

JPM Select

US Bank Cash +

Citi Diamond Preferred

Discover IT/ More

Chase Freedom

I would add Penfed to this list, and take Discover and Freedom off, as they seem to be not as hard to get (as they have been in the past).

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.